Is rider weight a determining factor for suspension travel?

brw0513

May 18, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
Unfortunately, I'm back up to 120kg after recent surgery and not always making good dietary choices during recovery i.e. snacking. It seems I currently weigh too much according some of the eMTB specs :(

I now have more motivation than ever to get a eMTB and begin trail riding at a slow initial pace. Should I be considering longer suspension travel to make it "kinder" on the bike is that just silly thinking?

Thanks.

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada
I'm right around the same weight as you,, my Devinci AC is setup as a 170/170mm travel enduro, my analog bike is a Devinci Troy setup as a 160mm/140mm travel. My only advise being a heavier rider comes from the fact that I personally prefer coil shocks, I think they hold up better to the abuse from a heavier rider because the coil has better hold up and the seals seem to be more durable on coils shocks in my experience.

Depending on what you plan on riding I also say get the most travel you are comfortable with. Being an eBike I'm personally less concerned about pedaling efficiency of a shorter travel bike. I'd rather be "over biked" than under biked. For an eBike I wouldn't consider anything with less than 160mm/150mm travel front and rear.

Konanige

Feb 29, 2020
Mendips
The amount of suspension travel is irrelevant, what is relevant though is that a longer travel fork will have a bigger stronger chassis than a short travel fork. The rear not so much. The next problem is that you'll be running really high pressures and on the limits of the stock damping, so the fork won't feel 'great'. As its an ebike you probably be best served with long travel, unless of course you run out of juice???

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles