Knee Pads in 2024

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
So its 2024 and my trusty old Fox Launch Pro's (L/XL size) from 2015 have finally given up the ghost.

I'm looking for replacement knee pads which are pedal friendly but also give me confidence when flying down DH tracks such as Morzine or BPW. I've read through the usual online reviews but they contradict each other and read as if they've been paid for :-(

I also seem to have odd sized legs according to the various sizing guides. My quads fit L/XL pads whereas my calves fit S/M pads. Before you guys retort and say do some calf exercises.... I do, but they wont get bigger!

The other problem I have is, post covid, hardly any bike shops have any stock so I have to order online and then return once I've found they dont fit.

I've tried a few already but struggled so welcome any advice.

Have tried:
- Endura MT500 Hardshells - these I couldnt get to fit, the sizing was all over the place. Tried various sizes and they were uncomfortable.

- Fox Launch D3O - immediately found they cut in behind the knee when I bent my legs. Really uncomfortable. Strangely my old Fox's didn't do this.

- 7IDP Sam Hill - Because of my odd sized legs, I tried the Medium which didn't grip at the bottom and slip around when I moved; and tried the Large which did the same but on my quads. They ended up half way down my shins before I'd even got near a bike.

I was thinking try the Rapha's or TLD Raids but any help greatly appreciated.

James_C

Nov 25, 2019
Kent, UK
knee/shin are better particularly if hardshell, as they cant be dragged down your leg as easily.

Mine have saved me more times than I care to remember:

Koban

Oct 15, 2023
Germany
Fit is a personal thing.
I have a pair of Endura MT500 D3O Knee pads. I personally do not find them comfortoble. I have two pair of FOX Enduro Pro. They will do the job for me. Comfortable enough and enough protection (so far)

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
the type of pads that are open with velcro straps top and bottom are far more likely to fit you than the type you pull on over your feet, because the velcro straps provide quite a bit of customer adjustment. My favourite pads for hard terrain are the Leatt zip up pads. For forest trails and more mellow trails I use Nukeproof..........Pull on over your feet type but very comfortable.

Zed.

Apr 26, 2023
Deepest Bandit country (Wales)
Fit is a personal thing.

^^This.

I've tried Poc (too tight - not pedal friendly), 7idp 'Project' (comfy but a little tight:()
and now wearing older Fox d30 knee pads - these are generally ok but like the 7idp are a little 'snug' and have started rubbing above my knees on both legs :rolleyes:

I am not small and all of the above pads are in the extra large sizes....

next to try are Nukeproof's offerings🤞

Rich.

arTNC

Feb 1, 2024
Texas
I've used Fox Titan models for years. I didn't think they'd work that well in a crash...I come from actual dirt motorcycle riding pants with knee/shin guards that stay in place...and I thought they'd be uncomfortable, but after quite a few sets over the years, they've been tested quite a bit and have performed very well. I notice quite a few use the type with a fabric sleeve, but when I tried them they were horribly hot in no time.

These kinds of armor are somewhat preferential and application is often dependent on leg shape, size, and personal comfort levels. While in a serious get-off the Titans can often slide down a bit upon impact, that's usually when the damage would be done anyway, and I haven't suffered any serious injury or scrapes in those situations. Actually I'm shocked how well they do stay up in a crash and during hard riding and pedaling. Quite a few options out there.

Mrj35

Sep 29, 2023
canada
I've been using ixs daggers since 2016 and there still great. You slip them on but has straps top and bottom too.

1714016560871.png

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
(y) TThanks all, this is really useful.

I’ll focus on the models with velcro straps and will give them a go.

Cheers

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
So its 2024 and my trusty old Fox Launch Pro's (L/XL size) from 2015 have finally given up the ghost.

I'm looking for replacement knee pads which are pedal friendly but also give me confidence when flying down DH tracks such as Morzine or BPW. I've read through the usual online reviews but they contradict each other and read as if they've been paid for :-(

I also seem to have odd sized legs according to the various sizing guides. My quads fit L/XL pads whereas my calves fit S/M pads. Before you guys retort and say do some calf exercises.... I do, but they wont get bigger!

The other problem I have is, post covid, hardly any bike shops have any stock so I have to order online and then return once I've found they dont fit.

Have tried:
- Endura MT500 Hardshells - these I couldnt get to fit, the sizing was all over the place. Tried various sizes and they were uncomfortable.

- Fox Launch D3O - immediately found they cut in behind the knee when I bent my legs. Really uncomfortable. Strangely my old Fox's didn't do this.

- 7IDP Sam Hill - Because of my odd sized legs, I tried the Medium which didn't grip at the bottom and slip around when I moved; and tried the Large which did the same but on my quads. They ended up half way down my shins before I'd even got near a bike.

High Rock Ruti

Goofy looking works fantastically

Warm Regards Ruti 1714225610760.png

Amazon $50 USD
1714225610760.png

Downhillr

Jul 2, 2021
SF Bay, California

Have tried:

Have tried:

Myself and few ithees in ride group are using new, updated RaceFace Ambush Knee guards… they work and wear well, only caveat is sizing runs small, I wear large in other brands but XL in RaceFace.
Love the protection with convenience of putting on quickly with no shoe removal.

A22

Oct 20, 2023
New Zealand
I

Have tried:

I’ve got a pair of Leatt Air Flex Pros and find them really good. Disappear when I’m riding 90% of the time. Comfortable and stay in place when pedalling. I’ve had one tumble with them and didn’t realise my knee went down until post ride when taking them off and saw it caked with dirt and pine needles.

One negative I have is the grip strip on the knee cap sometimes pulls on the skin however I think I’m more sensitive to this as I had a mole cut out above the knee recently that makes the skin in the area a bit more sensitive.

I’d buy them again. XL size.

Arethustra

Subscriber
Apr 22, 2024
Bay Area, CA
I use both the Leatt Airflex Pro and 3DF 6.0 — found that these two options worked well for me. Pro’s are what I wear when I go one easy rides with minimal to no gnarliness; when I do rides with drops, rock gardens, etc., I use the 3DFs. I sometimes throw on some Shadow Conspiracy thin shin guards if I'm worried about catching a pedal strike to the shin.

Growmac

Subscriber
Dec 4, 2020
Wilts, UK
I had some 7IDP Enduro pads which were good, but I have really skinny legs and had to pull the lower band up over my calf muscle for them to sit right,. As long as I did that they were very comfortable and had excellent protection. Sadly I appear to be allergic to something in their construction, and had to stop using them as they caused horrible rashes.

I've now got a set of Ion K-Lite knee pads and they are fantastic. Super secure fit, very light, very comfortable. Can't recommend enough.

Freddy-mountain

Dec 3, 2023
Europe
I am using the Fox D30 enduro sleeve whenever I go on more fitness related trips and the ION K-pact on trail and jump lines. I used to do normal daily laps without any protection but have learned the lesson the hard way. The sleeves are like a pair of socks, so very comfy and no excuse to not wear them.
Recommendations are difficult as the fit is so individual, but in general the wear comfort has improved so much over the years that its hard to go wrong. If the fit is good

Mr Tonka

Apr 19, 2024
Tampa
IXS doesn't get enough attention in the states it seems. my favorite pad from them is the Trigger Race. I'm actually editing a video reviewing 9 sets of pads. But it's not close to release. These are the ones I tested...

POC VDP Lite
G-Form E-line - owned, great pads
Kali Strike - owned, great summer, minimal pad
IXS Dagger
IXS Carve
IXS Trigger Race - Kept, been my go to pad ever since
661 Recon Advance
661 DBO - Kept, rarely wear them
IXS Cleaver - own, great park day pad

Not included in the review, but I also have Dakine Mayhem pads, not ideal for pedaling, great for under pants gravity riding.

IXS Trigger Race Knee Pads
1714660181239.png

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles