Kenevo SL-style Frame - Long Travel, Light Weight, Small Battery

megabobra

Jul 24, 2022
Australia
Has anyone come across a frame similar to the Kenevo SL to suit the light weight motors like the M820/HPR50 etc?

My pedal enduro bike (170mm/170mm) is getting so little attention these days that I'd considered selling it. But if I could transfer the majority of components to a new motored frame, it'd be happy days.

My aim is something similarly capable to the Kenevo SL, ideally with ~300wh (or less) battery to keep the weight down. I'd be aiming for ~18-19kg.

I see the LCE930 has builds in that weight range with capable builds, albeit with a little less rear travel. This is the best option I've found so far, but has anyone come across any others?

megabobra

Jul 24, 2022
Australia
Have you considered a Kenevo SL?

Happily considered it yes, but then I don't want to spend $11900 on a frame :)

1704405453861.png

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Buy a Comp and swap out all the parts. Shame you missed the Spesh fire sale just before the KSL1andabit was released.

Karamba!

May 29, 2023
Santiago, Chile
Regarding just buying the Kenevo SL.
Well, I have no experience with the M820 (just the M510), but at least on paper, it has 75nm of torque, putting it very very close to a full powered motor @ just 2.3 kg. My point is that SPZD SL bikes currently have 50 nm only. Putting the Kenevo SL architecture aside (I know this is not minor, it's a very praised frame), the assistance difference should be massive, so looking for a long travel alternative platform that uses the M820 could be a goal on itself, rather than just a cheaper alternative. Non sale SPZD prices are no joke either, easily surpassing 6k USD.

dumpy

Nov 11, 2023
usa
For sure. See any good pricing around on the Comp 1.0 still?
in the US it's still on sale. but while the bike is great the motor isn't. unless you're light (less than 70kg) i would not recommend the SL 1. That's exactly why they didn't sell that many and they're still on sale.

megabobra

Jul 24, 2022
Australia
in the US it's still on sale. but while the bike is great the motor isn't. unless you're light (less than 70kg) i would not recommend the SL 1. That's exactly why they didn't sell that many and they're still on sale.

Yeah I figured the same. @Karamba! is on the money: I think what we need is a frame that will suit a full-ish power motor but with a smaller battery. Say for example the Kenevo SL to suit the M820.

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD

There’s a fair few KSL riders on here that are a touch more than 70kg who are very happy with them. Personally my biggest complaint with the 1.1 motor is the noise, in terms of power the weight of the bike is worth the sacrifice in power vs a FF. As always, the biggest factor is where you ride, what your riding style is, who you ride with, etc.

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
Yeah I figured the same. @Karamba! is on the money: I think what we need is a frame that will suit a full-ish power motor but with a smaller battery. Say for example the Kenevo SL to suit the M820.

You mean like the original Santa Cruz Heckler? I rode one, it was brilliant. I wouldn’t swap my KSL for one, but I would happily swap my FF Kenevo for one if they didn’t have a shimano motor.

dumpy

Nov 11, 2023
usa
There’s a fair few KSL riders on here that are a touch more than 70kg who are very happy with them. Personally my biggest complaint with the 1.1 motor is the noise, in terms of power the weight of the bike is worth the sacrifice in power vs a FF. As always, the biggest factor is where you ride, what your riding style is, who you ride with, etc.
some ppl ride a kenevo sl on fire road and are happy but that's not really what the bike is for. all bikes work. would still not recommend any SL1 unless you're very light. I'm 83kg. i can climb on a kenevo sl 1 until it gets really steep (at which point its easier to climb on a regular bike!). but its not great. sl2 are fine. a bafang on a kenevo-sl type bike would be fun.

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
some ppl ride a kenevo sl on fire road and are happy but that's not really what the bike is for. all bikes work. would still not recommend any SL1 unless you're very light. I'm 83kg. i can climb on a kenevo sl 1 until it gets really steep (at which point its easier to climb on a regular bike!). but its not great. sl2 are fine. a bafang on a kenevo-sl type bike would be fun.
How steep is steep? I am not understanding how it would be easier to climb steep trails on a regular bike? I am around 80 kg and riding up 15-24% grade is alright (lose gravel or fist sized rocks can make it pretty challenging tho) but impossible on a regular bike. I ride up this FSR on my KSL with only a bit of huffing and puffing.

https://www.trailforks.com/trails/gravel-road-climb/

dumpy

Nov 11, 2023
usa
How steep is steep? I am not understanding how it would be easier to climb steep trails on a regular bike? I am around 80 kg and riding up 15-24% grade is alright (lose gravel or fist sized rocks can make it pretty challenging tho) but impossible on a regular bike. I ride up this FSR on my KSL with only a bit of huffing and puffing.

https://www.trailforks.com/trails/gravel-road-climb/
As steep as it gets without slipping - at some point the SL1 motor + the bike weight makes it harder to get up the hill than a ~14kg like a high end transition spire or similar enduro bikes. Either way, a bafang will have more power, so I think OP has a point. AFAIK such a frame for a M820 doesnt exist yet, but it'd be fun if it did. It doesn't mean your bike is "bad". The kenevo is a great bike. But I do think its underpowered. There's a million youtube videos on this topic as well.

For what its worth i currently ride a relay with a fazua and i find this combo to be great, plenty of power without the need to be in "full power" territory, I only need turbo (or whatever fazua calls the mode) when on these very steep hills and.. then it does carry me up, unlike the SL1.. on a heavier bike too (my relay is around 20.5kg)

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
My KSL weighs in at 44 lbs and it has been my experience that I am way more capable on it climbing up steep (20-25%) grades without needing to use Turbo (too much power to the rear tire just makes it spin in the lose rocks and gravel). At my age and fitness level, I dont have the stamina to ride up the FSR 3-4 times (1000M) like I can on my KSL let alone once on my my Knolly Warden. Most riders walk up the steepest parts of that FSR if they are on a regular bike.

dumpy

Nov 11, 2023
usa
idk man, maybe the 2 kenevo sl 1 i tested had very worn motors (they were demo bikes afterall), but i'd be curious why specialized would want an sl2 with 20-30% more power and why theres so many sl in stock that they dont even sell the kenevo sl2 in the usa yet.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles