Just ordered my Decoy...3 weeks from delivery (so they say)

Camstyn

Jun 19, 2019
Kamloops BC
You'd think some fucker in the factory would test it before they ship it out aye?

I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt that they did, and the cartridge containing the nitrogen failed or something at some point during transit. It would have been hard to miss something like this.

Not mad. Stuff like this is just one of the risks we take buying a bike direct and I knew that going in. A LBS would have just swapped out the faulty part during assembly, I’ll have to send it in to Fox to get a warranty repair or exchange.

I saved $5000 buying this Decoy over a Levo, so if I was really in a hurry I could go buy a new dropper and be on my merry way, and sell this one when I get it back from Fox.

Last edited:

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
I’ll guve them the benefit of the doubt that they did, and the cartridge containing the nitrogen failed or something at some point during transit. It would have been hard to miss something like this.

Not mad. Stuff like this is just one of the risks we take buying a bike direct and I knew that going in. A LBS would have just swapped out the faulty part during assembly, I’ll have to send it in to Fox to get a warranty repair or exchange.

I saved $5000 buying this Decoy over a Levo, so if I was really in a hurry I could go buy a new dropper and be on my merry way, and sell this one when I get it back from Fox.

That's what I'd do, I wouldn't be able to wait.

mccabe615

Patreon
Dec 31, 2018
VA
Mine arrived a few days early and I put it together last night. Rode it around the neighborhood in the dark and it was a hell of a lot of fun. Can't wait to get it on real trails.

One issue I had is that the Shimano setting screen doesn't show the Bluetooth LE setting. It's just not there so I can't connect etube. Any advice? I took the battery out and reconnected it but still not bluetooth setting. Not finding anything online.

mccabe615

Patreon
Dec 31, 2018
VA
Mine doesn't either so I guess it's normal, etube/stepsunlocker can take a few tries to connect, but does it automatically

I got it connected, thanks!

I was able to get Stepsunlocker connected as well but didn't have the time to really mess with it.

Hasse Birkmose

Jul 19, 2019
Denmark
Invisiframe on the Decoy base model? Well it can be done... sort of. The kit is for the carbon rear and it was a unsatisfying pain in the *** to do it. They said a bit of trimming... i think it cost me 3 more hours. There is a lot of trimming and getting the tape around the alu welds is not easy.
CF62E2B8-7D90-4804-A809-A35CD4F39B76.jpeg

Last edited:

CatButt

Jul 20, 2019
Redondo Beach, Ca
So, my 3 weeks has come and gone. Interesting purchasing process this has been.

When I test rode the bike I asked the guys at the Mill how to actually purchase the bike. They said, go online and order it then set up to pay via bank transfer but DO NOT do the bank transfer. When your bike gets here you can just pay at the store (I told them I would pick it up as I live about an hour away). That all sounded great and that's what I did. I called a couple of times just to check on the process and each time I sorta got a feeling I was bugging them and got a common answer each time " when your bike gets here we'll let you know". Whatevs...

So, per the email I got when I ordered and the date on their website when I ordered, August 14th was the day. Of course, I called...I'm an excited bike purchaser, it's not like I'm buying socks or toothpaste, it's a bike and an expensive one at that...only to get the answer "your bike is not set to arrive until the 35th week" (August 14th is the 33rd week). This was after calling several times with no answers and when they did answer I was on hold for almost 30 minutes. Needless to say I was a little miffed. I asked what about the email I have confirming the 14th...he said he had no idea what or where that info came from but it didn't mean anything to him...I had to wait another 2 weeks or more. So, I decided to call back and talk to the main YT customer service number...the guy I spoke to said YT does not have a process where you order the bike and pay for it in the store. He said since I had not paid for my bike, that I do not have a bike reserved for me. I was dumbfounded at that point and I think he could tell. He put me on hold and after another 15ish minutes said he found a bike for me and if I paid right then he would reserve it...however, he was avoiding giving me a date I could get the bike. I was not gonna go through this crap again...YT is a great bike, sure, but so I Norco, Giant, Specialized, etc. In my mind, I was ready to tell these guys to pound sand. Again, I think the guy realized the screw up was on their end and he finally gave me a date...August 20th is the expected arrival date to their shop with an estimated pick up date of later that week. So, I lost a week...as of now...not a huge deal, but I had made some plans and changed some plans to be able to ride my new bike this weekend. Whatevs...

I didn't really get an apology (not that I need it, but it's sorta common courtesy), I didn't get an offer of pedals or tshirt or anything, again, not that I need it but I certainly would have done that at my bike shop or my snowboard shop. I did get some excuses and some blaming of other people though, so there's that.

This is my first direct to customer sales purchase...I was apprehensive and still am after what I have dealt with. Selling direct the manufacturer only gets one or two times to deal with a customer and I think they kinda need to get it right those times.

Would I buy this way again? Not sure...I need for this purchase to come to fruition first then I'll decide. But their system needs to be WAY better...they need to hit their promise dates, they need to be able to provide updates that are accurate along the way and just beef up communication in general.

So, hopefully as of late next week I am a Decoy owner and prepping it for some single track next weekend.

Last edited:

Armeniandave

Sep 10, 2018
San Diego, California
Pro Race as well, in Large.
Well I hope we get both our bikes the same week because I ordered it on July
3rd and was supposed to get it the 7th of this month. If there giving bikes out
of order then that's definitely not cool.

I'm hoping that the next batch is next week instead of the week after as supposedly
I'm third in line and they don't seem to have a great handle on when there actually
arriving. The process is a little frustrating to say the least..... :unsure:

CatButt

Jul 20, 2019
Redondo Beach, Ca
Well I hope we get both our bikes the same week because I ordered it on July
3rd and was supposed to get it the 7th of this month. If there giving bikes out
of order then that's definitely not cool.

I'm hoping that the next batch is next week instead of the week after as supposedly
I'm third in line and they don't seem to have a great handle on when there actually
arriving. The process is a little frustrating to say the least..... :unsure:

In theory, you should get one before me. I ordered after you (can't remember when but at least a week). You may have ordered at the beginning of a new build cycle and me more towards the end. I know folks that ordered around when you did have just gotten their bikes. So, yeah, fingers crossed it's next week.

Where are you located?

MoWind

Jun 20, 2019
Garden Valley, Idaho
Just FYI, I ordered a Decoy Pro Race in large on May 25th, with an availability date of July 7th. It was delayed twice, to early August. On August 6th I received an email from YT with a FedEx tracking number, and a delivery date of August 8th.

Because of screwups by FedEx I didn’t receive the bike until August 12. Then, when I put it together, I noticed what I thought was a blemish on the non-drive side chain stay. Well, it wasn’t a blemish, the chain stay was cracked. I called YT and they had a new chain stay in my hands on August 15th. It took me about 1 hour to swap it out and package the damaged one to send back.

Every time I’ve called YT they have answered almost immediately and been very courteous and helpful. I am especially appreciative that they let me do the swap and get the bike working without having to send it back. But having said that I agree that they need to do some serious work on improving communication with customers waiting for bikes they’ve ordered and paid for.

If there’s an villain in this (my experience, that is) it’s FedEx. They completely bungled delivery timing (and I placed numerous calls to them when I realized something was wrong, to no avail), and they trashed the carton my bike shipped in, to the point I would have needed YT to ship me a replacement carton to send the bike back.

Bottom line is I have my Decoy, it’s an awesome mtn bike, and other than the delays I’ve had nothing but good experiences in each of my interactions with the folks on the other end of the line at YT. I’d buy another bike from them in a heartbeat.

Camstyn

Jun 19, 2019
Kamloops BC
I ordered my XXL Pro Race back on March 28th, the day they became available. Original delivery date was June 12th. It kept getting pushed back, finally arrived two weeks ago on August 6th. The dropper post doesn’t work, I sent it in to Fox for warranty, I’m supposed to get it back tomorrow but I’ll be working out of town all week. Maybe I’ll finally get to ride it next weekend, 5 months after I’d paid for it. I’m frustrated, but hopefully that will all wash away.

Armeniandave

Sep 10, 2018
San Diego, California
So I went to the mill today and demo'd a Capra. While I was there I talked to the guy and he said there's two containers full of bikes coming in this week. I'm going to call back tomorrow to try and get some more details but it looks like maybe the bikes might come in a little bit earlier then expected or should I say not as late as expected! While we were out I saw at least four decoys on the trail. Two were demos but the other two were people's bikes.

Armeniandave

Sep 10, 2018
San Diego, California
Well the good news is the bikes are at the port and should
be released this week! As soon as I get the call I’ll take a half
day off work and go pick it up. I know it’s gonna be awesome
so that’s why I’ve been waiting patiently. Just getting a little
withdrawals from not having a bike for 7 weeks!

06z

Jun 2, 2019
Southern California
Well the good news is the bikes are at the port and should
be released this week! As soon as I get the call I’ll take a half
day off work and go pick it up. I know it’s gonna be awesome
so that’s why I’ve been waiting patiently. Just getting a little
withdrawals from not having a bike for 7 weeks!
7 weeks, I waited 8 lol!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles