Levo Gen 2 I just had another belt (or sprag clutch) failure, curious how common it is - POLL

Have you had a belt failure?

• Yes, I've had 1 failure

Votes: 26 24.5%
  • Yes, more than 1 failure

Votes: 16 15.1%
  • No, bike has less than 1,000mi on it

Votes: 29 27.4%
  • No, bike has more than 1,000mi on it

Votes: 35 33.0%

• Total voters

Robert5280

May 19, 2020
Lakewood Co
We have now fitted a good number of the new thicker stronger belts and they seem to be working very well. This poll is a little unfair because 90% of clutch bearing failures are put down as belt failures because they can have very similar symptoms.
Brose only commissioned a stronger belt because of the extra power that can be put through the new 2020 motors, the earlier motors do not really eat belts. We probably fit 20 clutch bearings to every belt.
Do all of the 2020 Turbo Levo's have the same (version 2.1?) motor, including the Base Levo? Is there a way to verify which version motor my Levo has? (Based on my Serial #, I believe the motor on my 2020 Levo was built in September 2019).

Last edited:

Zero

Auto WARNING : Possible Duplicate user : "Fx1"
Apr 15, 2020
Midlands
The Decoy was in contention before I bought these Levos. I've recently started looking at them again. I'm actually local to YT (about 20mi away), and they occasionally have demo days. I plan to demo one some time this year.

I just sold my Decoy for a Kenevo. You will not like the downgrade to E8000. The Brose might be a lemon on reliability but its still better on performance in every metric. Decoy 2021 might be good if it gets newer shimano motor though.

Mach92x

May 3, 2020
Napa Ca
I'm actually in the United States (California). On my first failure, the dealer had it replaced right away...because they had backup motors in stock. These past two, however, they just ran out of motors. They keep receiving them, but they've had far too many failures in the shop to keep them in stock. When I went in this time, there were 3 new motors that just arrived from Specialized and all of those were being replaced under warranty.
I am in the USA with a new Specialized Turbo carbon Expert 2020. Sprag clutch failed at 300mi took LBS 10 days to turn it around back to me. I was very happy since this Covid 19 has bike shops backed upped for weeks for repairs. My new one now has 210 mi on it with no issues and seems smoother and more quite than my first.

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
We have now fitted a good number of the new thicker stronger belts and they seem to be working very well. This poll is a little unfair because 90% of clutch bearing failures are put down as belt failures because they can have very similar symptoms.
Brose only commissioned a stronger belt because of the extra power that can be put through the new 2020 motors, the earlier motors do not really eat belts. We probably fit 20 clutch bearings to every belt.
Chicken and egg ! You say belt they say clutch ! I say “ who gives a f?ck as long as it warrantied !

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
Do all of the 2020 Turbo Levo's have the same (version 2.1?) motor, including the Base Levo? Is there a way to verify which version motor my Levo has? (Based on my Serial #, I believe the motor on my 2020 Levo was built in September 2019).
No they don't, but I don't know at which serial number they were changed and or exactly what was changed?

Utah Rider

Jul 4, 2019
Utah
Ooops, I guess this poll is for newer Levos? I have two 17's. One with 5000 miles. It is bomb proof. After almost four seasons on my 17" I just bought an 18' Carbon Expert that had been sitting on the showroom floor for two years. That makes three Levos. I am very happy with the earlier motors. I had a motor go out at 3200 miles and Spesh sent a new one even though it was out of warranty. Completely satisfied.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles