Kenevo Woes

Jeffw

Mar 2, 2019
North West
Hi
New to the forum

Got my Kenevo in August last year

So far covered a mighty 80 miles in that time!

Lots of motor issues which has now been replaced by Specialized in the UK under warranty.

1st problem was the remote mode switch not working
Then constant juddering on the bike. Almost as if i was constantly 'dabbing' on the rear brake
Then no power

Back to LBS in the UK (who have been brilliant by the way)

Back to me. Loss of power again. Back to the shop who suspected faulty cable
Back to me. Power failed again
Back to the LBS and sent to Specialized in the UK
Motor and all wiring replaced, but unfortunately they fitted the clip for the main
motor cable upside down which prevented the motor plate closing properly, leaving a 1cm gap
between plate and motor! They actually returned it to my LBS like that, plus somewhere along the
line the pedals have disappeared!

Anyway, cranks off, plate off and could'nt get the plate to sit correctly.
Could see the issue, the clip was preventing the plate from closing
Removed and fitted the clip and all seems ok now

Desperate to get some miles on this bike, so will have it out today

Friends have the same bike and they're having a hoot on them!

There's a new E-Bike group getting set up here in the North West so hope to get riding more and more

Fingers crossed

20190302_142421.jpg

Eeh (bah gum) biker

Jul 5, 2018
Sheffield
Hi
New to the forum

Got my Kenevo in August last year

So far covered a mighty 80 miles in that time!

Lots of motor issues which has now been replaced by Specialized in the UK under warranty.

1st problem was the remote mode switch not working
Then constant juddering on the bike. Almost as if i was constantly 'dabbing' on the rear brake
Then no power

Back to LBS in the UK (who have been brilliant by the way)

Back to me. Loss of power again. Back to the shop who suspected faulty cable
Back to me. Power failed again
Back to the LBS and sent to Specialized in the UK
Motor and all wiring replaced, but unfortunately they fitted the clip for the main
motor cable upside down which prevented the motor plate closing properly, leaving a 1cm gap
between plate and motor! They actually returned it to my LBS like that, plus somewhere along the
line the pedals have disappeared!

Anyway, cranks off, plate off and could'nt get the plate to sit correctly.
Could see the issue, the clip was preventing the plate from closing
Removed and fitted the clip and all seems ok now

Desperate to get some miles on this bike, so will have it out today

Friends have the same bike and they're having a hoot on them!

There's a new E-Bike group getting set up here in the North West so hope to get riding more and more

Fingers crossed

View attachment 11476
I presently have issues with my remote switch.Alls fine when I'm moving up from Eco to trail/turbo however when dropping back down it is not responsive every time and I have to keep pressing till it works.It as if their is a problem with the button/contact switches. LBS will be sorting under warranty but there is a supply issue I have been told and it will be mid march before the new design mode switches become available.What faulty mode switch symptoms did you have ?

Jeffw

Mar 2, 2019
North West
Hi EBG

When i had the problems, i assumed battery but that was fully charged and is charged after
every ride (or attempt to ride:))

When i change between either of the 3 modes (ECO/TRAIL/BOOST) sometimes i hear the 'bleep', other times i don't

The battery was removed and reset. No change

I checked the contact point on the battery and found some debris on the contact points, from a previous ride. Pine needles in particular!

I cleaned this and the connector and it started working.

Within 10 minutes none of the modes were working again.
Removed the battery and checked the connections, there was no pedal assist at all.
By this time the 'bleep' could be heard when switching modes, but no boost at all on the bike.
Every time i switch mode the battery lights on the side of the bike drop and then reset to 10 'bars'.
So looked like it is connecting ok

I was on a ride at the time and on heading home, i knew i had a fairly steep road climb (very unappealing with this weight!) so again removed the battery and connections. Now the bleep could be heard and the modes suddenly started working to my delight!

The one noticeable thing is the amount of debris between the connector cap and the electrical contact point of the battery. My understanding from Specialized is that this is "completely waterproof". As if....

LBS advised to use electrical contact spray on the connection points and on the mode switch device on the handlebars (altho not sure what use that is)

But since then, total power failures. Spesh had the bike picked up and returned to their UK HQ for tests

New motor fitted by Specialized last week and all of the wiring replaced

First proper ride today - 20+ miles, mud, water, poor conditions. Bike peformed very well. Most please i now have a bike that does what it says on the tin!

Tim69

Feb 25, 2019
Israel
wow! soo sorry to hear it...hope its all sorted out now!
i really! enjoy my new Kenevo.. hope these problems are not symptomatic of the whole line...):

Donnie797

Jul 2, 2018
Germany, southern Black Forest
That's bad to hear, hope it's been sorted out now!
I've done 1 season with ~1000km on my Kenevo and it's still working fine and makes me smile on every ride!
Need new brake pads, that's all. Even the command post WU is still working fine - a part that i'm aware of causing troubles sooner or later...

Tucker

Apr 12, 2018
Hull
I presently have issues with my remote switch.Alls fine when I'm moving up from Eco to trail/turbo however when dropping back down it is not responsive every time and I have to keep pressing till it works.It as if their is a problem with the button/contact switches. LBS will be sorting under warranty but there is a supply issue I have been told and it will be mid march before the new design mode switches become available.What faulty mode switch symptoms did you have ?

I had the exact same issues as you describe for several weeks, but I left it, drove all the way to Scotland for a boys weekend hol and the bike completely failed on the 2nd day, the remote wouldn't work and the power was intermittent and then it just completely failed on anything remotely on a incline. so Bikescene replaced the remote and it still didn't work, turned out it was my remote and battery!! they both had failed, they said that they haven't seen my issue before. wish I got it done sooner. by this time I had covered over a hard and abusive 1000miles.

fingers crossed yours is just the remote

Tim69

Feb 25, 2019
Israel
That's bad to hear, hope it's been sorted out now!
I've done 1 season with ~1000km on my Kenevo and it's still working fine and makes me smile on every ride!
Need new brake pads, that's all. Even the command post WU is still working fine - a part that i'm aware of causing troubles sooner or later...

Hey Donnie797 ! now that you Mention it.. i do want to ask everyone about the WU Dropper post!
I have to to say first - that ive never had a dropper post before.. so im verry happy to have one! and love the automaticly andjusting seat angle feature! and the "indexing" threee stops in the height! High-Pedaling, medium-trail,Low-downhill! works great for me!
my problem is the manual (screw) adjustment on the seat rails - that doesnt hold! no matter how hard i tighten the little 6mm screw.. if i sit down hard once! on the back of the seat, it slips down in the back.. and have to stop.. get out my allen.. and readjust it! its a pain!!!
and NO! i am not reffering to the Automatic adjustability of the post! its the seat rail adjustment, the two cups that are inside each other.. that slip.. and let the seat "droop" backwards..
Has anyone had this problem too!??
any solutions? ideas???
thanks
Tim

Eeh (bah gum) biker

Jul 5, 2018
Sheffield
I had the exact same issues as you describe for several weeks, but I left it, drove all the way to Scotland for a boys weekend hol and the bike completely failed on the 2nd day, the remote wouldn't work and the power was intermittent and then it just completely failed on anything remotely on a incline. so Bikescene replaced the remote and it still didn't work, turned out it was my remote and battery!! they both had failed, they said that they haven't seen my issue before. wish I got it done sooner. by this time I had covered over a hard and abusive 1000miles.fingers crossed yours is just the remote

Thanks for sharing that info and I will bring it to the attention of my LBS. Whatever the problem is its annoying but like you iv been putting up with it thinking it may be connected to the cold weather. Anyway I will let you know how I go on and not go on any lads trips to Scotland until its sorted :)

Donnie797

Jul 2, 2018
Germany, southern Black Forest
Hey Donnie797 ! now that you Mention it.. i do want to ask everyone about the WU Dropper post!
I have to to say first - that ive never had a dropper post before.. so im verry happy to have one! and love the automaticly andjusting seat angle feature! and the "indexing" threee stops in the height! High-Pedaling, medium-trail,Low-downhill! works great for me!
my problem is the manual (screw) adjustment on the seat rails - that doesnt hold! no matter how hard i tighten the little 6mm screw.. if i sit down hard once! on the back of the seat, it slips down in the back.. and have to stop.. get out my allen.. and readjust it! its a pain!!!
and NO! i am not reffering to the Automatic adjustability of the post! its the seat rail adjustment, the two cups that are inside each other.. that slip.. and let the seat "droop" backwards..
Has anyone had this problem too!??
any solutions? ideas???
thanks
Tim

Yep, i know exactly what you mean. I have to tighten that bolt so massively, i always think it's gonna break. It's by far far far more above the given max NM torque for this bolt - but my balls are more important for me...

The one thing that helped was putting everything apart and cleaning the rails and clamps from any dirt and grease and putting it back together with a little bit of anti seize compound and give that little bolt the tightening of it's life.

The anti seize compount helped against the freaking creaking and also decreases friction WHILE you assemble the parts but will result in a better contact surface between them and so increase friction when everything is tightened.

Last edited:

Tim69

Feb 25, 2019
Israel
Yep, i know exactly what you mean. I have to tighten that bolt so massively, i always think it's gonna break. It's by far far far more above the given max NM torque for this bolt - but my balls are more important for me...

The one thing that helped was putting everything apart and cleaning the rails and clamps from any dirt and grease and putting it back together with a little bit of anti seize compound and give that little bolt the tightening of it's life.

The anti seize compount helped against the freaking creaking and also decreases friction WHILE you assemble the parts but will result in a better contact surface between them and so increase friction when everything is tightened.

Great idea! Anti seize paste...
I was almost ready to fill it with " locktight"! Or epoxy!!! ????
I will give it a try..
..but I have to find a better permanent solution..I'll update! If I find one...?
Tim

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland

Have you guys changed the saddle, because mine is tight enough?

Tim69

Feb 25, 2019
Israel
Have you guys changed the saddle, because mine is tight enough?
Not me... Mine is totally "stock".. just as it came out of the shop. Not changing anything till it's out of warranty..
Then the first thing to go will be the " codes"! There crap... Can't wait to put my hope downhill brakes on them.
Tim

Tim69

Feb 25, 2019
Israel
Mine is stock, too. The rider weight might make the difference? Dropping my 100kg on the back of the saddle will generate a lot rotational force....

Well I was going to say my weight, but forgot..
I'm only 78kilos.. at it still happens..
Tim

Tim69

Feb 25, 2019
Israel
my seat is also tipping back regular re torque it
and then some
and it creaks when peddling creaks alot

Never really found a total solution for this problem, but one thing did help:
The bolt you tighten under the seat - actually tightens two "cups" on inside the other.. and they come greased heavily from the factory.. so the adjustment slips easily.
I cleaned out the grease well and put it back dry - works much better now, hardly ever slips, also I tightened the hell! Out of the poor bolt...?
So far.. so good.
But still, i'm verry self conscious now about putting my full weight on the rear of the sadle.. so it may be that - that makes the difference ?
Tim.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles