Is my bike to small? Need advice. Rise L 6'1 90kg

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
Not updated this thread in a while. I tested a mates SL which didnt have this handling characteristic with even shorter reach. I have since mulleted the rise and the sensation is gone. Mulleting will essentially shorten reach, increase stack height, decrease head angle, reduce BB. I can only conclude as someone has pointed out it is due to headangle and center of gravity. I will play around with stack height/longer fork back on the 29/29 setup at some point but I'm loving it as a mullet at the moment. I have also gone back to stock tokens and a bit softer pressures but getting through the shock a bit too easily at the moment.
Nice, mulleting will reduce you hta by about 1° and lower the bb by about 10mm. Hows the ground clearance? More pedal tagging? The rise is relatively low bb height to begin with.

RiseCm10

Apr 21, 2023
Crowthorne
Nice, mulleting will reduce you hta by about 1° and lower the bb by about 10mm. Hows the ground clearance? More pedal tagging? The rise is relatively low bb height to begin with.
Yea notably more pedal tagging. Not decided yet if it’s bad enough to do something about, certainly not on my local trails which is it’s main use. I bought another bike for the big stuff.

ebsocalmtb

Sep 29, 2021
Southern-Cal
you're on the right path. I am 6'2" on an XL rise. Typically, my preferred reach is about 485-490. The XL feels long/big when in full 29 due to the reach and the length of the seat tube. I too noted a feeling of the front end tucking on high speed berms and awkward sections. I have since converted it to a mullet as well and extended the fork to 160 (i also put 160mm cranks on it).

The combination of the bottom bracket drop offset f/r, head tube angle and increase in stack height have eliminated the front end tuck feeling for me as well. I didn't mind it before as it's a sensation that I experience often on xc/trail bikes, but it became a bit un-nerving at speed.

I would also re-visit your rear sag and ensure that it's correct. 240psi seems like quite a bit for 90kg. I would guess that your rear sag is around 25% or so and really, I think 30% would be a bit more appropriate.

RiseCm10

Apr 21, 2023
Crowthorne
you're on the right path. I am 6'2" on an XL rise. Typically, my preferred reach is about 485-490. The XL feels long/big when in full 29 due to the reach and the length of the seat tube. I too noted a feeling of the front end tucking on high speed berms and awkward sections. I have since converted it to a mullet as well and extended the fork to 160 (i also put 160mm cranks on it).

The combination of the bottom bracket drop offset f/r, head tube angle and increase in stack height have eliminated the front end tuck feeling for me as well. I didn't mind it before as it's a sensation that I experience often on xc/trail bikes, but it became a bit un-nerving at speed.

I would also re-visit your rear sag and ensure that it's correct. 240psi seems like quite a bit for 90kg. I would guess that your rear sag is around 25% or so and really, I think 30% would be a bit more appropriate.
Not a bad idea. I’ve actually been running 250 recently and even then smashing through the travel. Perhaps I put a bigger token in and reset it.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles