Is this "charging formula" correct ?

Nakiri

Feb 14, 2022
Brazil
Well... Like I'm a IT guy, I had an idea and I'll try it out.

I'm making a project with an arduino. The battery charger will be plugged in it, like a "wifi timer".
But the arduino will check the coclour of the charger led. When it comes from red to green, it will turn the power off.

This will be the first step. When it reaches 100% charging, it will be turned-off.

Then, I'll try to figure out how to read the "charging bar" that my Levo has... Maybe I can check the percentual of the charge and stop when it reaches some percentual... future plans.

When I finish it I'll be back here to tell you if I could pull this off !

James_C

Nov 25, 2019
Kent, UK
I've tried and failed to find a timer to turn off a plug after a period of time. 1 hour, 2 hours or whatever.
If anyone has a link to something that will do that it would be good. I dont really want to make it complicated with phones and apps and stuff.

Nakiri

Feb 14, 2022
Brazil
I've tried and failed to find a timer to turn off a plug after a period of time. 1 hour, 2 hours or whatever.
If anyone has a link to something that will do that it would be good. I dont really want to make it complicated with phones and apps and stuff.

Like this one ? ("timer plug" on amazon)

Nakiri

Feb 14, 2022
Brazil
Here goes the news... I said that I would make a "charger controller"... and I did it.

How it works:
1) I plug the charger into my controller
2) I turn the controller ON, and press start button
3) The controller energizes the charger
4) After some seconds, the sensor starts to read the charger's LED
5) As soon the charger's LED becomes GREEN (bike fully charged), the controller kills the energy to the charger

Done... No issue of charger being "on" for a long period, no need to do any calculations, no need to constant monitoring...
Just press the button.

The LED sensor:
Charger_Monitor.jpg

Ok... Not my best English... Did with my son in a hurry
Charger_Controller.jpg
Charger_Start.jpg

Charger_Charging.jpg
Charger_Ending.jpg

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
BUT:
"Applying the peak charge voltage on a subsequent charge will restore the full capacity."
I've been pondering this; I think you may have gone off in the wrong direction based on this statement. My question is; "what is the ideal number of partial charge cycles to a full charge cycle?" That would be good to know - at present I'm working on every 5th cycle, but it isn't based on data as far as I know, just supposed good practice.

To summarise "applying the peak charge voltage on every 5th charge will restore the full capacity". If this statement were correct, it would not mean that the original statement is incorrect - they could both be correct. How many charge cycles will you get if you only do a full charge every 5th cycle?

Last edited:

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
We have different Ebikes with different systems and live many different situations.
It is a bike we can use to go from A to B, we can also use to have fun.
In Quebec Canada in winter we need full charge in minus 20 so there is no question.
Unless a rider plans for a quick one hour ride a retired rider like me starts each morning
fully charged. I recharge eat, rest a bit and go for a second ride. So i trust the manufacturer
of my Giant to have a decent BMS and pedaling on my Ebike should not destroy it.
I enjoy riding not analyzing.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
We have different Ebikes with different systems and live many different situations.
It is a bike we can use to go from A to B, we can also use to have fun.
In Quebec Canada in winter we need full charge in minus 20 so there is no question.
Unless a rider plans for a quick one hour ride a retired rider like me starts each morning
fully charged. I recharge eat, rest a bit and go for a second ride. So i trust the manufacturer
of my Giant to have a decent BMS and pedaling on my Ebike should not destroy it.
I enjoy riding not analyzing.
Yes, so you have no interest in this topic - is that what you're saying? It's quite understandable in your circumstances.

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
Yes, so you have no interest in this topic - is that what you're saying? It's quite understandable in your circumstances.
I want to learn but it seems info is not available.
From different threads on different forums many say a 625Wh or a 750Wh only gives a little more range than a 500Wh.
Same thing for the 250 and 300Wh extender.
We are left, in the dark well i am talking about riders like me with little technical knowledge.
Some talk about a 300 fullcycle battery life, others mention 700 to 1,000.
Many manufacturers sound like they are selling dreams.... potential 170kms range
No one pretending to be a reviewer touches important subjects
they also sell dreams
so maybe riders can help each others to invest our money where we will get what we hope.

jimbob

Aug 3, 2020
East UK
I want to learn but it seems info is not available.
From different threads on different forums many say a 625Wh or a 750Wh only gives a little more range than a 500Wh.
Same thing for the 250 and 300Wh extender.
We are left, in the dark well i am talking about riders like me with little technical knowledge.
Some talk about a 300 fullcycle battery life, others mention 700 to 1,000.
Many manufacturers sound like they are selling dreams.... potential 170kms range
No one pretending to be a reviewer touches important subjects
they also sell dreams
so maybe riders can help each others to invest our money where we will get what we hope.
I wonder how much of the issue is the electrical component of ebikes is completely different technology and skillets to traditional bikes? Traditional bikes are completely mechanical, and so it follows that reviewers and mechanics are likely to have that as their knowledge base.

As for battery life, from what I've seen on my shimano battery, I think we will be lucky to get over 300 usable cycles out of batteries.

From having monitored a few of my batteries which have been looked after quite differently, I haven't seen any difference in the degradation. I expect there are other factors outside of the storage and charging which have a far greater impact on life.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles