Rail (750Wh) It’s a great bike, but ultimately it’s flawed in one critical aspect

jgusta

Mar 21, 2021
USA
Hmm. Either they fixed it in 2022, or you don’t ride bumpy trails while coasting….
Not fixed. I just got my 4th replaced drive unit recently with claimed thicker internal mounting bracket by Bosch. Still a clank wagon, especially if thump the trails a bit aggressively, despite bike still being a ripper

Last edited:

jgusta

Mar 21, 2021
USA
Not fixed. I just got my 4th replaced drive unit recently with claimed thicker internal mounting bracket by Bosch. Still a clank wagon, especially if thump the trails a bit aggressively, despite being bike still being a ripper
Personally think it is just how it is with that heavy, big ass motor down there. Curious if other hard hitting bikes like Ransom eRide has same motor clanks about as well. My Fuel EXe dead silent on same DH’s of course

Last edited:

Wilbur

Dec 12, 2022
New Zealand
Not fixed. I just got my 4th replaced drive unit recently with claimed thicker internal mounting bracket by Bosch. Still a clank wagon, especially if thump the trails a bit aggressively, despite being bike still being a ripper
4th motor! That’s depressing.. Bad design, bad luck or bad management?

jgusta

Mar 21, 2021
USA
4th motor! That’s depressing.. Bad design, bad luck or bad management?
Going with bad design of weak internal mounting bracket that rattles internal bolts loose and eventually snaps/shears bolt heads off and eventually tugs and tears at the wiring to lower battery plate thus causing shorts until it ultimately dies from wires being torn. Trek have done all servicing with dropping of motor about every 4 months to check bolt integrity. The motor itself I think was fine all along just the aforementioned issue. My buddy has same bike (alu Rail 5, mine carbon 9.7) and he has had zero issues with his, but rides about 1/8th of what I do and not near as hard on the DH’s

Last edited:

jgusta

Mar 21, 2021
USA
Going with bad design of weak internal mounting bracket that rattles internal bolts loose and eventually snaps/shears bolt heads off and eventually tugs and tears at the wiring to lower battery plate thus causing shorts until it ultimately dies from wires being torn. Trek have down all servicing with dropping of motor about every 4 months to check bolt integrity. The motor itself I think was fine all along just the aforementioned issue. My buddy has same bike (alu Rail 5, mine carbon 9.7) and he has had zero issues with his bud rides about 1/8th of what I do and not near as hard on the DH’s
With last drive unit replacement, local Trek shop recommend they drop the motor every 3 months based on my riding frequency to check everything out. Since got 2nd ebike, likely much less load on Rail with likely seeing about 35-40% of use compared to about 75-80% useage the past year. I ride regular bikes still periodically, sometimes exclusively when ebike down like Rail was for +8 weeks before getting Fuel

Last edited:

Wilbur

Dec 12, 2022
New Zealand
With last drive unit replacement, local Trek shop recommend they drop the motor every 3 months based on my riding frequency to check everything out. Since got 2nd ebike, likely much less load on Rail with likely seeing about 35-40% of use compared to about 75-80% useage the past year. I ride regular bikes still periodically, sometimes exclusively when ebike down like Rail was for +8 weeks before getting Fuel
So it's recommended to replace the mounting bracket screws semi-regularly? Are folks using a higher tensile material screw?

rzr

Sep 26, 2022
bcn
BUT, the way the Bosch picks up instantly, the torque, feel and characterists, blow the Brose away. The Bosch is far superior...
I wouldn't agree. I can agree that they are different :)
Bosch (on Rail) delivers power in more abrupt way, but I prefer Levo, which feels more natural.
(and of course quietness on descents is amazing)

jgusta

Mar 21, 2021
USA
So it's recommended to replace the mounting bracket screws semi-regularly? Are folks using a higher tensile material screw?
Trek recommends they check for torque of these internal mounting bolts every 3 months for myself at least, likely longer for some. If feels like motor clanging about pretty regularly on rides, possibility the bolts are loose or snapped off altogether like what was happening with mine every 4-6 months it seemed like

torabora851

Apr 13, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Made a rubber damper in the same vein as the Shimano/Orbea one. Provides enough friction to allow back-pedal chain movement (but it still has some slip).
Initial testing shows the rattle is still present, but more testing is required to see if it's reduced to any significant degree...
Hey @Wilbur, any update on that? Have you managed to test it?

Wilbur

Dec 12, 2022
New Zealand
Hey @Wilbur, any update on that? Have you managed to test it?
Yep, 30km of stonking good dirt tonight - just as noisy as before; damper boot makes no difference.
Also removed the motor and checked the bracket screws this afternoon - all looked fine. Added some dielectric grease to the plugs and silicon spray for additional water resistance. Bike goes brilliantly despite the gear chatter.

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
The bad, and the thing that I don’t think I’ll ever get used to, the motor rattle. Sounds like a bag of bolts. The battery no longer rattles, but the bike still sounds cheap when riding over rough trails. I was aware of this trait in the motor when I bought the bike, but I just find it very off putting and it detracts from the ride.
Decent review of the bike Dave and I'm glad you have modified it to a happy place to ride. As I clock more KM's on mine (660kms now) I don't have a trace of battery rattle but have definitely noticed the motor rattle. I only get it over rough repeated hits.. I wear airpods in transparency mode whilst riding so don't notice it too much.

Like you I kinda take the noise for granted now as part of the regular noise the bike makes. I hope your enjoying the bike in all other aspects (y)

Dave_B

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
An update……..

I changed the spring from 571 to 520. Still using a linear spring.

It gives me bang on 17mm (30%) sag.

With the softer spring I used the middle position on the compression damping on the Ohlins. (I had been using the open position with the heavier spring)

Had a long ride today through some chunky stuff.

The bike is transformed. I can’t believe how much of a difference the lighter spring has made. Plus the fact I’m using the middle damping position on the shock.

The bike was quiet. It handled like a dream, the rear end felt so much better than previous (571 on fully open position).

👌

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
An update……..

I changed the spring from 571 to 520. Still using a linear spring.

It gives me bang on 17mm (30%) sag.

With the softer spring I used the middle position on the compression damping on the Ohlins. (I had been using the open position with the heavier spring)

Had a long ride today through some chunky stuff.

The bike is transformed. I can’t believe how much of a difference the lighter spring has made. Plus the fact I’m using the middle damping position on the shock.

The bike was quiet. It handled like a dream, the rear end felt so much better than previous (571 on fully open position).

👌
brilliant!

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK

👌

Nice! With the 571lb spring the back will have been boinging (is that a word?) all over the place also making the front difficult to control.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles