Levo Gen 2 I can't afford a new 22 Carbon Levo

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent
You are having the Invisiframe installed professionally right? ?

no. I thought to save money on the ridiculously expensive bike I’d buy a few of these.

EF76B0AA-8BAD-44DC-9732-27AE2F5E740F.jpeg

gbarfoot

Sep 1, 2020
Colorado usa
Coming from a moto background I thought $6k ebikes were ridiculous. But now that I have one and get the enjoyment and riding opportunities I do, the cost makes sense.....at $6-7k

However from a logical cost standpoint these prices are getting absurd. Compare to a modern 450mx bike that's around $10k. Look at all of the components, testing and development that goes into those, the frequent model refreshes to compete, and the slim margins involved in that market. 13-15k is outrageous for a bicycle even if it does have a motor.

And I know these are "carbon" and come in 6 sizes...BUT research what plastic injection molds cost and count all of the plastic parts on a moto. The tooling and development costs of just the plastic components alone is a lot.....and that's before you even get to high stress motor components that spin at outrageous RPM and produce incredible power.....and are all controlled by EFI with BT mapping (yamaha) or traction control (ktm)

I love ebikes and will pay a good amount to enjoy them and have fun. But the logical side of my brain says we are being duped and trained to think this is what it should be.....and compared to very similar vehicles it is way out of whack, and not what we should be paying.

Why are moto manufacturers getting heavy into ebikes....I believe they see the margins and want a piece....they see ebikes as an easy way to make money for the development costs.......(that AND the fact that moto riding areas are disappearing they need a back up market it motorized recreation shrinks)

HeatproofGenie

Jul 23, 2018
CO, USA
The Expert a good comparison.
2021 expert £8500 (Fox 36 / DPS)
2022 expert £8750 (Fox 38 / X2 / TCU2)
So £250 extra for the new one.

not that the old one was cheap, but comparing year on year....

First time I've seen proposed Expert pricing, that accurate?

Anyway, the pricing is not all that bad when one remembers what SWorks pricing was, it's not much more than the '20.

Add me to another camp. Can afford it but is above a threshold and triggers my value sensibilities. Also I want to get my wife an emtb. She doesn't need or want an SWorks or Pro but let's considering if I bought two Pro's, here in the US that would be 26k. Quite a substantial amount no matter how it's rationalized.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Hmm... ZF is using reverse psychology on us. Next week we will all be convinced to buy one... watch this space
Zim is a (not so) secret Spesh shill. He'll be keeping a database of everyone who's bitched about the price but bought one anyway and claiming commission.

Dod Colony

Sep 28, 2020
Scotland

Only just got my expert so reading that other thread's made me feel bad enough - but this is really putting the boot in Rob!:cry:

TBF the 2021 kicked off at £7750 before they sneaked in a shady £750 mid season price hike so, assuming they stick with that tactic, the 22 will probably be nearer £9500 by the time we can actually buy one?

Last edited:

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA

You've leaving out the part where they raised prices 20% just before the launch. Stop cheating! :)

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
they may well release ally framed comp's in the future... hold tight!!!
as for me, I have been wondering what was coming and what to do with my existing levo comp.. im not getting a gen 3 so ill either upgrade the comp's suspension and ride it into the ground or the scott ransom 920 is calling to me..

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Doom’s spent almost as much time in the new Levo forum as you have Zim. He may have the same disease.
I like watching all the dentists justify spending the cost of a good motorbike on a bicycle.

My particular favourite right now is the "it's only 500 quid more than last year's S-Works" which implies that last year's bike wasn't massively overpriced at £12.5K... :ROFLMAO:

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
I like watching all the dentists justify spending the cost of a good motorbike on a bicycle.

My particular favourite right now is the "it's only 500 quid more than last year's S-Works" which implies that last year's bike wasn't massively overpriced at £12.5K... :ROFLMAO:
Funny thing is, if you can afford this bike I don’t think money is really an issue let alone justifying it. Good for them.

I think it’s too much money but hey they see an opportunity to make money, so why not.
Wouldn’t you?

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
So ,,, after 12 months when a new model is released the previous year model is worthless ?
I would start to think that after reading these threads . The thing is if that`s retail price the 2nd hand price is a percentage of that . Buy high , sell high . By low , sell low .

Or lease ?

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
So ,,, after 12 months when a new model is released the previous year model is worthless ?
I would start to think that after reading these threads . The thing is if that`s retail price the 2nd hand price is a percentage of that . Buy high , sell high . By low , sell low .

Or lease ?

I like buy low sell high, but usually end up buying high selling low ?‍♂️

Harold

Oct 30, 2020
Brussels
Personally, I don't like the adjustable suspension, it makes it too hard to setup the bike. Why can't they just make it right in the first place ? :unsure:

And I don't like that it looks completely different to the last one but not different enough but at the same time too different.

I don't like the new TCU either. It's erm ... Too small, but also gets in your face too much. I don't like that you can configure it how ever you like it either - why would they do that. It'll be duct tape over the screen for me, I wonder If you can put the old one on.

I don't like the colours either, even though I'm colour blind ..

I really really don't like that they've paid so much attention to waterproofing things either. All these plugs and door things, why can't it just have a couple of nice sticky out nipples on the top tube you attach jump leads too ?
Sarcasm has a limit I think. We get it you love that gen3. It is OK ;)

SwissChess

Aug 6, 2020
Switzerland
Personally, I don't like the adjustable suspension, it makes it too hard to setup the bike. Why can't they just make it right in the first place ? :unsure:

And I don't like that it looks completely different to the last one but not different enough but at the same time too different.

I don't like the new TCU either. It's erm ... Too small, but also gets in your face too much. I don't like that you can configure it how ever you like it either - why would they do that. It'll be duct tape over the screen for me, I wonder If you can put the old one on.

I don't like the colours either, even though I'm colour blind ..

I really really don't like that they've paid so much attention to waterproofing things either. All these plugs and door things, why can't it just have a couple of nice sticky out nipples on the top tube you attach jump leads too ?

So you don't think it's okay to pay $ 11,000 for waterproofed
motor.

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
Well, I can afford the SWorks Levo, so I'm staying the feck away from any bike shop with maybe a 5km safety radius...... I may email them all and tell them to ban me from shopping with them. It does help that the e160 Merida I just bought is bike of the year according to zee Germans..... :)

Gordon

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
Well, I can afford the SWorks Levo, so I'm staying the fuck away from any bike shop with maybe a 5km safety radius...... I may email them all and tell them to ban me from shopping with them. It does help that the e160 Merida I just bought is bike of the year according to zee Germans..... :)

Gordon

I've got a safety mechanism in place to prevent me at any cost buying a second ebike, it far outweighs shop bans, cash flow, anything. It's a good one - its called THE WIFE! ?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I'll put this in here rather than clutter the official thread ...

I know price keeps jumping around. Yes, It's expensive .... But if you compare, it's not like they're just being suddenly crazy. The prices are inline with other s-works bikes - which have always been expensive. A guy I ride with has an "old" S-Works enduro, must be at least 6 years old but is still the fastest bike around here. I think that was about £8000 new.

Lets take the 22 Frameset, data stolen from a Rob post :

£6500

The frame comes with:
  • Float X2 shock and
  • CRANK SET, PRAXIX,
  • 160MM CARBON ARMS ,
  • BCD 104MM SPIDER,
  • AND A SRAM CR EAGLE 34T CHAINRING
Compare that to an Epic Frame set :

epic frame.png

No cranks,motor,battery and I can't help but think theres massively more development goes into the "E" versions.

Or some other none EMTB S-Works bikes .

new enduro.png

new epic.png

I think they make the new Gen3 S-Works look like a comparative bargain !

Still keep finding some really expensive ones out there though ...

Expensive enduro.png

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
I'll put this in here rather than clutter the official thread ...

I know price keeps jumping around. Yes, It's expensive .... But if you compare, it's not like they're just being suddenly crazy. The prices are inline with other s-works bikes - which have always been expensive. A guy I ride with has an "old" S-Works enduro, must be at least 6 years old but is still the fastest bike around here. I think that was about £8000 new.

Lets take the 22 Frameset, data stolen from a Rob post :

£6500

The frame comes with:
  • Float X2 shock and
  • CRANK SET, PRAXIX,
  • 160MM CARBON ARMS ,
  • BCD 104MM SPIDER,
  • AND A SRAM CR EAGLE 34T CHAINRING

Does anyone know how much a 22 frameset is? ?

Sorry couldn't resist

smtkelly

Feb 13, 2020
ldn
I understand why bikes cost more than say motorcycles. But I'd have a hard time struggling to justify to myself dropping that kind of money on something which intended use is off road with associated risks, theft and current quick product life cycle. The premium doesn't seem to equal performance gains or any game changing innovation (most of it looks like trinkets/software/marketing). Seems they are slightly behind Santa Cruz warranty, the top of the line bike doesn't seem to get any special after-care provision so no hidden value there.

To part with premium money I'd be looking for innovation (e-suspension/rapid charging/big motor updates) or peace of mind ie bullet proof hassle free ownership with something like a 90% service guarantee (Bike breaks no problem they'll give/24hr ship you a loaner while they fix yours). That sounds silly but for that price they are competing with owning a good emtb plus a back up emtb which on a week long mtb holiday gives peace of mind.

I think their strategy is to charge premium prices to add a halo effect to their brand. It offers car park bragging rights to their customers and free publicity through pricing controversy. They make nice bikes (personally not a fan of the carp motor bulge) they have many branded stores in their favour. But I think they are over reaching on pricing considering santa cruz looks good value in comparison (which is where my money would go). They risk making themselves look like poor value for money if they can't demonstrate to customers any clear advantages. As the case with mobile phone plateauing more an more people are skipping a generation or two.

Final thoughts if they can get away with charging what they do then good for them, but it'll problably have knock on price creep in the rest of the market boo for us.

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent
The 9.9 rail isn’t cheap either is it....

But people compare different spec / models etc.

Flagship for flagship isn’t miles more when you look at the £11k Santa Cruz etc etc

yes the s works is that but more. Not double the price like everyone making it out to be.

8F2D4461-B8E6-4B69-A867-B0EB84CE4705.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles