Just wanted to change gear cable.....anyone tried on Giant Trance???

7869hodgy

Jul 15, 2020
Reading
Gears weren’t indexed so whilst trying to remedy I decided I’d have a look at how hard it would be to replace the whole cable as it’s not moving smoothly.

Need to take off the “motor impact protection” casing. Wow.

A) the mud collected was about 500g

B) the cables looked “shoved in” rather than “routed”.

Beware to all Trance and I guess other models. If you’ve been out a lot recently, as I have, you may want to give it a clean.

Before;
IMG_0161.jpg

IMG_0162.jpg

IMG_0163.jpg

After:
IMG_0164.jpg

IMG_0165.jpg

IMG_0166.jpg

Cables:
IMG_0167.jpg

IMG_0168.jpg

oldmanmx

Jan 19, 2020
Camden NSW
I changed mine about a year ago. What used to be a 15 minute job on my externally routed Scott was a 2 hour job on this thing, so now I pull out the cable flush it with contact cleaner and compressed air once a month and change the inner every 3 months to keep it running smooth.

7869hodgy

Jul 15, 2020
Reading
I changed mine about a year ago. What used to be a 15 minute job on my externally routed Scott was a 2 hour job on this thing, so now I pull out the cable flush it with contact cleaner and compressed air once a month and change the inner every 3 months to keep it running smooth.

I took one look at the job, considered for 2 mins then called LBS and miraculously they can squeeze me in today other wise I’d be in a world of pain.

That’s a plan re:maintenance. What do you use to lube the cable, if that is indeed what do?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles