Is the orbea Rise suspension progressive?

DanMcDan

Mar 18, 2021
Torquay
Thanks

Thanks Dan, more or less is what I tought...Or the valt progressive 550-670... Not sure which one would work better...And if Valt is too much wide and touch the frame..
The Valt progressive spring rubbed on my medium frame

jene

May 12, 2021
Zaragoza
If you follow this thread and others it has been written that the large and XL Rise frames don't have clearance issues with coil shock springs.
yes i did, but valt spring are wider so neither all shocks are the same (piggy back,size,etc.) or all the springs are the same (different wide) 🤨

jene

May 12, 2021
Zaragoza
perhaps the rise is like occam...90kg -> 660lbs spring 🤯🙄
276022391_1828871707322330_4221716615332097546_n.jpg

jene

May 12, 2021
Zaragoza
Slighter longer stroke on the shock, so a bit more linear for the same travel
Really I don't understand the rise progressiveness... I know some guys with the storia ext and 450 spring with 85kg...548lbs is less than I need using ohlins ttx... Numbers of this table..

scarl

Dec 19, 2021
sacramento
Not quite. You would have to run an offset bushing backwards so that it increases the eye to eye instead of decreasing it. Technically, you're going to get people telling you (including the people from offsetbushings.com) that you should not do this as the bushings rotate. In practice, I can tell you that does not happen as much as people say it does. I'm actually running an offset bushing turned around backwards on one side in order to mullet my megatower and I haven't had it turn on me... yet.

But I think you're going to run into issues with the yoke for the shock, contacting the seat tube at a certain point. I'd have to check my wife's bike at home to see how much clearance the medium has in this location, but at full extension, I think it may be too close for comfort if you were to run 2 @ 4mm total eye to eye changes with the 210x55 shock.
Thanks again for the input.
So I could try to keep the float X at 210x55 but adding offset bushing turned aroun -. Which increases the eye to eye to 214 x 55. What does this do to my travel - increase or decrease? At this point having more travel is not as important as keeping as close to the stock geo as possible.
Probably a silly question but what happens to my bike if the offset bushing do end up turning around?

cookie70

Mar 23, 2022
Central Coast, Australia
What does this do to my travel - increase or decrease?
wheel travel will be unchanged as the stroke is still the same 55mm.

Having longer eye to eye will effectively push out the rear triangle therefore raising the bottom bracket height. Similar to what many manufacturers do with their "flip chip" designs.

fitek

Jan 27, 2022
Bellingham WA
Well I rode my medium Rise with a 170mm Z1 coil borrowed off my friend's bike for the afternoon. If there was an impact to climbing performance, it was subtle and worth the improvements to downhill performance. I made a table of A2C.

Fork140150160170
Fox 36

Pre 2021
Fox 36 2021551561571581
Z1547.1557.1567.1577.1
Fox 38 573.7583.7
ZEB 576586

fitek

Jan 27, 2022
Bellingham WA
Questions:
is it possible to convert the stock 150mm Fox 36 to 160mm? And to coil?

Also I figure I'll get the Bomber CR 8.5x2.5, but is there some cheaper way to try out springs than Fox SLS?

Dirtyrig

Dec 26, 2021
New York
I put a 8.5" x 2.5"(216mm x 63.5mm) Fox Float X CTD, from my old 2015 Yet Sb6. I was a bit suspect about the increase in travel from 140mm to 161mm. Seems that most on here just calculated the proportionality to figure this out, but after putting it on I can confirm that travel increased to 152mm not 161mm and it rides like crap. The shock I had is tuned for a 2015 yeti sb6 and the tuning is medium compression, medium rebound (which would make it harsh for this bike), it rode much better with the original stock shock.

ebsocalmtb

Sep 29, 2021
Southern-Cal
I put a 8.5" x 2.5"(216mm x 63.5mm) Fox Float X CTD, from my old 2015 Yet Sb6. I was a bit suspect about the increase in travel from 140mm to 161mm. Seems that most on here just calculated the proportionality to figure this out, but after putting it on I can confirm that travel increased to 152mm not 161mm and it rides like crap. The shock I had is tuned for a 2015 yeti sb6 and the tuning is medium compression, medium rebound (which would make it harsh for this bike), it rode much better with the original stock shock.

The fox float X ctd is a terrible shock... not trying to be a jerk here, but that shock is absolute trash and honestly wouldn't even be as good as a current day dps. I definitely appreciate the feedback on the total travel, but in terms of suspension performance, the stock bike with 140mm travel and a 2022 dps/dpx2/floatX is going to always be better then a long shocked rise with a turd of a shock.

Dirtyrig

Dec 26, 2021
New York
The fox float X ctd is a terrible shock... not trying to be a jerk here, but that shock is absolute trash and honestly wouldn't even be as good as a current day dps. I definitely appreciate the feedback on the total travel, but in terms of suspension performance, the stock bike with 140mm travel and a 2022 dps/dpx2/floatX is going to always be better then a long shocked rise with a turd of a shock.
Yea I didn't mean to make it sound like a longer shock made the rise ride like crap. If the shock I used to test it was tuned with a light compression it would have been much better. The progressive nature of the rise does not do good with air shocks that have a heavier compression tuning, or in other words a shock that would make the bike even more progressive. Other than that I did it just to confirm what the actual travel is if adding a 8.5" x 2.5"(216mm x 63.5mm) shock.

vcna

May 10, 2022
Switzerland
Hi! May I ask you your frame sizes? I’m considering to put an EXT on my Rise M10 size medium. Frame incompatibility seems to have been reported… thanks a lot!

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
yes i did, but valt spring are wider so neither all shocks are the same (piggy back,size,etc.) or all the springs are the same (different wide) 🤨
Running a Vault spring on my Large Rise no issues on TTX coil but not using the progressive one!

fitek

Jan 27, 2022
Bellingham WA
I put a 8.5x2.5 Bomber CR with Sprindex on my medium rise. Rear offset bushing (the front doesn't fit with the Bomber). Forgot that since the Rise has Shimano 12 speed my 27.5 wheel wont work so I've just been running the stock 29 inch.

Whatever geo side effects may have occurred, it is more than offset by the lovely smoothness of 160mm coil out back.

No rubbing issues and I'm sure I've used most of the travel. I cased some jumps pretty hard now that it feels painless to do so. I expected the coil to be less poppy but that so far has not been my experience. On proper jumps I get more sensation of acceleration than w the X2. I also feel like a get a better pump in berms.

365-375lbs seems to work for my 145lbs weight. I tried down to 340 but it felt too soft. So much for the calculators.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles