• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Cushcore, which rear tire for durability

Mattman

Feb 4, 2023
Philadelphia
Just picked up my first EMTB: Trek Rail7 this past Sunday. On my third ride (today), I got a puncture in my rear tire. I knew from reading these forums that I should get Cushcores and that has been my plan. Based on todays events, that plan has been accelerated. My plan is to have REI install the Cushcores, I am looking for recommendations on durable tires. I ride my local trails which are rooty and rocky with a few drops. With all of the tire specs, its a little overwhelming. Thouhgts/recs?

Thanks

JP-NZ

Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
Maxxis DHR2 on the rear 29x2.4/2.5 depending on what you can get.

on Punctures get Exo for light protection, Doubledown or DH for extra protection

Also have a read of this with a beer in hand

jgusta

Mar 21, 2021
USA
Just picked up my first EMTB: Trek Rail7 this past Sunday. On my third ride (today), I got a puncture in my rear tire. I knew from reading these forums that I should get Cushcores and that has been my plan. Based on todays events, that plan has been accelerated. My plan is to have REI install the Cushcores, I am looking for recommendations on durable tires. I ride my local trails which are rooty and rocky with a few drops. With all of the tire specs, its a little overwhelming. Thouhgts/recs?

Thanks
Rail 9.7 owner here and have ran CushCore on rear only over past 8 months until removed about 1 month ago due to bad tire tear. Just running tube with tire since and no issues.

Thoughts on CushCore in my experience on heavy ebike (54 lbs) aboard 200 lb rider who rides like a gorilla at times on trail. CC best feeling liner to me, especially when landing big hits in the rough, adds a bit of pillowy cushion sensation on hard weighted compressions. Much better than Tannus Tubeless liners for me that I roasted my stock rear rim w/stock thin XR5 tires right out of the gate when first got my bike. CC feel nice when landing hard, but not fool proof with heavy e-riding I have found. I have cracked a Enduro carbon rim with it and tore Super Gravity casing tire badly with CC as well. Couldn’t get CC off on trail side since in super thick/wide carbon DH rim, so had to ride out flat. Took me and a buddy to pop bead of tire off to remove CC. CC likely saved me from other bad tire tears possibly, but lots of tread left on Super Gravity casing Magic Mary that I just popped tube in and doing fine over past 1.5 months of hard riding. Once removed CC, insert looked pretty haggered and chewed up. So likely not putting it back in

Last edited:

Mattman

Feb 4, 2023
Philadelphia
Sounds like you simply are running too low pressures. My weight is 210lbs and I’m running a MINIUM of 22/25 psi f/r and if I’m gonna ride hard I’m above 30 rear.

As for the op, Mattman I’d recommend a DD rear with cushcore and not the super soft compound otherwise you’ll be going through tires every month because they wear fast.

Also learn how to install cushcore. The super easy way is get a new tire and ride it for a week or so then pull one side of the bead out and install the cushcore then you’re good after that. A new tire can simply be too night if your hand strength isn’t there or arthritic. Other options are to install new tires out on the sun on a hot day so that tire gets hot and flexible. I’ve used the hot shower water before too. (Nothing wrong with showering and knocking out changing a tire at the same time). Or pay the kids at REI but I’m sure it’ll be an absurd cost for something that can be easy to do.
Im looking at in stock Assegai max terra exo+ tires. Will exo+ be enough or should i hold out for dd (6’1” 215)?

REI charges $35 to install a pair.

jgusta

Mar 21, 2021
USA
Sounds like you simply are running too low pressures. My weight is 210lbs and I’m running a MINIUM of 22/25 psi f/r and if I’m gonna ride hard I’m above 30 rear.

As for the op, Mattman I’d recommend a DD rear with cushcore and not the super soft compound otherwise you’ll be going through tires every month because they wear fast.

Also learn how to install cushcore. The super easy way is get a new tire and ride it for a week or so then pull one side of the bead out and install the cushcore then you’re good after that. A new tire can simply be too night if your hand strength isn’t there or arthritic. Other options are to install new tires out on the sun on a hot day so that tire gets hot and flexible. I’ve used the hot shower water before too. (Nothing wrong with showering and knocking out changing a tire at the same time). Or pay the kids at REI but I’m sure it’ll be an absurd cost for something that can be easy to do.
28psi min rear typically. Install is a bitch.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
you started by saying you got a puncture...............and went straight to tyre inserts as a solution!! Are you running tubeless?? If so a puncture will self heal unless the tyre is ripped or the hole is too big.

I would say first off go tubeless if youa re not already.
Second, at your weight, run a rear tyre pressure suited to your terrain. If it is rocky, I would suggest at least 25psi. Roots should not be a problem unless you just smash into them.
Third, run a stronger rear tyre..........DD for Maxxis for example.

If after all that you suffer pinch flats or tyre rips, that might be the time to consider using tyre inserts. Note that inserts can help in extreme rocky conditions but they also at least alter ( some would say defeat) the natural profile and rebound etc of the tyre design. So you gain a bit and lose a bit!!

A06

Mar 9, 2023
Corona, CA
Cushcore and Maxis dont play well in my experience.

Fun fact you are not supposed to use levers with Maxis.

Fun fact number two...cant install Cushcore without levers and if you can we should talk about the dangers of steroid use.

With Cushcore I had much better success with Magic Mary's. Problem with the maxis is the bead is easily deformed resulting in wobbly tires.

Currently running Tanus inserts with DHF/DHR tires and those can be installed without levers so no wobble. Lighter and less expensive but not the same degree of protection as CC.

Sorry just a bit of bitterness from my experience with CC and Maxis, very frustrating to have that much money invested in inserts and tires only to have the tires wobble like a $200 Walmart special.

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 22, 2020
FIN
I don't understand how cushcore would affect on tire durability.

Most problems when installing cushcores that you don't watch the installation video and don't drop the bead correctly.

Maxxis and not using levers sound a little internet rumour.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I still use levers, but not the cheap plastic ones or anything with metal imbedded. I use the large CushCore plastic levers on most tires.
Since I use a 35mm offset raceface rim with 2.6 Maxxis Assigia tire, I was able to fit the CushCore Plus. Not easy to do…but I got it. I had to chase the bead several times with two CushCore levers until the bead was pushed into the channel. 24-25psi seems to be fine.

Boomstick303

Aug 16, 2023
Colorado
Maxxis and not using levers sound a little internet rumour.

That is exactly what I was thinking. Upon a short amount of research installing Maxxis tires over cushcore was a breeze. Really no harder than installing any other tubelss setup if you watch the video.

The reason I ask for where people get info like that is I want to make sure its NOT true like I suspect. I typically never get a response.

Mrj35

Sep 29, 2023
canada
I used a couple of plastic tire levers to get the cushcore out of a maxxis DD tire. First I break the bead from the rim all the way around on both sides with my hands then I just removed like normal. I think it took like 5 minutes. The cushcore didn't save my rim and it wont hold air tubeless anymore, its pretty warped and a big flat spot. I had 30psi in at the time.
So my faith in tire inserts is low 😅

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
I used a couple of plastic tire levers to get the cushcore out of a maxxis DD tire. First I break the bead from the rim all the way around on both sides with my hands then I just removed like normal. I think it took like 5 minutes. The cushcore didn't save my rim and it wont hold air tubeless anymore, its pretty warped and a big flat spot. I had 30psi in at the time.
So my faith in tire inserts is low 😅
Wow.... that is quite an anomaly from the majority of insert users. What kind of wheels were you using and what kind of trails do you ride? How did you get a big flat spot in your wheel? Did your wheel ever hold air or only after you got the flat spot in it did it start losing air?

Mrj35

Sep 29, 2023
canada
Wow.... that is quite an anomaly from the majority of insert users. What kind of wheels were you using and what kind of trails do you ride? How did you get a big flat spot in your wheel? Did your wheel ever hold air or only after you got the flat spot in it did it start losing air?
It's a stock wheel which I was hoping the cushcore would prolong its inevitable death lol. Stan's Flow rim.
I re tensioned the wheel about 3 times before it started losing all the air.

At the time I was doing steep fast rocky dh and like 1000+ meters of it. But I think on one steep section I had to do about a 5ft drop to flat onto another nasty rock section was when I bent it. That was the 5th ride I think.

I think maybe I'll try one of those tannus inserts that go around the tube. Anyone tried those before?

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I think maybe I'll try one of those tannus inserts that go around the tube. Anyone tried those before?
The main reason I bought the CushCore tire insert thingy was because it came with a sticker.👍🏻

IMG_6791.jpeg

As a bonus, I would be able to limp my bike home if I was to slash the sidewall or develop a puncture that was un-fixable. It also helps to prevent a serious bend in my rim when I inadvertently case the wheel.

They usually throw in a valve also, but I never use those. Filmore valves are my go-to now. I use a CushCore plus which barely fits into a 35mm rim and 2.6” tire. The very slight added width seems to help in the snow. 24-25psi normally but I could drop the psi depending on conditions.

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
It's a stock wheel which I was hoping the cushcore would prolong its inevitable death lol. Stan's Flow rim.
I re tensioned the wheel about 3 times before it started losing all the air.

At the time I was doing steep fast rocky dh and like 1000+ meters of it. But I think on one steep section I had to do about a 5ft drop to flat onto another nasty rock section was when I bent it. That was the 5th ride I think.

Oh my.... thats pretty bad ass! Where are you riding... Mount 7 Psychosis? Which emtb were you on?

Last edited:

A06

Mar 9, 2023
Corona, CA
Where did you find this informtaion?
When I called then to figure out why 3 new tires all were wobbly after installing cush core. They said they dont reccomend using levers when installing with CC inserts and if you use levers and damage bead its on you.

I loved CC inserts on my Trek Roscoe with + tires and they mounted just fine. My experience running "normal width" tires 2.4-2.6 on 35mm Hope Fortus rims was never successful with Minions. Running WTB Verdict/Judge combo now with Tanus inserts and they mount up much easier and no wobble. I also did have good success with the Magic Mary and CC inserts but CC and Minions for me after several attempts has been just awful.

Boomstick303

Aug 16, 2023
Colorado
Weird, mine mounted up just fine. I followed a video on YouTube. I did use the Cush Core tools, which I think helped, but I do not think they were required to get the same result. I did let the tires and inserts sit in the sun for about 20 minutes, used a water soap mixture on the inside of the tires, break the bead on one the side you are working on before pulling the last 15-20% of the bead over the rim. Once one side is done push the bead into the center channel of the rim, then proceed to the other side. It really was not that bad. After 2 rides the sealant did its job and both tires are holding pressure with zero wobble.

I have researched the wobble issue and it seemed to be a bad batch of tires in one size and width. I think I read that on this forum, and other forums.

I am super heavy at 260 pounds riding a Trek Fuel Exe 9.7. I mounted the tires onto a set of Industry Nine wheels built with their Enduro 300 rims. Running 28 psi in the rear and 26 psi up front and no more squirm that I was getting from the stock wheels and tires. I discussed the proper wheelset with an I9 rep and that was what we came up with. Slick setup.

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
Weird, mine mounted up just fine. I followed a video on YouTube. I did use the Cush Core tools, which I think helped, but I do not think they were required to get the same result. I did let the tires and inserts sit in the sun for about 20 minutes, used a water soap mixture on the inside of the tires, break the bead on one the side you are working on before pulling the last 15-20% of the bead over the rim. Once one side is done push the bead into the center of the rim, then proceed to the other side. It really was not that bad. After 2 rides the sealant did its job and both tires are holding pressure with zero wobble.

I have researched the wobble issue and it seemed to be a bad batch of tires in one size and width. I think I read that on this forum, and other forums.
Last year, I had 3 Assagai EXO+ 29r tires that had wobbles built into them from the factory. The LBS replaced them without question.
It's the soapy water that does the trick on the CushCore install 😀

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles