Its arrived ?

sparked

Jun 6, 2020
Melbourne
Lovely bike. :love:

That's a tiny blemish that you can colour up yourself if it bothers you. After the first few outings it'll have plenty of companions...

It might look horrible to you on first unpacking, but it's a bike. A mountain bike, no less. It's going to get dinged, chipped and scratched - and you'll love every moment of it.

Don't let that tiny little rub on a non-frame part disturb your enjoyment. Go out and ride!

cheers. I know it’ll get some war wounds and that’s fine. But I’m just of the belief that when you drop $8k on a bike it should be packed and built with care and not arrive have marks like this on it.

Let me damage it!

Akelu

Jul 31, 2020
Australia
I'm also having some troubles with the stock FSA chainring on my Thron 6.9. I think Focus is using non-optimal parts on this bike.

When pedelling uphill mainly off-road, and putting pressure on the pedals, it makes a noise from the chainring and a sensation through the pedals. After closer inspection it appears the chainring isn't letting go of the chain properly causing a bit of 'chainsuck'. The problem comes and goes a bit, the video below demonstrates it at its worst:

Focus believed the wrong chainring was supplied with the bike, so they sent another FSA chainring this time instead of a direct mount it was a 104bcd attached to a spider. Same tooth profile, same issue straight away.

I believe that focus isn't using the optimal chainrings on the Thron for the Hyperglide+ chain. FSA megatooth chainrings are made for 1x11, not 1x12, and Hyperglide+ chains are especially picky about the chainring tooth profile.

So I purchased an Ethirteen e*spec Bosch direct mount chainring that Trek uses on the Rail 7 with the same 12 speed SLX cassette and chain. On ethirteens website it specifically says it's compatible with 12 speed shimano. My bike is with my lbs now getting it fitted.

Wolftooth components has a good writeup on the difference between chainrings/chain engagement for Hyperglide+ chainrings and what happens if you use the wrong one is exactly what's happening with me on my Thron with both the FSA megatooth chainrings:

Chain Compatibility by Chainring Tooth Profile

As per the above link, it appears that the FSA chainring uses the first "drop stop A" style of tooth, where as the new Ethirteen uses the third "drop stop ST".

So I have high hopes that when I pick up my bike this week that the issue will be resolved and the pedalling will be a lot smoother. You can see in this picture the wear on the wide teeth. This is the spot where the Hyperglide+ chain inner link comes in a bit.

20200828_151131.jpg

-edit- after emailing FSA they informed me that only the Hyperglide chainrings with 'SH12' designation printed on it are compatible with Shimano 12 speed chain. So that confirms it Focus is using non optimal selected parts.
Screenshot_20201005-105353_Photos.jpg

Last edited:

sparked

Jun 6, 2020
Melbourne
So if your new four wheel drive was handed over to you and there was paint missing from the drivers door would you still have the same attitude? I think not!

I was going to reply with a similar reply. His comment made no sense. If it was the frame complain but not another part? The frame like the rest of the bike is also susceptible to wear and tear.

my LBS is going to raise it with Focus. It’s most likely happened during shipping and not been packed well. I will get a new headset top cap in time.

And I didn’t feel the slightest amount of embarrassment mentioning it. Same as if the bumper was chipped on a new car, I’d want it fixed even though I know it will get bugs stuck to it and stone chips in time!!!

Akelu

Jul 31, 2020
Australia
I would request a solution too, yes the bike is going to get marked up over time, but that marking is front and center straight in your view as your riding the bike. It impacts the new bike experience. It shouldn't be a problem for them to just replace that small part.

I would never be embarassed about asking for such a thing. You spend good money on this bike you should expect it to not have any scuffs on it so prominent like that.

sparked

Jun 6, 2020
Melbourne
I would request a solution too, yes the bike is going to get marked up over time, but that marking is front and center straight in your view as your riding the bike. It impacts the new bike experience. It shouldn't be a problem for them to just replace that small part.

I would never be embarassed about asking for such a thing. You spend good money on this bike you should expect it to not have any scuffs on it so prominent like that.

My LBS will sort it out. All good!!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles