Best pedal friendly knee pads

BIG-DUKE-6

Feb 21, 2023
Usa
So, a lot of my local trails are long single track with gnarly rocky downhill sections ( Blue Ridge Mtns). I’m looking for a full protection knee/elbow pad that’s full day pedal friendly in hot weather.

Talk to me goose……

mustclime

Apr 19, 2023
New Jerzy
I like the race face ambush knee pads. They can be taken off and put on without touching your shoes. Handy if you have fire road climbs or road sections on your big days. You just take them off and strap them to your bars.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I’m looking for a full protection knee/elbow pad
I'm yet to see the combined knee/elbow pad. Do you envision something which follows the sides of the body from the knees, then crosses over to the shoulders for support before continuing back down the arms for the elbows ?

Or more something connected by an expanse of lycra materiel which doubles as a wing suit to gain more lift on jumps/crashes ?

I think you'll get a million responses as there's probably lots of good solution.

For me personally having tried quite a few and finding most of them to be lacking in one way or another, I settled on the 7idp Sam Hill's. They're light weight, offer great protection, comfortable, no silly straps, don't get too hot. Negatives - if you store them somewhere really cold before riding in the winter, they're stiff and uncomfortable for the first 10/15 minutes. Until you learn to roll the tops down first, they can be a bugger to take off, once you do that, they slide straight off. Sometimes you need to straighten up the harder inner support into the shell after washing so it's central.

I run two pairs so there's always something to hand. They've been crashed in more times than I'd care to think about and that's the one body part I've never damaged. One pair has some tears in the back from pedal spiking/bramble/branch crashes, but still work perfectly.

1685545750876.png

PDXRooster

Nov 4, 2022
Portland, OR

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
SixSixOne

Edit:
I'm rescinding my previously complimentary review of SixSixOne products. My kneepads are coming apart at the stitching. It's happening on both pads, but one of them is fraying so badly that it will soon be unusable. After several attempts of contacting customer service, I'm giving up. They're completely unresponsive.

Last edited:

Hobo Mikey

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
May 22, 2020
Where ever
I have some Fox Enduro Pro D30 knee pads and elbow pads and they are great. Really comfortable and as they warm up they mould to your shape. (y)

BIG-DUKE-6

Feb 21, 2023
Usa
I like the race face ambush knee pads. They can be taken off and put on without touching your shoes. Handy if you have fire road climbs or road sections on your big days. You just take them off and strap them to your bars.
Hmmmmm. I like. Thanks

BIG-DUKE-6

Feb 21, 2023
Usa
I have some Fox Enduro Pro D30 knee pads and elbow pads and they are great. Really comfortable and as they warm up they mould to your shape. (y)
Yep. Right now these are top of the list, figured I’d ask the hive before I pulled the trigger. Thanks for all the responses I’m going to look into all of them.

ohadbenita

Dec 23, 2022
Israel
Currently using the FOX Launch D30 knee pads. They are quite comfortable but a little warm and since I have large calves and thighs they are a little tight on my legs, have to use XL to even make them fit my legs.

Want to try these from Rapha:
I second the recommendation for the D30, they're great and provide very good protection, although somewhat warm in hot weather.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
It still amazes me that anyone wears D3O knee pads.

They're heavy and hot and on a part of the body which is pretty much in constant motion. Great things said about some of them are "They're easy to take off for climbs" ... fantastic, you shouldn't have to.

I'm the same with the Leatt elbow pads I tried, get on any reasonably challenging terrain and it feels like you've suddenly got incredibly fat arms ! 50% of people probably fall off because of all the extra mass bouncing around on their elbows. Not to mention the heat ..

Each to their own I guess.

Armor11

Dec 26, 2022
BC, Canada
I have been using the Dakine Slayer Pro knee pads and have been quite happy with them so far. Any knee pads will be warm in the hot weather but when doing climbs I have just slid them down and turn them sideways. I find them very comfortable and am definitely able to pedal with them in place. When riding park and climbing I leave them in place and have never had an issue. I would have no problems recommending them!

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I'm yet to see the combined knee/elbow pad. Do you envision something which follows the sides of the body from the knees, then crosses over to the shoulders for support before continuing back down the arms for the elbows ?

Or more something connected by an expanse of lycra materiel which doubles as a wing suit to gain more lift on jumps/crashes ?

I think you'll get a million responses as there's probably lots of good solution.

For me personally having tried quite a few and finding most of them to be lacking in one way or another, I settled on the 7idp Sam Hill's. They're light weight, offer great protection, comfortable, no silly straps, don't get too hot. Negatives - if you store them somewhere really cold before riding in the winter, they're stiff and uncomfortable for the first 10/15 minutes. Until you learn to roll the tops down first, they can be a bugger to take off, once you do that, they slide straight off. Sometimes you need to straighten up the harder inner support into the shell after washing so it's central.

I run two pairs so there's always something to hand. They've been crashed in more times than I'd care to think about and that's the one body part I've never damaged. One pair has some tears in the back from pedal spiking/bramble/branch crashes, but still work perfectly.

View attachment 116538
surely wearing 2 pairs at once makes them a bit stiff??:ROFLMAO:

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Leatt 4 DF Zip Up for rocky terrain..............Nukeproof for every other terrain. Neither are noticeably hot.

BIG-DUKE-6

Feb 21, 2023
Usa

They're heavy and hot and on a part of the body which is pretty much in constant motion. Great things said about some of them are "They're easy to take off for climbs" ... fantastic, you shouldn't have to.

I'm the same with the Leatt elbow pads I tried, get on any reasonably challenging terrain and it feels like you've suddenly got incredibly fat arms ! 50% of people probably fall off because of all the extra mass bouncing around on their elbows. Not to mention the heat ..

Yea. That’s what I’m afraid of…. Any preferences?

It’s definitely a tough choice to make.

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Yea. That’s what I’m afraid of…. Any preferences?

It’s definitely a tough choice to make.
Had my POC Joint VPD 2.0 knee and elbow pads on for two hours today in a local bike park (QE Country Park, Hampshire, UK). Didn't notice them while climbing nor downhill on the berms etc. Wash OK too. Buy cheap buy twice.

Hobo Mikey

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
May 22, 2020
Where ever

You must be talking about others, not the ones I have because I can honestly say you don’t you have them on and I go to Llandegla often and the its a three mile climbs to get to the top. If they were heavy or rubbed etc they would be in the bin. 👍

D3xt3rMTB

Subscriber
Mar 16, 2021
UK
Race face Roams for me. Described as an "enduro focussed" knee pad. Just bought a second pair after 2 years on my last. Several crashes incl at bike parks and no issues with protection they've offered and they're really comfortable. Worn them for several all day rides on a fair few occasions and pretty much completely forget they're even on. Has the benefit of a velcro opening and strap system too so can be taken on/off without having to remove shoes and if between sizes you can get a proper fit. Tried Fox previously, found them warm and always moved around a bit, and POC, just didn't like the fit/rigidity of them. It's all personal preference though.

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
I’ll second the 7idp Sam Hill knee pads , they fit great and once on you forget them til you need them . I’ve used TLD , fox d30’s and the 7idp’s are much better imo . Also use Race face ambush knee and shin guards for uplift days 🤘

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
I have a pair of ION knee pads & Oneal knee pads as I was a rep for both so got less than trade at time

Jurassic

Subscriber
Jul 22, 2022
Helensburgh, Scotland.
I’ll second the 7idp Sam Hill knee pads , they fit great and once on you forget them til you need them . I’ve used TLD , fox d30’s and the 7idp’s are much better imo . Also use Race face ambush knee and shin guards for uplift days 🤘
I'll third the Sam Hill 7 idp pads, I've used loads of different types over the years and these are the best I've tried. Mega comfy, good protection, they don't slip at all when you're pedalling (no more stopping to pull your pads up before you drop into a trail) and you can remove the pad and wash the sleeve when they inevitably get stinky!

darvd29

Dec 17, 2022
Poland
I'm really surprised nobody mentioned IXS products! I never ride without elbow or knee pads, they are so comfortable that I never thought to take them off or leave at home. For elbows, I always use IXS Flow. For knees I have a pair of IXS Flow when it's very hot and I'm riding easier flow sections, and a pair of IXS Trigger for gnarly rocks riding.

I've had a problem with the silicone strip that holds the pad in place - it was slowly deteriorating and falling off piece by piece. I've got a warranty replacement though, and now I always wash them in a mesh laundry bag and the problem hasn't occured again so far.

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
So, a lot of my local trails are long single track with gnarly rocky downhill sections ( Blue Ridge Mtns). I’m looking for a full protection knee/elbow pad that’s full day pedal friendly in hot weather.

Talk to me goose……
High Rock Ruti

I just got these hockey pads
Junky, but cheap and great coverage

Warm Regards Ruti

jcismo1

Jul 22, 2021
Colorado
I use POC VPD AIR knee pads. When grinding uphill, I just pull them down onto my calf. Pull them back up for the downhill. My knees thank me for it!

Downhillr

Jul 2, 2021
SF Bay, California

Talk to me goose……
Race Face Ambush pads provide D3O protection and don’t require taking off shoes to put on. Only caution is that the new generation are undersized… someone blew it when they did that, I had to return and go from size L to XXL.

trx

Dec 5, 2022
Milan
Currently using the FOX Launch D30 knee pads. They are quite comfortable but a little warm and since I have large calves and thighs they are a little tight on my legs, have to use XL to even make them fit my legs.

Want to try these from Rapha:
I’ve got a pair of Rapha after coming from POC, and they’re *really* good. It’s my first sleeve kneepad and the fit is perfect, no chafing behind the knee. Also level 2 certified. The materials from rapha are really good, I also have a pair of trail socks, and they’re my favorite

RuggsRides

Mar 1, 2023
Australia
These are my favourite. Don’t move around and super comfy

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles