Kiox Buttons Snapped

Topper85

May 23, 2021
Bristol
Hi,
Only my second ride out on my new bike and took a decent tumble over the handlebars. ??‍♂️
All good, but my Kiox Buttons strap has snapped?
Any solutions out there?
Thanks

IMG_20210620_163020.jpg

Topper85

May 23, 2021
Bristol
Have you tried good old super glue?

Remove all the parts to it from the handlebar and try gluing back together.

That was what I was thinking. I've spotted replacements for £50 but pretty annoying to replace the whole controller when it is just a plastic ring

Nicho

Captain Caption
Subscriber
Jan 4, 2020
Furness, South Cumbria.
Hi,
Only my second ride out on my new bike and took a decent tumble over the handlebars. ??‍♂️
Any solutions out there?
Thanks

View attachment 64758

Last year I bought one of the new UV- curing adhesives like this example on e-bay:

I have used it on a few plastic items such as a car door mirror, which have proved difficult to fix with other adhesives including super glue.
So far it seems to work reliably, but I do not know how good it would be if your screen got another knock.

Craig24

Jul 24, 2020
Wigan
Ok, tried a araldite and no luck, I think the problem is there is such a small contact area at the break.

Any other suggestions? It’s really hard to clamp it together when glueing as it’s such an awkward shape.

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
I thought of drilling a hole into either piece & inserting a pin/dowel to hold the pieces together, then gluing it but it looks too fiddly on reflection. The only other thing I can think of is using something like Flo Plast solvent weld & I'm fairly sure that only works with the right kind of plastic. TBH the last time I used it was to weld together a shower waste pipe!

Might be worth asking a modelling shop I.e. Hornby, Airfix, that sort of place. Those guys trade in all sorts of weird & wonderful adhesives,

All4Fun

Aug 5, 2020
the Netherlands
Solvent is a no go for this type of repair, use glue.
But glue only will hold the pieces together, not withstand forces.
You have to reinforce it, imo, there's enough surface on the outside for a layer of fibreglass.

Flupke

Apr 16, 2022
Brussels, Belgium
The same thing happened to me this week: one pedal was stuck in a rut and I felt on the Kiox buttons. They’re are still functioning but as on your picture the circle is broken and it is an integral part that cannot be replaced.

I am actually happy that my rib didn’t break as it the contact point is still painful. So the shock was not so light: the Kiox buttons do not seem so fragile.

I was considering to buy a replacement part (it can be found for 50€), as stupid as it may sound. I prepared myself but looking at some videos explaining how to mount the cable: there is event no need to wire things: the command comes with a cable terminated directly by the contacts for the Kiox screen. See
you just have to make sure you order the right cable length (290mm or 350mm).

but I tried first a repair.

I doubt glue would be strong enough to repair, given the tension to pull the parts apart: although the underlying rubber has some relief that may help to reduce the tension on the plastic. I decided to rather use super strong tape doing about 6 turns perpendicular and around the Kiox broken ring. With the tape start-and end-cut positioned in a way that it would be compressed on the handlebarl. I used underneath first some “strong repair tape” and then some more pretty and more elastic all-weather black tape for finition of road bike handlebars.

To my surprise it works very well.I just have to avoid pressING super strongly the right button as that one is cantilevered.

Hence I postponed the replacement of the part indefinitely. I will eventually consider it is a last resort option.

61678440-4CD5-49B5-8966-A8D09CF0A526.jpeg

F1CEF5F8-DC97-4FA4-BD8F-EB0972A41BF5.jpeg

Craig24

Jul 24, 2020
Wigan
That looks pretty good and seems a lot less fiddly than glue. I think I'll give that a try, thanks!

Reaper

Feb 12, 2021
Vancouver
Hi,
Only my second ride out on my new bike and took a decent tumble over the handlebars. ??‍♂
Any solutions out there?
Thanks

View attachment 64758
Same happened to me! Looks exactly the same
drill a small hole in both sides of the break (just big enough for nylon tie strap) strap it and glue it!
mine has held beautifully
F659E4E7-F783-46A6-B1FB-CB2B0EECE790.jpeg

Craig24

Jul 24, 2020
Wigan
That’s a nice idea, I’ve just taped mine for now but might try that, wasn’t sure it would survive drilling into.

Flupke

Apr 16, 2022
Brussels, Belgium
Same happened to me! Looks exactly the same
drill a small hole in both sides of the break (just big enough for nylon tie strap) strap it and glue it!
mine has held beautifully View attachment 86362
I think your approach is much more resistant …but a bit more complicated and a bit less visually appealing than the glue+tighten black tape.

Note that the rubber part in contact with the handle bar has a kind of « notch » which I think already renforces the circular solidity if it is tightly fixed to the main plastics with the tape.

Swiss Roll

Jul 28, 2021
Switzerland
Might this be a case for plastic welding? I was a bit sceptical at first, but it seems it works. I dunno if it might work for this plastic, but you could reinforce it with steel mesh, like this video, around 6.30 in this video:

Craig24

Jul 24, 2020
Wigan
I like the idea, just not sure there is enough contact area on this bracket for that type of repair?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles