Is it just me or is the seat tube oddly long on the Rise?

Feb 21, 2022
Los Angeles
I looked at the Orbea Blue Papers and it looks like I should be able to fit most of a OneUp 210 dropper in the frame to replace the OEM 150.

Compared to my Ripmo and Spire, I've surprised at how much seat tube there is and how hard it is to get the saddle out of the way on step descents.
Screen Shot 2022-02-27 at 9.45.43 PM.png

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
It’s only really long on the XL model! Transition are renowned for having v short seat tube & Ibis! Have owned both Smuggler & Ripley

Sherman

May 9, 2018
3rd Rock
Looks like the seat tubes are extremely short on Ripmo and Spire.

Also, I really don't understand the need to slam the saddle as low as it goes. As long as it goes down enough is..ehh enough. I have plenty of seatpost showing on my DH bike, actually I use inner thighs to control the bike.

MikeL_mtb

Feb 15, 2022
New York
Yes, I see people recommending to upsize alot on this bike, and I can't see how the seat tube is NOT an issue when doing that. I'm 5'9
(175cm) and I couldn't ride a large with a 457 seat tube, I would need a 120mm dropper. I do have a transition patrol in LG and a 475 reach, which I can ride downhill just fine, but it has, I think a 420ish seat tube.

jka

Dec 17, 2020
Nevada, USA
Not too long for me. I'm 5'11' on a large and I can drag my butt on the tire if I want to. I'd rather not though. Every body is built differently. If you have shorter legs and the same height as me, it might seem like the seat tube is too long. Get the right size for you or get another bike with geo that fits your body better. If you're 5'9", you might do better on a medium.

Feb 21, 2022
Los Angeles
I don't know how you can buzz your butt with the rear wheel. You would have to be way back and too high, maybe even behind the saddle which would be dangerous.

I'm jumping and moving my bike around in the air and the saddle is more in the way than any of the 30 some bikes I've ridden in the last five years. When on very steep chutes that saddle is no where out of the way. I wonder if I would have gone with a levo SL if I had found a test bike before.

MikeL_mtb

Feb 15, 2022
New York
I don't know how you can buzz your butt with the rear wheel. You would have to be way back and too high, maybe even behind the saddle which would be dangerous.

I'm jumping and moving my bike around in the air and the saddle is more in the way than any of the 30 some bikes I've ridden in the last five years. When on very steep chutes that saddle is no where out of the way. I wonder if I would have gone with a levo SL if I had found a test bike before.
I haven't done the math on it yet, but the collar and "stack" of the stock dropper is tall, the one up shimmed so the collar is flush with the frame should help as it's a lower stack design, and their collar is pretty thin compared to most.

Feb 21, 2022
Los Angeles
I haven't done the math on it yet, but the collar and "stack" of the stock dropper is tall, the one up shimmed so the collar is flush with the frame should help as it's a lower stack design, and their collar is pretty thin compared to most.
I'll install the post this week and report back with photos.

jka

Dec 17, 2020
Nevada, USA
If that's a problem, then this bike is clearly not the bike for you and your body geometry. I don't have any problem with the seat tube length and it is no worse that any of the 100 or so bikes I've ridden in the past 30+ years. Don't ride a bike that is dangerous for your riding style. You can't change the seat tube length so you have to deal with in one way or another. If you already bought one, sell it. If you haven't, don't buy one.

Chicane

Nov 11, 2020
SoCal
I’m 6’ with a longer than average inseam 35” for my height and ride a Large Rise. I have a 180mm Oneup and have 45mm of seat post showing, so I could easily run a 210mm dropper.

Height doesn’t matter as much as your inseam does.

Snowrydr01

Dec 15, 2021
Jeeptj01!
I looked at the Orbea Blue Papers and it looks like I should be able to fit most of a OneUp 210 dropper in the frame to replace the OEM 150.

Compared to my Ripmo and Spire, I've surprised at how much seat tube there is and how hard it is to get the saddle out of the way on step descents. View attachment 83006

I also own a ripmo (in medium) and the 418 is a bit deceiving. If i slam the seat the tires hits the saddle aggressively. I need the dropper 20mm above the seat collar to clear the back tire.

BiGJZ74

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 17, 2021
American Canyon, CA
I'm 5'11" on a large rise and found that the 170 OC dropper felt a bit higher than I prefer when it's slammed (tall stack height). I tried to install a oneup 210 slammed which fits, but the cable had just enough tension on it to not release properly although it fit slammed to the collar. I have a long torso and short legs so I need a bigger frame with a deep seat post insertion depth. I've found my max Seat tube I can run is 460mm with a max insertion of 310mm to fit a One up 210 slammed. I've ordered a Oneup v2 actuator to see if that works with the rises intervals better because the 210 had a perfect dropped and extended height for me. The part delivers this coming Wednesday so we shall see,

Scford

Feb 10, 2021
Santa Cruz
It is a bit taller than I like, especially coming off a heckler which felt lower. However I found running a oneup v2 dropper was about as ideal as I could get, the stack height is 2.5cm lower than the stock orbea dropper, I can get away with running a 180mm dropper just about slammed, but the reduced stack let’s the seat get out of the way pretty well tbh.

5’10” on a large btw

Scford

Feb 10, 2021
Santa Cruz
512BDB0E-1D14-4AE2-B9C2-C680AC682ECB.jpeg

Here’s a great comparison from enduro mag that compares stack heights of some popular droppers, helped me figure out how to maximize the drop I could get!

Interpaul

Jun 18, 2018
Edinburgh
Resurrecting this post, I have an XL rise. I am 6' 1.5" and was advised by the shop I bought the bike from to buy the XL. Swithered a bit between L and XL.

Anyway I have the XL now and it fits me great, but sometimes on steep stuff I would like the saddle a bit lower. If the OneUp will drop the saddle by 2.5cm as mentioned by @Scford that would be perfect. Does anyone have a pic of the ONeUp slammed right down so I can see how much it reduces height?

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
181cm tall on Large with one up 210mm dropper slammed. Nothing original on my M20

Interpaul

Jun 18, 2018
Edinburgh
It's a non issue actually, I rode a load of steep off piste trails at Glentress at the weekend and the saddle was never in the way once.

Money would be better spent on shorter cranks :)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles