I should have bought a 2018 eOne Sixty 900E

brw0513

May 18, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
I'm kicking myself now. I should have purchased a 2018 e160 900. The removable battery, quality of components and Di2 mechanism were big pluses to me.

From what I can see, there is no true equivalent in the current Merida range.

I've been keeping my eye out for an XL example, in the places I can think of, but they just don't come up for sale. At least not in Brisbane, Australia.

I spent too much time researching :(

Moe Ped

Apr 19, 2020
Perth Australia
The New 9k or 10k are the equivalent for the old model, they dropped the di2 as I think an ebike has too much torque for it.

The new ones are carbon fibre and a have a mullet wheel configuration , I have the 10k and really like it, it’s really easy to change the battery.

Moe Ped

Apr 19, 2020
Perth Australia
Here is a summary from a review

Conclusion
Anyone looking for razor-sharp handling and maximum performance on the trail will find what they’re looking for with the MERIDA eONE-SIXTY 10K. It descends better than the Best in Test Specialized Levo, making it one of the best options for enduro riders, but it can’t keep up with the better climbing bikes in the test field. In terms of looks and build quality, MERIDA eONE-SIXTY 10K is right there with the best of them.

Lad

Nov 15, 2018
Australia
Once 2020 Merida range was unveiled late in 2019, I did get 2019 900E. Without much hesitation. And glad I did it. External battery hump doesn't faze me as I don't see when I'm riding it. Awesome bike, and in Australia the price on outgoing 2019 models was absolute bargain considering the components.

Moe Ped

Apr 19, 2020
Perth Australia
Agree the price of the older one was probably the best value for money ebike available based on its components.

I wanted a internal battery, Carbon fibre and a 29inch wheels, the mullet is perfect so am ok with just a front 29, the new bike handles really well I really like it.

I am not a very good rider so how the bike feels is really important it came with 2 batteries also which is good

For some reason in Aus we get the Meridas for a lot lower price than the UK.

Lad

Nov 15, 2018
Australia
The New 9k or 10k are the equivalent for the old model, they dropped the di2 as I think an ebike has too much torque for it.

Any bike, not just ebike, will have too much torque for Di2 when shifted under load.
I have nearly 2000km on mine Di2, still butter smooth shifts. But I do not pedal when shifting. Not when going downhill or flat let alone going uphill.

Lad

Nov 15, 2018
Australia
For some reason in Aus we get the Meridas for a lot lower price than the UK.

Funny I was just talking this morning about Merida prices with my LBS (Merida/Trek/Norco dealer). He's adamant that Merida outpriced themselves from competition (traditionally Giant in Australia) with their carbon frame/internal battery design. When e160 900E came out as a flagship he had 23 orders on his waiting list at RRP $8,900 AUD. He sold them all and also numerous 900, 800 and 500 models.

At $12,000 for 10K he did not sell one as yet, sold one 800 hybrid alloy and couple of 500's. That's it so far.

Moe Ped

Apr 19, 2020
Perth Australia
I agree at 12k it’s a tough sell especially for the Merida brand, although it has the best components money can buy. Compared to my LEvo carbon SL which came with some very ordinary components it’s not expensive really.

the wheels are probably where they could have saved some money and don’t really make sense, I paid just over $10,000 and it came with 2 batteries and a backpack to carry the spare one which is probably 1,000 of that cost.

it rides really well though so I would buy again if it was stolen or written off.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles