Just picked up a 2021 Trek Rail 7...first ride and big concern

Coolcmsc

Oct 29, 2019
U.K.
Hi all,

I figured this thread needed some closure. Thanks to all that helped provide original feedback before we figured out the issue.

I took the bike to the shop I bought it from and they installed the new caliper in about 30 min and away I went. So far so good. I’ll be giving it it’s first real ride today.

It feels a bit anticlimactic after all of the discussion on it, but I’m grateful to the community for its support and advice!

Great outcome after the shaky start that brought you here. Pleased for you!

folmonty

Mar 11, 2021
NorCal
Hi all- I would have considered just getting a new one and installing it, however, while my bike maintenance skills are not entirely zero, I haven't installed new calipers or bled lines before. I don't mind learning when the need arises but this bike is brand new. I want to make sure it is done perfectly to start.

As for the issue of Trek vs Shimano being responsible, I had another phone call with the service manager at the shop today and sort of pressed him about it. He said something to the extent of, "yeah, you'd think it would work that way, huh? Unfortunately the bike industry doesn't function like that. Trek would tell us to contact Shimano, which we did, and they will warranty it. They are shipping us a new part. The problem is that no one reimburses us for our labor and we don't feel right charging you."

But, like, that was kind of my point about taking it to my local dealer for the warranty too when I talked to him the first time. I was thinking, why would I make this THAT stores problem? They've got no skin in the game, they didn't make any money on selling me the bike, and I'm supposed to make a problem for them?

The whole thing is weird.
Sorry for the caliper issue. I've also got a new Rail 7 and read through the thread. Bleeding bike hydraulics isn't that difficult. Couple of YouTube videos and you'll be good to go. You'll also feel that much more comfortable knowing exactly how the system works. My only point is, don't be shy about giving it a go. And if not now, in the future.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles