Knocking from SR Suntour Aion Fork

Stibbs

Apr 15, 2020
Uk
It's the most annoying sound, is there anyway of stopping it?
I don't have the pcs cartridge in mine just the rc model

srikarwarrior

Apr 26, 2020
India
From which side do you hear the knocking sound..is it from the damper side or from the air chamber side.? did anyone fix it for real?

Stretch40

Jun 26, 2019
Durham
Hi I don't think u can fix the squelchy sound it's a suntour thing I don't notice it anymore most the time? And when my knock happened first time I found the nut on the bottom of the air side was loose tightened and fixed I only hear a knock now if it bottoms out which isn't very often now I'm running more spacers only on big jumps to flat really or I hit a tree stump the other day that bottomed it out and I nearly went otb but got away with it ? I find the fork really good tbh it's better than my mates revelation but not as good as my other mates lyrik?

Stibbs

Apr 15, 2020
Uk
I removed a token and the knocking stopped it's just this horrible squelch sound I don't like now it does it all the time, I've contacted suntour in the UK and there looking into it for me

srikarwarrior

Apr 26, 2020
India
I removed a token and the knocking stopped it's just this horrible squelch sound I don't like now it does it all the time, I've contacted suntour in the UK and there looking into it for me

I think that sequel sound can be fixed by putting some grease on the foam and other parts of the fork...cause the fork comes dry from the factory so it is expected .. Don't forget to use good grease like slikoleum or sram butter..
Are you using the stock negative spring or you changed it? How much do you weigh and what psi are you running at. .

Stibbs

Apr 15, 2020
Uk
I have ordered the soft negative spring as I only weigh 70kg and I'm running it at 80 psi now

Stibbs

Apr 15, 2020
Uk
I think that sequel sound can be fixed by putting some grease on the foam and other parts of the fork...cause the fork comes dry from the factory so it is expected .. Don't forget to use good grease like slikoleum or sram butter..
Are you using the stock negative spring or you changed it? How much do you weigh and what psi are you running at. .
I stripped the forks down are there full of grease already

deksawyer

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jan 11, 2020
Fife, Scotland
When I took mine apart to increase the travel, a small amount of oil came out the bottom. I never replaced or added any grease.
Since then I've been getting that soft springy squelchy sound on top out, or when I lift the front end. Was a definite hard knock before.

srikarwarrior

Apr 26, 2020
India
When I took mine apart to increase the travel, a small amount of oil came out the bottom. I never replaced or added any grease.
Since then I've been getting that soft springy squelchy sound on top out, or when I lift the front end. Was a definite hard knock before.
So taking off some extra grease made that sound less? What damper is yours?

deksawyer

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jan 11, 2020
Fife, Scotland
Worth changing imo. Lockout on a ebike is useless, again, imo.

You want the part from the Auron:

RC2 PCS Cartridge

I ordered from somewhere in France and it did not come with all dials and controls like it says in the link. Its Suntour USA so maybe their policy is different.

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
My noise occurs when the fork ends its compression stroke and starts rebounding. Due to this I think it's just a valve closing. Quite loud though.
Not saying this is your case necessarily, but most ‘squelchy/squishy’ noise that forks make on fast rate rebound is natural. It’s the sound damper oil makes when passing through jets or shims that slows down all good quality forks from behaving like a pogo stick.

What often leads to confusion is that most modern (better) rebound damping systems these days are also rebound speed-sensitive. Meaning if the rebound rate is slow the system will bypass the damper mech to some degree. If the rebound rate is fast, which immediately follows a bottom out for example, then full damping is applied... well, as full as the adjusted amount that was preset by the rider. So sometimes you’ll hear this noise, sometimes you won’t. I’d be more concerned if I didn’t hear a rebound noise at all. That could mean a bad fork setup, or a faulty non-functional damping system.

Stretch40

Jun 26, 2019
Durham
If its any help my damper got changed foc under warranty and upgraded to the auron rc2 pcs also the sheet says upgraded durlox seal kit? But it's miles better I'm 82kgs I'm running 3 spacers 80psi 2 low compression and 3 high compression alot more grip on high speed chatter and braking bumps ? I've only had two noises a loud clunk on bottom out and a squelchy noise (rebound) when the forks taking hits but all the info I can find and videos say suntour forks are noisy? Think I've said if u r in the UK send it to greyville they are the importer warranty center Pete was amazing and helpful?

srikarwarrior

Apr 26, 2020
India
If its any help my damper got changed foc under warranty and upgraded to the auron rc2 pcs also the sheet says upgraded durlox seal kit? But it's miles better I'm 82kgs I'm running 3 spacers 80psi 2 low compression and 3 high compression alot more grip on high speed chatter and braking bumps ? I've only had two noises a loud clunk on bottom out and a squelchy noise (rebound) when the forks taking hits but all the info I can find and videos say suntour forks are noisy? Think I've said if u r in the UK send it to greyville they are the importer warranty center Pete was amazing and helpful?
Did they upgrade you to pcs rc2 for free under warranty or you had to pay extra for it?

Stretch40

Jun 26, 2019
Durham
Hi it was free I'd already contacted them to buy a damper about £120 I think but then my air spring exploded and blew the seals so Pete upgraded the damper to the top one R2 pcs the seals say durlox skf upgrade kit on them and they did a full service he said as a good will gesture which was amazing ? I'm very happy with the fork now ordering some custom decals for it!

srikarwarrior

Apr 26, 2020
India
Hi it was free I'd already contacted them to buy a damper about £120 I think but then my air spring exploded and blew the seals so Pete upgraded the damper to the top one R2 pcs the seals say durlox skf upgrade kit on them and they did a full service he said as a good will gesture which was amazing ? I'm very happy with the fork now ordering some custom decals for it!

Can you send their contact.. I'm unable to find them on the suntour website...I wonder why you sent the forks to the warranty.. Was it because of that sound

Stretch40

Jun 26, 2019
Durham
Hi it went back under warranty cos my seals blew on the air spring! I'll have a look just Google greyville enterprises Moor and large import them aswell and do warranty but we're useless to me and very unhelpful where as Pete was fab ?

srikarwarrior

Apr 26, 2020
India
20mm I've gone up to 160mm but that's only 10mm I thought the fork would only go to 160mm and tbh I measure it at about 155-156 til top out make an awful bang when u top out mind ? I'm 6ft6 but only about 82kgs I've stopped it topping out on most my trails now it's only the odd big drop to flat or something?

Do you guys have 16 click rebound? Mines seems to go way beyond 16.. Goes to 24

Last edited:

Stretch40

Jun 26, 2019
Durham
Yeah has 24 rebound and for once I can actually tell the diffrence on this fork when I adjust it think mines 8 from open?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles