Has anyone tried some shorter cranks on their '22 or '23 yamaha px3 motor?

trailaddict

Jul 7, 2021
Alps
Praxis 160mm, e13 for Bosch Geb 4 160mm, Hope 155mm to name a few. Miranda also has some.
Just search the forum for it.....

gidysport

Jan 13, 2023
UK
Miranda website is very good with lots of choices for Yamaha motors. I ordered direct and they were here in 2 days (Portugal to UK)

Sep 18, 2020
Truckee Ca
what size bike do you have? I have a med and I'm torn between 155 or 150. If I keep it in high 155 will be fine but if I want to try it in low 150 makes sense but is 150 in high too short. I ride in the mountains of lake tahoe mostly enduro type riding. thoughts?

gidysport

Jan 13, 2023
UK
I’ve a large and running the 152 cranks.
Pedal strikes are much less now, given the technical off-piste woodland here in the UK I don’t imagine I’d be able to use the low setting unless I rode a bike park.

Trickz

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Sep 2, 2019
Burton upon Trent
I went from 165mm to 155mm on a size large,it took a bit of getting used to,not pedalling but when rolling and cranks horizontal..only 20mm difference but it felt bizarre for the first couple of hours 😂

Sep 18, 2020
Truckee Ca
I went from 165mm to 155mm on a size large,it took a bit of getting used to,not pedalling but when rolling and cranks horizontal..only 20mm difference but it felt bizarre for the first couple of hours 😂
I'm thinking 10mm would be a big change as well It would give me a chance to ride in low and see if it makes a difference on my DH runs. thanks

Formulasuper

Mar 9, 2022
Atlanta
To be honest I didn’t feel any difference switching to 155 but I do get less pedal strikes.

Jurassic

Subscriber
Jul 22, 2022
Helensburgh, Scotland.
I felt that the change was fairly subtle (going from 165-155). It definitely feels more "spinny" than before but it never feels less powerful and being spinny is a good thing in terms of efficiency and technique. Pedal strikes have reduced to the point of being a non issue and occur less frequently than on my non eeb enduro and fat bikes. I also swapped pedals for some lower profile flats (Deitys came off, Nukeproof went on) and this helped as well.
PS, I fitted cheap Miranda 155s just to test the concept with the intention of upgrading to some blingy Hopes if I liked the shorter length but I've not bothered as yet as the Mirandas just keep doing the job. I'd 100% recommend making the switch to shorter cranks, there's no downside that I can see (after five months using them).

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles