Is my Decoy frame cracked ?

Chrysaor

Apr 12, 2021
Switzerland
Hi everybody,

I have noticed a strange crack on my decoy 29 around the upper battery axis bolt.

I wonder if I should worry or if it is more likely the paint what do you think?
Thank for you opinion!
IMG_4645.JPG

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Alloy or CF frame, I'd get that checked out!
Even if its only the paint, its still a warranty claim (if less than 2 years old).
Let us know how you get on.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
assuming that is a carbon frame it is probably the filler around the insert used to for the bolt. Provided the insert does not come loose I would not worry about it. Carbon flexes and is likely to expose where filler has been used to achieve a cosmetic finish.

Chrysaor

Apr 12, 2021
Switzerland
Thanks for your comments!
From the inside I don't see any crack and it corresponds to the thicker point of the frame, where the insert is. I would be tempted to remove a little bit of the paint to see how the carbon behind looks like...

So I have reported it to YT and they answer me that I could send them the bike back in order for their technicians to have a closer look. Which seems a good idea but I am really afraid to be without bike for months with their customer service.
I have a creaking rear axle reported to them early January and they quickly offered me to send me new washers but I am still waiting for them 4 months later after sending many emails back and forth so I expect the worst if I have to send them the whole bike...

YTPablo

Jun 27, 2020
Scotland
I have had similar cracks to paint work on Capras in the past. Both times they replaced the frame even though it was supposedly just a paint crack. No complaints about that and was happy with the outcome but you really do need to be prepared to not have the bike for a while. Your either keeping the bike long term in which case you want to get it sorted before your warranty runs out or your upgrading each year in which case nobody will want to buy it when they see that crack. I tent to keep mine for 1-2 years depending on how much I like there new models. Since becoming a yt fan boy iv realised its worth owning a decent hardtail for if/when you have to send the yt back for warranty.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles