Kia Ora y'all

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Kiwi/American living in NZ. Recently new to ebikes and loving what I am experiencing but looking for bigger, better etc...
Started with a Scott eGenius 920 late last year and so frustrated with minimal range that I went out and bought a Levo Comp last month. My reason for the Levo was that I can buy the 700W/h battery from the flash one and get a little more range. Being a big unit @ 110-112 kg and fairly agressive with my riding I found with the 504W/h on the Scott was only giving me around 40km per charge. My favorite loop is around 46km and the last trail involves a couple small but steep climbs so riding a heavy bike with no battery is out. Most of the ride is in Eco mode with maybe 2-4 km in Trail mode and 2 short, sharp climbs in Turbo (about 100m all up). Have the Trail and Turbo modes dialled down to lowest settings but still not cutting it. Winter weather has set in so have only had one run at the loop on the Levo and got to around 42km before it ran flat. I think it better conditions I will get the loop OK with the standard battery but the 700W/h one will give me a nice comfort zone.

Before purchasing the Levo I lad a good look at what is available locally and managed a short ride on a Giant Trance E+ 0 Pro. Loved the ride and handling of the Giant but did not like the horrendous fluted battery cover and found the motor too noisy for my likeing. Only had a sidewalk ride on a Levo but felt the power was nice and loved the quietness of the motor.

As an alternate to the bigger battery for the Levo I could flick it on and buy the flash carbon job, or I could go for something different. Have been doing a little research and rode a new Bosch powered bike last week back to back with a similar one but with the current Bosch unit. Found the new power-plant much nicer in the way it put power out and loved that it was quieter. Also liked the way it pedalled power-off with the more conventional, bigger front ring.
The 2020 Scott ebikes will run the new Bosch unit, dropping the current Shimano e8000 from what I have been told so keen to take a look at one of those. The current Bosch powered Scott has minimal, and boy do I mean minimal clearance between the chain and the front of the swingarm but the new one looks much better spaced.
Love to hear others thoughts on other brands.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
I am based in Hamilton so just a short trip to Rotorua to play on the trails there.
Have some wonderful loops at Rotorua, Tokoroa and Taupo with several other decent riding areas fairly local so it is all good. Once Summer arrives I have a laundry list of trails I want to run the ebike over.

duk916

Jul 12, 2018
New Zealand
Thought you would have got that with the name and picture. haha

What about a weekend away with others from NZ on the e bikes. Similar to the Taupo trip we are planning.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
What about a weekend away with others from NZ on the e bikes. Similar to the Taupo trip we are planning.
That is something I have been thinking about over the past week.
Trying to decide where and when we could arrange it. If it was a long weekend or in a holiday period we could hit several locations to show them to others that don't ride them.
Or we could do something like the 42nd Traverse - but I am not sure about carrying heavy ebikes over those deep streams.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles