• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Unanswered Kenda Regolith Tyres - Wired

InspectHerWheels

Sep 11, 2021
Perth
I bought an E160 500 Merida eMTB recently.

I was stunned frankly that Merida sell a mountain bike worth nearly 7k with tires that are not even tubeless ready. 99Bikes did put on Maxxis tyres, tubeless at installation only price which was fine. These have wired rims.

I am now selling 27.5 x 2.6 and 29 x 2.4 tyres with inner tubes and tyre tape.

The weird thing is these strange tyres exist nowhere else in the world as a tyre you can buy.

Merida pulled a coup here but more like pulling the wool over people's eyes.

Can anyone explain the logic in this?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
A quick google shows them being for sale?

I suspect that the current supply shortages may have meant they had to get what they could to put on the bike.

InspectHerWheels

Sep 11, 2021
Perth
A quick google shows them being for sale?

I suspect that the current supply shortages may have meant they had to get what they could to put on the bike.
That is what 99Bikes say but I can't believe that there are no tubeless capable tyres worldwide for their expensive ebikes...

Yes, the Kenda Regolith is everywhere but they are all tubeless capable Pro models. I don't see any tube only versions with a wired bead. It seems they did a special run just to confound buyers of the Merida E160 500. They are getting sold on FB Marketplace. No use to me.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I can't believe that there are no tubeless capable tyres worldwide for their expensive ebikes...
You can't believe there are less tyres available when the entire cycle industry is suffering severe supply shortages (where re-stock availability of many parts is now stretching as far as lead times into 2023)
Merida pulled a coup here but more like pulling the wool over people's eyes.
Err.. No. You bought the bike at the agreed price with the spec it was being sold with. It sounds like the shop you bought it from were more than accommodating giving you £150 of Maxxis tyres for the cost of installation.
What exactly are you moaning about?

InspectHerWheels

Sep 11, 2021
Perth
You can't believe there are less tyres available when the entire cycle industry is suffering severe supply shortages (where re-stock availability of many parts is now stretching as far as lead times into 2023)
Err.. No. You bought the bike at the agreed price with the spec it was being sold with. It sounds like the shop you bought it from were more than accommodating giving you £150 of Maxxis tyres for the cost of installation.
What exactly are you moaning about?
99Bikes were fine but I am surprised that Merida can not source tubeless tyres for their eMTB...

It is a 7k bike here in Australia in AUD. Expensive. The even more expensive models all come with tubeless ready tyres.

Merida seem to have found tubeless tyres when they wanted to.

I don't think it is a tyre shortage.

I guess I got a cheap bike.

LOL

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
7k AUD really isn't a lot for an FS Emtb
Every component on the bike is entry level.
tubeless tyres are NOT entry level components.
it's listed on Merida's spec as having the exact tyres you recieved it with

Merida sell road bikes with no suspension or motor approaching 16k AUD and those don't come with tubeless tyres either.

There absolutely IS a tyre shortage right now. and it's not just confined to the cycle industry.

Here's a little bity of info you won't be aware of:
Merida are the largest bicycle company in the world who also happen to hold large shares in and produce bikes for many other leading cycle brands. Giant being just one of them. Giant had the foresight to overstock components right at the start of the pandemic and are partly responsible for some of the current worldwide shortages.

InspectHerWheels

Sep 11, 2021
Perth
7k AUD really isn't a lot for an FS Emtb
Every component on the bike is entry level.
tubeless tyres are NOT entry level components.
it's listed on Merida's spec as having the exact tyres you recieved it with

Merida sell road bikes with no suspension or motor approaching 16k AUD and those don't come with tubeless tyres either.

There absolutely IS a tyre shortage right now. and it's not just confined to the cycle industry.

Here's a little bity of info you won't be aware of:
Merida are the largest bicycle company in the world who also happen to hold large shares in and produce bikes for many other leading cycle brands. Giant being just one of them. Giant had the foresight to overstock components right at the start of the pandemic and are partly responsible for some of the current worldwide shortages.

Well, I did get my eMTB...maybe courtesy of that hoarding.

I think on tyres, it really is typical marketing at work, not cost. The extra cost if any of tubeless ready tyres is negligible.

I remember buying a car many moons ago and we got the entry spec model. One of the omissions was a buzzer to remind you that you left the key in the ignition. It would have cost $5 to add that. They don't do it as they want to remind you that you haven't got the more expensive model, not a cost factor, a differentiating factor, that is annoying as it is pointless.

That is how I feel about what Merida have done, just a pointless action, understandable only from a marketing point of view.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Cool (car) story bro

but you clearly have no idea of what you are talking about. So please just stop now.

you want a higher spec, you need to be prepared to pay more. it's really that simple.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles