Is it normal?

Happydog

Dec 16, 2020
Ireland
Hi everyone. New to the forum and ebikes. I have a hardseven 1.5 with the Yamaha pw-se motor with around 60 miles on it and have noticed that when I start to pedal after coasting the pedals move a little before the chainring start's to move.

It's not much maybe 3-5 degrees it happens in all power levels even with power off. I have checked all the bolts and they are all tight.

I was wondering if any of you have the same motor and is it just a characteristic of the motor or a clutch engaging or something more?

Thanks

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
You'll notice that, unlike a normal emtb, when you rotate the pedals backwards, the chainring doesn't turn - it's not actually attached directly to the cranks.

I'm guessing what you're seeing is just the movement in the engagement mechanism, though I don't have any experience with the Yamaha motor.

yorkshire89

E*POWAH Master
Sep 30, 2020
North Yorkshire
No experience of your motor, but if I spin my pedals backwards you can here 50 clicks for every pedal revolution (Bosch).
So when you start pedalling there can be upto 7.2 degrees of free movement before the cranks engage with the motor.
It's not something I've ever noticed out riding though...

Happydog

Dec 16, 2020
Ireland
Hi guys. To be honest it's not that bad but it's there. Compared to an analogue bike its noticeable, but that's all I have to compare it too and was wondering if it's there in other mid drive bikes or just the Yamaha. I have experience with Yamaha motorcycles and they are always great quality.

Thanks

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
Is this the response time that the improved ratchet mech in the PW-X2 addresses?

1608141885693.png

Last edited:

Mabman

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
I happened to just ride a 2021 Trance E+ Pro on my locals yesterday and I didn't really notice engagement being slack other than the fact that it does engage with the full force of whatever mode you are in and you'd better be ready to move ahead, especially doing stall moves in higher assist levels.

Happydog

Dec 16, 2020
Ireland
Thanks Jack the backlash thing makes sense. Probably just me being overly cautious about my new purchase. Lol

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles