• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Interested in Tire opinions – But probably not what you think

the202

Subscriber
Mar 6, 2024
Windrixville
There will be occasions when my riding sessions will be on flat paved bike paths and neighborhood roads with my young kids. Of course, I’m looking to leverage my e-MTB for this purpose but don’t want to prematurely wear out my off-road tires. To accommodate this, I’ve purchased an additional set of wheels that I intend to outfit with everything necessary (rotors, cassette, and tires) for a quick 1:1 swap when needed.

I’m trying to identify a set of smooth-rolling urban/road tires that come in both 27.5 and 29 sizes since my bike is a mullet. I’m also trying to find the widest tires possible to maintain the MTB aesthetic. So far, I’ve zeroed in on the Maxxis Hookworm since it meets most of my requirements. I’m interested in your opinions; do you have any thoughts or recommendations?

Maxxis-Hookworm.jpg

Eventually, I’ll solve this problem with an e-Road Bike, but that won’t be po$$ible for several years. Thanks in advance!

Solution
Take a look at the various "SL" bikes or XC bikes....they invariably are fitted with the lightest/fastest rolling tyres for an EMTB.

the202

Subscriber
Mar 6, 2024
Windrixville
For my roadie wheelset I decided on the Maxxis Hookworm. Conspicuous logo aside, they are extremely well built and remarkably fast (for obvious reasons). The road grip is excellent, especially in turns. If you’re looking for a de facto e-commuter/urban experience, the Hookworms are brilliant.

Maxxis-Hookworms.jpg

the202

Subscriber
Mar 6, 2024
Windrixville
Have you tried them outside asphalt?
Yes. As you might expect, they perform well on grass and fine dirt (roadside or trail). With gravel, though, they tend to skim while cornering or leaning, i.e., they don’t give way completely. In other words, they have so much surface area – being 2.5” (63.5mm) wide – they might lose momentary traction but recover (grip) once again, then slide (briefly) and grip yet again (wash-rinse-repeat).

In mud, they’re not bad, but not great. Regarding single-track, I had no preconceptions, and I only tested them briefly - out of sheer curiosity. They faint at the mere sight of tree roots and moss, it was nerve-wracking, but came as no surprise.

In all, they perform better than expected and excel on urban surfaces, asphalt, and tarmac. My only complaint is the front tire arrived (directly from the Maxxis factory) with a series of white stains, whereas the rear tire is a consistent, deep black (it’s noticeable in my picture above). After reaching out, Maxxis explained the issue was likely a mold release agent anomaly that should clear up over time. Thus far, however, it hasn’t. My theory is the front tire was likely manufactured several years ago and has been sitting in storage.

Although I don’t necessarily care about the anemic appearance of the front tire, Maxxis was very dismissive when I inquired about the issue. They basically responded: F*#k Off. Despite my previous recommendation ("Hookworms are brilliant"), given the Maxxis response and the high cost (they weren’t cheap), I won’t purchase another Maxxis product again.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles