Is this a good deal and what I’m after ? Advice Please

T8COH

Oct 16, 2021
Dundee
I’m in my 50’s and a couple of years ago purchased a Rad Power Rhino unrestricted fat boy bike for cycling around the local cycle paths . Loved being on a bike and felt like a kid again .
Move on to earlier this year purchased a Cube Reaction Performance 2021 500, this has the 65nm gen 3 motor.
my son has the top og the range Cube 160 factory thing and as we were cycling over the hills I was struggling and jumped on his bike , had a hoot and loved it and actually amazed myself what I could do .
so now the bug has bit I’m after a full suspension set up with a bigger motor . I’m thinking for what I do I need less travel and 29” wheels , I plan on doing road work and up the hills etc on it.

so I came across this bike on gumtree , what’s your thoughts , any advice appreciated.
I actually live in Dundee but working in NorthYorkshire so it’s not ideal but not impossible to buy this bike .

Rich the gasman

E*POWAH Master
May 4, 2019
North east
I would say you could get it cheaper, they were 4800 new and pending how they paid could of got up to 15% off maybe more. The market is flooded with gen2 Levos now as the gen3 is out there. The spec isn’t very good but from your description of riding it could make a base model for you to enjoy upgrading over time.

warranty will be needed, you may wanna check with your lbs if they will do warranty work for free or a charge.

Funkeydunk

Subscriber
May 28, 2019
Uk
Looks well priced, I’d be curious why the person is selling after just 6 rides. But I’m an old sceptic. Just confirm that the motor is ok. And enjoy the bike. You’ll also have more power than your sons 85nm, you’ll have 90.

T8COH

Oct 16, 2021
Dundee
Thanks for the replies , I’m a bit sceptical myself . He has the receipt saying he paid £4800 from Lakeland bikes .

Is the Gen 3 motor not on the 2021 bikes and what’s the difference?
Sorry this is a minefield for me 😂 hence asking your advice .

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
It's a Gen2 Levo. With a 2.1 Brose Mag S motor.

The Gen3 Levo's are only available in carbon so far and you can tell them quite easily visually as the frame above the motor slopes so it's parallel with the bottom of a water bottle, where as the Gen2 is almost flat - running parallel to the ground.

The Gen3 Levo's are sold with the "2.2" motor. It's exactly the same motor though. The motor has always been undergoing rolling changes through it's life, including several important firmware updates. At some point in July/August last year they changed to a different belt which is slightly wider (which can rub and be louder). Theoretically any motor made after that point is "2.2" spec - though there is no set date or serial number cut of point - it's more a marketing thing to make it sound like there's a new motor. Lots of Gen2 Levo's also shipped with what is essentially the 2.2 motor.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles