Known issues - 2018 Turbo Levo Carbon

eboy

Apr 10, 2019
Syracuse
I'm close to buying a 2018 Turbo Levo S-works or an Expert. I'm looking at a couple private party deals and was wondering what issues I might be looking for? In researching this I found a possible Ohlins Fork/Suspension issue. I found that the bike's motor might need a firmware update if the original buyer bought it early in 2018 and never had it done. I found that the battery might need an update. I found that a couple folks got water under the switch and battery blinked red all the time. A couple folks had motor "lurching" issue maybe due to battery going low.

Does anyone have any experience with these things or any other things I should lookout for when checking out the bike? Thanks...

kungdog

Feb 27, 2019
uk
My friend has a 2018 expert, just had the forks done. Cost him around £80. He hasn't got round to having the firmware updated yet.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Make sure you are able to see a full diagnostic condition of the bike via the Mission Control App - this should tell you the battery condition and if any faults with the bike - get the current owner to log on tot he app with you present and go through this info, rather than rely on screen shots.

There have been issues with crap getting into the motor casing - you should check this.

Mavik

Jan 4, 2019
Malaysia
I'm close to buying a 2018 Turbo Levo S-works or an Expert. I'm looking at a couple private party deals and was wondering what issues I might be looking for? In researching this I found a possible Ohlins Fork/Suspension issue. I found that the bike's motor might need a firmware update if the original buyer bought it early in 2018 and never had it done. I found that the battery might need an update. I found that a couple folks got water under the switch and battery blinked red all the time. A couple folks had motor "lurching" issue maybe due to battery going low.

Does anyone have any experience with these things or any other things I should lookout for when checking out the bike? Thanks...
I ride with a group with 3 S-Works and 2 Comp Carbons (incl mine), so far the issues we faced for the S-Works regarding the Ohlins suspension was solved by a warranty fix (the shop where they purchased their bike did it and now their Ohlins have the "EVO" sticker). Other issues faced were some creaking sounds which some managed to fix and one had can't find the source. My motor has some funny cricket noises at high cadence which I am in talks with Specialized Rider Care and another S-Works recently had a motor seized up (the one with the highest mileage in the group). Overall, we still all love our bikes and it doesn't really affect us much as most of us have our manual bikes as a backup.

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
2018 Levo comp with 5500km on the clock, and 107 charge cycles. Battery health at 91%
No real issues
Rear wheel bearings at 2000km, but cheap and easy to do yourself. Fronts due to be changed this week.
Motor mounts loose at 800km so tightened and no more squeak.
On second cassette and chainring and numerous chains., second set of tyres.

Spin the cranks backwards. Should spin freely without turning the chain. Feel smooth with no bearing noise.

eboy

Apr 10, 2019
Syracuse
Thanks for this info. Ended up getting the S-Works. Took it to the store where the previous owner got it and they updated the firmware. Other than that this bike is a beast! SO much fun!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles