Screenshot_2021-11-19-21-08-00-427_com.ebay.kleinanzeigen.jpg

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
First thing I noticed - no flip chip...
I just don't get what it is ??

EP8, so trying to make a lightweight new 9.9 drifter ?

But re-located shock so you can't have a tech pack.

Aluminium, so not the more traditional/obvious lightweight route - but doesn't necessarily rule that out.

Various styling features which would suggest a work exchange program with someone from haibike ? or one of the generic frame manufacturers.

A motor housing area which would have left enough space to mount the motor horizontally and put the battery in there too GLP2 Style. Or certainly enough space to carry a spare motor. I know the Shimano's not the most reliable motor, but you'd only really understand that if they went Brose :)

Not to mention the width of the thing. So is it really an incredibly heavy lightweight ?? - The new HL category ? 1000wh, EP8 "Lightweight" price tag (pay more for a smaller battery) .. but with a bigger battery so 3 times the inflated lightweight price because it has a bigger battery ?

It's only my opinion, but by god it's impressively ugly ! I have to keep scrolling back up to see if it really says "FOCUS" and not "FUCUS"

Maybe it grows on you .. like a wart.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Being more serious .. I guess they've done it to try and get the battery lower .. but in an unattractive way. They appear to also have gone one better than Spesh's crappy charge door design by incorporating a "suicide door" charge door design which looks like not only will the first twig I ride near throw itself in there and pry the door open, but it will then wrap itself round the chainring and no doubt give me a good excuse for falling off.

Unless "Charge Here" is the inlet for a Mr Fusion reactor and you just feed water, mud, leaves and trees in there for power ?

I still don't get what it is though. The 2022 Jam2 is pretty much the same but with a Kiox instead of the Purion .. so what's this ?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Ok, I think I've sussed it. Olly Wilkins said that Focus are pretty good in that they listen to feedback from their Riders.

Olly likes G-Wagons .. so I think he just said "Make it inspired by a G-Wagon" ... they tried their best and at least emulated the mud guard/wheel arch.

Screenshot (77).png

Screenshot (76).png

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Well, it's on the main site now and I still think it looks like an april fools for a Focus ?!

1639398369394.png

The Jam2 - 7 series ..

Has got a 720wh battery though.

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
Ha, that Dave guy was on the HKT Podcast last week. I was wondering why they'd picked some random to be on. Turms out he's not that random after all!

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
After having the previous Shimano Jam2, I was hoping they were going release a new lightweight bike with EP8 motor, I got fed up with waiting in the end, looking at that I'm glad I didn't wait.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
still not clear to me where the Jam model lineup sits now.

have they got rid of the Bosch bikes and this is a replacement for them, or do they still have the BOSCH and Shimano models side by side?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Ok so from this article it would appear they have jumped ship from Bosch to Shimano and this effectively replaces the Bosch bikes.

have to say that the pricing is surprising , the Bosch bike offered great value but I don’t think the new ones do, especially the top end one which is a lot for a pretty bog standard spec.

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
Ok so from this article it would appear they have jumped ship from Bosch to Shimano and this effectively replaces the Bosch bikes.

have to say that the pricing is surprising , the Bosch bike offered great value but I don’t think the new ones do, especially the top end one which is a lot for a pretty bog standard spec.

Both Bosch and Shimano bikes are still shown on the Focus website, listed as the 6 and 7 series...

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
They have jacked the pricing a bit. A Bosch 6.9 is £5400, the Shimano 7.9 £5600-£6300. One degree slacker, some suspension revisions, loss of the mullet flip chip & the marmite CIS thing doesn't really stack up for me.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
They have jacked the pricing a bit. A Bosch 6.9 is £5400, the Shimano 7.9 £5600-£6300. One degree slacker, some suspension revisions, loss of the mullet flip chip & the marmite CIS thing doesn't really stack up for me.
Guess what we’ve got to thank for that?!

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Please no more of this current obsession of running the cables though the headset without any other option.

Does it make it more difficult with the cables through the stem / headset? Never tried fettling around with it but noticed this in the press pack if people want to swap things around:

From Focus:

For riders who want to use a standard stem, the whole system is interchangeable with standard options. You only need to change the top cap of the headset. With a regular stem setup, the cables still get routed through the headset and the frame.

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
I'm not getting into that again... If you flick through Focus' range, you'll find all sorts on there. I spotted a Bafang hardtail a while back. Seems they'll build whatever they think works on a platform & likely what they can get their hands on at a guess, although you would expect Derby to have serious clout in the market.

On the Jam, it is very easy to lift the front wheel while climbing, so the extra degree in the head angle won't hurt. As for the CIS, if they've modded it to be easier to remove then fair play. On my 2020 Sam2, you would have to undo gears & brakes to do it, so re-bleeds, re-indexing etc.

Not even sure it was a neat solution to start with, it looked like a cuttlefish from the front.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
I'm not getting into that again... If you flick through Focus' range, you'll find all sorts on there. I spotted a Bafang hardtail a while back. Seems they'll build whatever they think works on a platform & likely what they can get their hands on at a guess, although you would expect Derby to have serious clout in the market.

On the Jam, it is very easy to lift the front wheel while climbing, so the extra degree in the head angle won't hurt. As for the CIS, if they've modded it to be easier to remove then fair play. On my 2020 Sam2, you would have to undo gears & brakes to do it, so re-bleeds, re-indexing etc.

Not even sure it was a neat solution to start with, it looked like a cuttlefish from the front.
Have you seen how big PON holdings are now? Possibly the biggest bike conglomerate in the world.

Pon.Bike is made up of:
Former Dorel Sports brands
- Cannondale
- Schwinn
- Mongoose
- GT
- Charge
- Caloi
- KidTrax
Current Pon.Bike brands
- Gazelle
- Kalkhoff
- Focus
- Santa Cruz
- Cervélo
- Swapfiets
- Urban Arrow
- BBB Cycling
- Lease a Bike,
- Union
- Reserve Wheels
- Juliana

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
Uh, Pon swallowed Derby in 2011. Talk about having my finger on the pulse. 😂

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Does it make it more difficult with the cables through the stem / headset? Never tried fettling around with it but noticed this in the press pack if people want to swap things around:

From Focus:

For riders who want to use a standard stem, the whole system is interchangeable with standard options. You only need to change the top cap of the headset. With a regular stem setup, the cables still get routed through the headset and the frame.
Yes its a total PITA, becuasse aside from having an unnecessarily conculouted routing that is less than ideal for thing like the dropper remote cable, it also restricts your choice of headset.

I wouldn't mind if they also had blocked off ports in the frame, but its a solution for a problem that doesn't exist.

All internal cable routing does is tidy up the aesthetic of the bike, and sometime its does so at the expense of making a bike easy to work on and swap out components.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I get the impression that the Jam is now very much like the new Scott Patron, in that the market its designed for isn't really hardcore mountain bikers, but more people just looking to get out and about, ride some trails, and have a good time on the ride. Big range, easy to ride, and uncomplicated.

On the front it certainly ticks a lot of boxes, and I suspect its the biggest market sector interns of real world sales of EMTB's, but its also about as exciting as rolling over a dog biscuit IMO :cool:

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
I get the impression that the Jam is now very much like the new Scott Patron, in that the market its designed for isn't really hardcore mountain bikers, but more people just looking to get out and about, ride some trails, and have a good time on the ride. Big range, easy to ride, and uncomplicated.

On the front it certainly ticks a lot of boxes, and I suspect its the biggest market sector interns of real world sales of EMTB's, but its also about as exciting as rolling over a dog biscuit IMO :cool:

That pretty much describes my type of riding, although having looked at the specs it doesn't really interest me, out of all the heavier bikes available I'm glad I went for the Whyte.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
It’s no bad thing, a lot of bike (e or not) are far too complex these days IMO and for what most people actually use them for it makes it a bit of a minefield to try and figure out a good choice.

the Bosch Jam is one of those bikes that I would and have always recommended to friends etc who want a bike to get out and explore on and have no interest in shredding for want of a better expression, whilst it can do that it’s primarily a great no thrills EMTB for getting out on the trails with minimum fuss.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles