Is the cx race motor worth it for a non racer?

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
It is about 15-20% more on the bike cost, about $2k nzd.

At this stage i'm thinking its not worth the extra cash.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I wouldn't have thought so. You save 150 grammes ? - If you're thinking about the pole, then the price difference includes the race axles (which are 60-80g ? something like that, heavier).

The main difference is Race mode which has a far longer over run and the motor needs hardly any pedal turn before it kicks out full power, so for most people/situations, it would be more of a burden than a use.

Leo made quite a good video on it if you can find that, it shows how it reacts quite well.

Edit : found it :

Leo :

and Rob's

Uktonyb77

Feb 19, 2023
Uk
It definitely helps on steep rooty technical ascents but otherwise I’ve found no benefit over normal turbo mode. A lot of extra $$$ for the benefits you gain and I’m sure will be obsolete on the release of the next gen Bosch motors when they will probably up the NM torque of a new motor and allow 400% assist just like the race motor does. If I could have got my bike I’d wanted with a normal cx performance line motor and saved the $$$ I would have. Maybe people who race etc have more grounds to see the performance benefits.

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
I wouldn't have thought so. You save 150 grammes ? - If you're thinking about the pole, then the price difference includes the race axles (which are 60-80g ? something like that, heavier).

The main difference is Race mode which has a far longer over run and the motor needs hardly any pedal turn before it kicks out full power, so for most people/situations, it would be more of a burden than a use.

Leo made quite a good video on it if you can find that, it shows how it reacts quite well.

Edit : found it :

Leo :

and Rob's

Yes its on the Voima. They way they package up their deals you have to buy other stuff at the same time with the upgrade. Spec that I don't want.
I'm looking at a complete build. The actual cost difference is $2662 nz yikers. I think i am answering my own question.

That's just too much increase. I would like the race motor. But not at that price difference.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Yes its on the Voima. They way they package up their deals you have to buy other stuff at the same time with the upgrade. Spec that I don't want.
I'm looking at a complete build. The actual cost difference is $2662 nz yikers. I think i am answering my own question.

That's just too much increase. I would like the race motor. But not at that price difference.
Not worth it IMO. Race motor is good, but the standard Bosch CX Gen4 motor is also very good.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles