Knocking when rolling over cobbles, battery rattle?

RipGroove

Jun 3, 2022
Glos/UK
'20 Stereo 160 (625)

I get a constant knocking/rattle from the front end of the bike if I roll over small concrete cobbles, like this sort of thing:

old-town-europe-sunset-retro-260nw-1539526373.jpg

It's recently had a new Superstar headset fitted which doesn't appear to have any play and I don't think I can feel any play in the forks (hard to tell though) so could this be the battery knocking that I've heard about? I guess I need to order one of those Bosch battery damper bits of foam and see if that solves it. Anyone else had similar?

Bummers

Mar 12, 2022
UK
Very likely to be both battery rattle and the famous Bosch motor rattle.
Trial and error with the battery using bits of foam.
Also when you take the battery out check the cable run alongside it, mine had a lot of play and could slap about.

RipGroove

Jun 3, 2022
Glos/UK
Very likely to be both battery rattle and the famous Bosch motor rattle.
Trial and error with the battery using bits of foam.
Also when you take the battery out check the cable run alongside it, mine had a lot of play and could slap about.
Cool, I'll take a better look then and shove some foam or something in there and see what happens.

RipGroove

Jun 3, 2022
Glos/UK
A basic troubleshooting rule I learned the hard way is don't skip past the simple/easy tests.

Take the battery out and then ride the same road - is the noise still there?
Haha well I did think of that, but the only place I can consistently get it to make the noise on command is really far away. I'll find something more local that'll do the same trick.

Trom

Sep 1, 2022
Holmfirth
My Cube stereo 750 bosch smart system battery has a metal chattery rattle from the top front portion, if you remove the battery cover then with the key lock engaged, try to push the battery up where the plate within the frame engages at the top, you can see and hear the metal part of the lock rattle, as it is vibrating against the battery engagement slot.

I bought a foam damper, as reccomended by Rob on the Trek thread, but its no different ! as the foam fits at the bottom of the battery where the terminals actually engage, but there is no play/rattle here, also the foam makes removing the battery a pain.

The upper locking mechanism operated by turning the key (silver part) has so much play its barmy, so going to try foam behing the battery against the backing tray, which should help take out the vertical play. Also in the downtube there are plastic channels either side where the various cables run, these also make a rattling soung if you tap them. why should we have to F about with a 65k bike is ridiculous.

Mr Robert Bosch get on the case please !!

T

RipGroove

Jun 3, 2022
Glos/UK
My Cube stereo 750 bosch smart system battery has a metal chattery rattle from the top front portion, if you remove the battery cover then with the key lock engaged, try to push the battery up where the plate within the frame engages at the top, you can see and hear the metal part of the lock rattle, as it is vibrating against the battery engagement slot.

I bought a foam damper, as reccomended by Rob on the Trek thread, but its no different ! as the foam fits at the bottom of the battery where the terminals actually engage, but there is no play/rattle here, also the foam makes removing the battery a pain.

The upper locking mechanism operated by turning the key (silver part) has so much play its barmy, so going to try foam behing the battery against the backing tray, which should help take out the vertical play. Also in the downtube there are plastic channels either side where the various cables run, these also make a rattling soung if you tap them. why should we have to F about with a 65k bike is ridiculous.

Mr Robert Bosch get on the case please !!

T
I haven't tried the damper yet but will try padding out around the battery with a cloth or something and it that helps I'll do sometimes more permanent.

Bummers

Mar 12, 2022
UK
I noticed the same about the locking mechanism, how much it moves and rattles. Not sure how you'd dampen it though without affecting it's use.

MrPeaski

Sep 21, 2020
South Wales
I've used Sugru as extra support for the battery.
This is my battery tray.
A 5g pack makes a ball about 18-20mm wide so I stuck half a ball in 6 spots, wrapped the battery in cling film (to stop it sticking) and refitted it. Push the battery in so it just fully clicks into place
Leave it for 24 hours to cure and the Sugru is solid, but still has a little give. No problems getting the battery in or out.
As you can see the sugru gets squashed down adding support, as there was a fair gap to the tray.
The blob in the middle at the bottom is a screw covering grommet for the cable tray that sits under this battery tray.

This is a 2020 160 Action Team
20210608_214403.jpg

The noise I get is the standard Bosch rattle that most seem to get

Trom

Sep 1, 2022
Holmfirth
I’ve been trying to get to the source of the rattling noise from the cube stereo Hybrid Action Team 160 2022 for a while now, packed battery with foam etc, and stripped headset, greased etc.
However it’s none of these,!
I spoke to a new Cube dealer who pointed out straight away that...oh yes I know what’s causing it THE FOX FLOAT X2 Shock is the source of the Rattle click pop noise. There is a fault with the piston on a batch of these, send it to dealer, and Silverfish will be able to sort the fault. It is caused by the faulty piston or seal going from compression to rebound apparently.
So sent it off, got it back few days ago, went out today, and it works a treat, and no more frigging knocking, !!. Sorted. Maybe same on Trek rail, FOX X2 problem, so not a Bosch motor problemo, so come on FOX do a re call, and save anyone else from the grief.
Happy riding one and all 👍🏻

Bummers

Mar 12, 2022
UK
I forgot about this, yeah the shock issue was discovered in one of the Facebook groups and quite a few people sent theirs off to be fixed. Quick turnaround Apparently, less than a week.

Choppersquad

Nov 10, 2021
Leatherhead
My 160tm has this knocking noise but it sounds more like its coming from the forks or further forward than the shock. Will muck about with foam and stuff round the battery and see what hapoens.

Bummers

Mar 12, 2022
UK
My 160tm has this knocking noise but it sounds more like its coming from the forks or further forward than the shock. Will muck about with foam and stuff round the battery and see what hapoens.

That's one of the issues is finding where it comes from. The sound travels through the frame. It could very well be the shock.

Richywalker64

Nov 14, 2020
Hartlepool
I am also having an issue with knocking on my Cube stereo hybrid action team 160 as described above
After trying the hacks above I also believe it's the rear shock absorber, just finished riding it up and down the street with no battery in bouncing on the pedals and still knocking minus the battery
Hopefully get a new shock under warranty 🤞

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles