Is the 300w Bosch powerpack smaller and lighter than 500w?

RodneyH

May 28, 2023
Orange County
I am new to ebikes, but I recently acquired a Haibike Xduro FullSeven 7.0 that uses the PowerPack Bosch system. Has a 500w battery that is huge and heavy. I know that weight isn't as much of an issue on ebikes, for obvious reasons, but there are efforts being made to make them lighter, which are also costly. Also coming from a more traditional mountain bike back ground, even on the DH side, I've always preferred to be on the lighter weight side of things as long as reliability and durability aren't sacrificed. That being said, I notice that Bosch also makes a 400w and a 300w. I can't seem to find any firm information on the weight and dimensions, but seems to me like it would make sense that the 300w would be 40% smaller and 40% lighter. On the official Bosch website, I am seeing the exact same dimensions and weight, which makes absolutely no sense to me. While doing research, I did see that someone indicated that the 300w is about 1 kg lighter in wt, but the details seem kind of vague. Seems like a good option if only going on a short ride.

Does anyone have any info?

Shark58

Mar 5, 2023
Germany
On the official Bosch website, I am seeing the exact same dimensions and weight, which makes absolutely no sense to me.
It does make sense.

The physical dimensions of the three PowerPacks are identical. Only part of the total weight comes from the cells inside. There might even be some dummy cells in the lower capacity variants. If not, the weight difference ist so small, that a lower capacity PowerPack is not the route to less weight of your bike.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Some bikes, like the Lapierre GLP2 come with the 500 and the 300 and are interchangeable (depending on which bike spec you buy) - so you can have even lighter when you need it, or carry it in the rucksack which comes with the bike and swap out.

mctubster

Jul 18, 2023
Nelson, NZ
Likely will not get the weight reduction you are proposing, while lower density cells are lighter, a number of components (cell casing, over pressure valves, battery interconnects, bms, battery case) are still the same. You would be better to go for a low powered ebike where both the motor and battery could each be 1.5kg lighter

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles