ADVOCACY for higher MAX SYSTEM WEIGHT. What is MSW ??

manueloFRCR

Dec 29, 2020
Czech Republic
I think we can all agree that bikes and emtb's a whole are getting "larger" on average as time goes by. Likewise as technology, understanding, demand, marketing departments desires increase - components and bikes often offer stronger (and in turn, often heavier) options. Like 38mm Zeb's and Fox's as an example.

Just because people are 2m tall doesn't mean they should be excluded. Being taller doesn't mean you can't be a great rider and still enjoy the sport, look at Cathro.

In an ideal world, maybe an XL version of a bike would also have a different component spec. But this either doesn't exist or would be prohibitively expensive for a company to develop and test with a bike. They are still companies and still have to make a profit to survive and make more bikes. If you accommodate a higher MSW into all the product sizes, the bike will ultimately be heavier and certainly wouldn't perform as well for a lighter smaller rider. The proportional difference between bike and rider weight would be lower, which would in turn require far more precise/expensive suspension items - but it would still be a much more unpleasant handling bike.

For the more mass positive rider they will ultimately have a smaller choice. But there are companies out there who let you spec differently when choosing the bike, which may also result in a higher MSW - like Propane or Thok (if you e-mail them).

If anything, it's getting harder and harder for smaller riders to find a suitable bike (not trying to draw attention away from the higher MSW issue). You only need to read the pain suffered on the ladies thread.

Zimmerframe do you have the title of the thread by any chance ?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
WTF mentioned war?
?

You really do like a drama, eh? ?

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
If a particularly large or heavy customer walks into a shop I'm fairly sure it's one of the first things staff do notice.
And any decent staff member will take this into account and advise said customer accordingly.
It's kinda what shops are for

Johneracer

Sep 17, 2020
USA
Let the market decide! I was 120kg when I started biking and now I’m 93kg (it sounds much more dramatic in lbs). If there is a demand from heavy riders, the manufacturers will respond. I hate the idea of frames being overbuilt because few heavy riders demanding it. If you are too heavy and concerned about liability of frame giving out, loose weight!

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
If you are too heavy and concerned about liability of frame giving out, loose weight!
We joke a lot about how most e-bikers are a bunch of lardy fat overweight lazy gits .. When in fact, many are just average weight lazy gits :p :ROFLMAO:

I think @manueloFRCR was thinking more on the lines of taller riders, many of whom are just physically much larger human beings and therefore much heavier than your average short arse.

manueloFRCR

Dec 29, 2020
Czech Republic
Let the market decide! I was 120kg when I started biking and now I’m 93kg (it sounds much more dramatic in lbs). If there is a demand from heavy riders, the manufacturers will respond. I hate the idea of frames being overbuilt because few heavy riders demanding it. If you are too heavy and concerned about liability of frame giving out, loose weight!
well i my case I need to loose a leg then :)
We joke a lot about how most e-bikers are a bunch of lardy fat overweight lazy gits .. When in fact, many are just average weight lazy gits :p :ROFLMAO:

I think @manueloFRCR was thinking more on the lines of taller riders, many of whom are just physically much larger human beings and therefore much heavier than your average short arse.

:) when I was in the army and very skinny i was 105kg :)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles