• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Unanswered Dual Purpose tires (MTB & Road)

dschae1

Jul 20, 2021
Texas
I have a 2021 Trek Rail 7, 29" x 2.60" off road tires. I love my bike, but the reality is, I mostly ride around my area on roads and only about 10% of my riding is off road. I have nearly 2,000 miles on these tires and am going to replace them soon.

Question, has anybody found/used a tire that is road-friendly down the very center and off road on the sides? We once had a bike years ago that had this kind of tire. The center was a 1/4" wide bead with knobby tread outside of that.

Anybody riding anything like this?

Planemo

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 12, 2021
Essex UK
I use Schwalbe Johnny Watts on the rear of my bike during the summer months. Super happy with it. I do have a 2.8 rear so that may be helping though. Been fine for forest/trail light off road stuff.

The Maxxis DHR only goes on if I'm hitting a specific bike park or in the sloppier months but I don't do much of the latter anyway.

dschae1

Jul 20, 2021
Texas
Maybe one of these? Although, I'm not crazy having someone's name on my tires? Who was Johnny Watts? Google search didn't help
Review - reading the comments: Review -

dschae1

Jul 20, 2021
Texas
I've just ordered a pair of these. 29 x 2.4
i must have had the last pair as they're now out of stock.
Can you reply back after you hit the dirt on those? I tend to ride pretty aggressive on the trails and wonder if there is enough side grip with these. I bet they would be good for street surfaces though!

boBE

Apr 12, 2020
FL
Continental RaceKings are pretty good on pavement, pretty good on dirt, not much good on mud. Maxxis Crossmark a little better on dirt, not quite as good on pavement.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles