Jam2 not powering on

Andy.M

Nov 25, 2020
Rochester UK
2019 Jam2 Shimano steps setup will suddenly not power on.
Rode the bike Sunday, hosed it down as usual and put the charger on.
Today the charger was displaying the green "charged" light but the system will no longer turn on.
Tried the TEC pack battery with the same result.
I removed the power button from the top tube and it does appear to feel damp inside the frame tube. Ive left it off to enable it to dry out and see if that helps.

Has anyone suffered the same and knows the answer please ?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Try holding the power-on button down for 30 seconds. The mechanic at the local trail centre bike shop did this. He called it a "hard start". My motor was a Shimano e8000, but he had never tried it on one before. It worked.
Good luck. (y)

Andy.M

Nov 25, 2020
Rochester UK
Thanks Steve, thats the first thing I tried after seeing you mention it a few times in the past! (y)

I'm going to have to get to the battery wiring which I think needs the motor dropping?

Maybe it'll dry out in a day or two and come back to life :unsure:

Andy.M

Nov 25, 2020
Rochester UK
Well she fired up this morning!!!!

I did take the power button indoors last night to test it on the multi meter but the probes were too big to use with it.

Lo and behold I popped back out to the garage, plugged the switch back in and let there be light.

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
Good result. Just as a general thing, if I've washed my Jam & let's face it, it's washing season now, I'll take the battery out afterwards to let air circulate around the inner downtube. The Bosch system only has three wired connections, the display, the speed sensor & the battery & they're all well protected cables but the battery compartment itself is in no way waterproof & even a gentle washing will result in water ingress, best to let it dry out as quick as you can if you're going to wash the bike.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
My Focus too had the fixed battery, but I never had problems with water ingress. I had the bike on my towbar rack in rainstorms at 70mph, I washed the bike (watering can and a bucket only) and rode through puddles - not one electrical problem. Maybe I was lucky, maybe you were just unlucky. :unsure:

Andy.M

Nov 25, 2020
Rochester UK
First time (and last I hope) althogh a couple of times I have seen the power button light pulsing after washing off but plugging the charger in sorted it.

Fingers crossed

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
First time (and last I hope) althogh a couple of times I have seen the power button light pulsing after washing off but plugging the charger in sorted it.

Fingers crossed

When you wash it, cover the charging socket with something waterproof. Seemed to cure the pulsing on my Jam2 E8000.

Andy.M

Nov 25, 2020
Rochester UK
Had a look at the charging socket and found this, might be connected (pun intended).
How would I clean this up with out damage?

tempImageEFWNhe.jpg
tempImageEFWNhe.jpg

ggrin

Feb 11, 2019
Scotland
Do not wash your bike frame, ok to do wheels and rear derailleur, but keep water away from motor, switches, display. Use dry brush to do initial clean of frame, then once it has dried out clean with a dry cloth.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles