• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Komoot - Is it me or is it just a bit rubbish?

Tappers67

Sep 21, 2022
Warwick, UK
I'm fully willing to accept it could be me or my tech or both causing the issue but is it actually that good? I really want to like Komoot, and use it for routes and rides but every single time I've tried to use it, a dozen times or more, to follow a route whether on my ebike using either my Garmin 530 or my Garmin Fenix 5+ I've ended up off route so many times that I've switched it off. I've even had the same problem on my Fenix going for a walk!

I constantly find it telling me to turn when there's either no immediately obvious turn or when there's more options than shown on the map, it's a nightmare.

Any suggestions as to either improving its performance with what I've got or an alternate route planner please? I'd just like to be able to search and find routes, upload them and follow them,

Solution
I do this beause the komoot ride planner is absolute dog mess....

Manually plan rides with the ridewithgps.com website
Change the default map in the top right corner to "OSM Cycle" and it shows all the National cycle routes in the UK such as this, every one of those coloured lines is part of a nartional cycle route
Untitled.jpg

Also look at netherlands... every road is basically for cyclists... must be a dream over there.

Stick to them as much as possible when riding on your commutes/tours, they won't all be on roads either, loads of them up North where I live are waggonways and gravel paths that carve through he countryside away from roads

That map mode also shows local cycle paths running alongside roads etc as well as blue lines...

Richywalker64

Nov 14, 2020
Hartlepool
I use it on my phone and find it quite good but not perfect, it never takes me off track.
Do you have it installed on your phone?

The only issue I have is when I connect it to my Kiox 300 I sometimes loose the connection between the phone and bike for no apparent reason
It's also impossible to reconnect when in the middle of nowhere without a phone signal as it seems to need an Internet connection.
I then have to use Komoot on my phone which flattens the phone battery keeping the screen illustrated.

Ark

Mar 8, 2023
Newcastle Upon Tyne
I do this beause the komoot ride planner is absolute dog mess....

Manually plan rides with the ridewithgps.com website
Change the default map in the top right corner to "OSM Cycle" and it shows all the National cycle routes in the UK such as this, every one of those coloured lines is part of a nartional cycle route
Untitled.jpg

Also look at netherlands... every road is basically for cyclists... must be a dream over there.

Stick to them as much as possible when riding on your commutes/tours, they won't all be on roads either, loads of them up North where I live are waggonways and gravel paths that carve through he countryside away from roads

That map mode also shows local cycle paths running alongside roads etc as well as blue lines when you zoom in

makes it really easy to plan a roam knowing you can avoid mixing with cars etc as much as possible.

Sometimes when you click a point on the map, the path it chooses will get confused and take a detour even though it shouldn't. If that happens just click the undo button and change the map mode to Satellite or whatever and try again and it should follow the route properly, then switch back to OSM Cycle so you can see the best ways to go.

When youre done save the route and export it to a GPS file to put on your garmin, or if your using the Bosch Flow app you will need to instead upload the gps file onto komoot and have komoot sync the ride to the Bosch flow app. ( don't let komoot replan the ride though! have it stick to your preplanned path)

Every route I've planned the line on my phone to follow has been exactly perfect and spot on with no confusion as to where to turn etc

@Richywalker64 if you have the actual komoot app on your phone then theres an option to save each route onto the device locally so you won't need the internet to start them.
it won't help with your kiox and no internet but it means you can just directly use the komoot app as a backup until you get internet back on your phone.

I already complained to Bosch that with the Flow app if it crashes and you lose your route, your basically buggered if you have no internet.... apparently they passed my concerns on to the devs

Last edited:
Solution
Feb 27, 2023
Teesside UK
I use it on my phone and find it quite good but not perfect, it never takes me off track.
Do you have it installed on your phone?

The only issue I have is when I connect it to my Kiox 300 I sometimes loose the connection between the phone and bike for no apparent reason
It's also impossible to reconnect when in the middle of nowhere without a phone signal as it seems to need an Internet connection.
I then have to use Komoot on my phone which flattens the phone battery keeping the screen illustrated.
I have found that the GPS signal from my phone to Kiox is really intermittent so have fitted my Wahoo to top tube as an alternative GPS.

Upload route to Wahoo memory and off you go.
Screenshot_20230522_110029_Gallery.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles