• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Recommend me a Multitool

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
My last one (that came free with my Spesh Camber 6 years ago) has succumbed to death by iron oxide so with Father’s Day approaching it seems like the perfect time to replace it.

What’s good? Can’t be too expensive as mini-me will be paying for it.

Iain at the back

Founding Member
Mar 7, 2018
Labamo
My last one (that came free with my Spesh Camber 6 years ago) has succumbed to death by iron oxide so with Father’s Day approaching it seems like the perfect time to replace it.

What’s good? Can’t be too expensive as mini-me will be paying for it.
I've got a Topeak Mini 20 and it's great. Nice and compact with a little cover. Can be had for about £20

Highflyer

Patreon
Mar 29, 2018
Northern Ireland
492079BE-BF4A-4174-837A-49959EB942CF.jpeg
C69909F5-0485-43C3-9F16-DFD8D0EBC111.jpeg

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Topeak multi tools have a decent reliable chain breaker , which seems to be one of items that I’ve seen fail in use on other top brands , nothing worse that being stranded because your multi tool doesn’t do what it should They don’t seem to corrode or seize up up after a winter season in your bag iether .

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
I'm going for the Topeak Alien II, £25 at Hellfrauds on price match.
That’s got a lot of tools I wouldn’t use or need on my bikes like spanner’s , and bottle opener etc , but great choice if you do need need them
The 20 had done me well , I also carry a tiny leatherman mainly for its pliers and wire cutter , which multi tools don’t do , little blade can also be handy

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
@Kernow makes a valid point. When chosing a multitool take a look at your bikes and work out which tools you need to cover all the eventualities. there's no point having 20 tools if you don't have anything to use half of them for.
I must have 10 multitools kicking around and a couple that live on the bikes (roadbike and Enduro) along with a few spares
on short rides I just take a tiny wee folding tool with 2,2.5,3,4,5,6 Allen keys, a T25 and screwdriver. Long rides much the same tools but incl a chaintool, C)2 head, carts and a tube.
Pedals will open bottles. or a rock or a fence or a belt buckle or a lighter etc..
my favourite multitool is a really cheap minimalist super light weight one from Decathlon as it doesn't ruin the cut of your trousers/shorts in your pocket down the pub. I'm an ex-DHer. Of course I'm that vain. ;)
big_2457d942b4874ca3af5ee471801ca72f.jpg

Fans of OneUp/SWAT style solutions. if you run a 15mm Maxle you can hide tubeless worms and a tool for inserting them in a wee bag inside your maxle skewer (sorry. I don't know if this is possible with Fox etc.) use a ziptie about 150mm long, fold it and wrap it lengthways around your (clingfilmed) tubeless stuff and insert it in the hollow end of the skewer so the end of the ziptie will protrude then when needed you simply pull the ziptie out. et voila! You'd never know it was there and it's one less thing to have to think about taking with you.
I've been stashing things on bikes since I was a kid. I think it all started from stashing an emergency pound note under the rubber brake hood covers on my roadbike when we cycled places I still do this to this day only it's a fiver now.

phutureproof

Jun 4, 2021
Oxford
Old thread, but why start a new one??

I'm also after a multitool. I have a Park Tool IB-2 which is very pretty and small, but also very fiddly to use. I do wonder if just having a concise set of normal allen keys is a better way to go? Or are there any multi tools that are actually good/a pleasure to use?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Topeak Hexus ii

This is an updated version of the Topeak multitool that I've had for over 20 years. The chain splitter is finally starting to fail on me, and the tyre levers need holding on with a rubber band. Not bad for over 20 years use, so I have just bought its replacement. Very happy with it.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles