Hybridizer Sann Bafang M500 series Aluminum FS

Mabman

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
This bike was posted in the Frey Dopamine thread by @Cit and is a similar design but with some substantial differences? Link to the Pinkbike article about it that has more info than their website: Hybridizer Announces Its First Bike eMTB Frame, SANN - Pinkbike

Hybridizer.png

It is an idler design which is the same but if you compare the two frames they are different. Most notably the battery (720wh) is a bottom loader and that filled in area at the seattube junction is a SWAG box. Not sure if the rear dropouts are UHD but as they are modular certainly wouldn't be hard to do so.

The SANN company seems to consist of a couple of young engineers and they are bringing this forth as their first effort. Gives me a bit of hope that they will be a little more willing to work with customers that already have their own bits? The frame/electronics market such as DengFu caters to is popular and as time goes on I see it getting more so perhaps? There are so many component options these days, including the ones in your shed, that it just makes sense for someone to add to that market.

Taking my case as a for instance because I have decided I can't live without the SRAM T-Type and have specific wheelset in mind and both not available from the "manufacturer" bikes getting a frame/electronics package makes the most sense so as to not have to pass on parts I don't want via the different market places which is a royal PITA. Suspension bits are easily sourced as well as all the other components. I guess years of building custom bikes has spoiled me for the process.

The one thing that still concerns me is the chain wrap on the chain ring. I like the way that Rocky Mtn. deals with it:

Screenshot 2023-05-19 at 6.53.19 AM.png

It looks like it is just a bash guard that mounts to the bb with a roller on the back and something like it would be easy to retro to the above? Nice to have a bash guard as well.

SANN is showcasing a 720wh Carbon Fiber "battery" which I imagine is referring to the case. Unclear yet as to what cell they are using? I passed on what was available to my battery contact at DT battery and it wasn't familiar with him and he is going to check into it.

Reactions: Cit

Tomblarom

Feb 3, 2021
Germany
Hey @Mabman, have you bought one? They seem to only ship to US and UK. I'm currently trying to convince them to ship to Europe..

1695892691242.png

1695892717093.png

1695892733929.png

Their website is very informative: HYBRIDIZER High-Pivot design, M500/M600-bracket and modern geometry with adjustable parts. I don't understand why this bike isn't becoming more popular amongst emtb enthusiasts? Even Rob reviewed it recently:
Here is their YouTube-Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@Hybridizer/videos

Am I missing out something?

Tomblarom

Feb 3, 2021
Germany
A month ago I ordered the frameset with M510 and 720Wh battery. I made the 300$ deposit and it will be shipped by end of November. Today I received the info, that all orders of Hybridizer frameset or full-bike will receive a free "X fusion H3C" (FREEH3C) rear shock.

For DDP shipping to Europe, you can contact Chili Shen.

To make an order either contact [email protected] or place a 300$ deposit on their website. Use the keyword FREEH3C, to get the additional shock (paste it in "additional comments" or tell Ezio): https://hybridizer.com/product_details?lang=en

1699956550006.png

Last edited:

Mabman

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
I never followed through and my lust for the SRAM transmission faded as I found a suitable option that was much cheaper but will be interested in how your order turns out?

D'Apostrophe

Nov 8, 2023
California
I just ordered mine and spoke with Ezio, they will be shipping soon.
They are still running the rear shock promotion into December (From my own shameless self-promotion) use the referral code "DBH3C".
As Tomblarom mentions, just add it into the additional comments if you're interested.

Last edited:

Tomblarom

Feb 3, 2021
Germany
Have you got your shipping/tracking information yet?
I wanted shipping as DDP (tax paid in advance) and Chili Shen from Fieldebikes agreed to forward it. Hybridizer and Fieldebikes are both located in Guangzhou, so Hybridizer did not charge extra 30$ for shipping locally. I await my to be shipped soon. Since Ezio left them, his colleague Zhiwei contacted me and asked if I want some of the newly arrived parts: Enhanced Chainglider and 160mm Hybridizer cranks (BFG-splint). He did not say if they would cost extra. I told him, that I'd take them, if they are free, because I don't want to wait any longer! 🙄

image.png
image (1).png

D'Apostrophe

Nov 8, 2023
California
I wanted shipping as DDP (tax paid in advance) and Chili Shen from Fieldebikes agreed to forward it. Hybridizer and Fieldebikes are both located in Guangzhou, so Hybridizer did not charge extra 30$ for shipping locally. I await my to be shipped soon. Since Ezio left them, his colleague Zhiwei contacted me and asked if I want some of the newly arrived parts: Enhanced Chainglider and 160mm Hybridizer cranks (BFG-splint). He did not say if they would cost extra. I told him, that I'd take them, if they are free, because I don't want to wait any longer! 🙄

View attachment 131898 View attachment 131900
Oh, interesting. I've been talking to Zhiwei as well, but I didn't hear anything about the new Chainglider. Ezio did mention that the cranks to me though.
I'm in the USA, I'd rather not wait any longer as well. I hope yours arrives soon.

EFEEVO

Jan 8, 2024
Slovenija
When did you order the frame, and have they already shipped it to you? Can you track the shipment?
I ordered mine in the EU just before New Year, but the frame hasn't been sent yet.

Tomblarom

Feb 3, 2021
Germany
does anyone know the weight of the frame? size L
no, but here is the manual. Actually the weight of the frame is not in there.

Geometry
1704824199940.png

1704823973647.png

1704824226204.png

Technical Details
1704824070827.png
1704824123125.png

Cable Routing:
1704824290177.png

See attached PDF!

Attachments

• Manual HYBRIDIZER SANN en 20231009.pdf
    4.3 MB · Views: 104

Tomblarom

Feb 3, 2021
Germany
Battery
1704878035619.png

According to their promo-video (https://bike-heifeng.oss-cn-hangzhou.aliyuncs.com/pc/Yeti_SB160E_04_Web.mp4), the internal battery looks like this and is a 13S3P. We know that they use 21700 cells and the battery has 720Wh, wherefore it must be a 5Ah 21700 cell, like 50G (10A), 50S (35A), 50E (10A)...

The Bafang M510 has around 672W (48V*14A) peak, so one cells must be capable of at least ~4.7A (14A/3P) discharge current. The M560 has 1440W (48V*30A) peak, so one cells must be capable of at least ~10A (30A/3P) discharge current, to suffciently power the motor.

Tomblarom

Feb 3, 2021
Germany
Looks like Hybridizer is launching a new gravel bike called the Rando soon.
Yes saw that 2 weeks ago, but actually I think it's not that big deal. Gravel people (especially road racing) aren't that into ebike motors. And M820 has no advantage over any normal branded motors like bosch, shimano, ... The only reason I chose Bafang is because of the availability of spare parts and high-power controllers. Other than that, Bafang controllers are trash, in comparison.

Cool! I got a UPS tracking number, from Hungary onwards.

Tomblarom

Feb 3, 2021
Germany
So my 2x batteries arrived this week (still waiting for the frame to be released by customs 😪) and I'm finally able to take a closer look at them. My ultimate goal is to make them 52V and I'm very determined to do this 😉 Things I've noticed so far:

They waterproofed using glueing the endcaps in with silicone 😐 This means it's not a very friendly repair, if it's needed one day.. The screws were tighend kinda loosly and torx would have been a better fitting screw for a battery enclosure. (Hex tends to strip when it got rusty..)

2024-02-01-21-34-44-940.jpg
2024-02-01-21-36-28-034.jpg

The cover that goes on the charging port is black rubber and the button underneath is pressable, when it's closed. However the LED is not visible through the rubber, which is unfortunate.. Can't tell whether this is important during normal use.. The connector that's connecting to the motor, inside the frame is a HIGO Z718AM C 03 GH 0300. (I suppose it's original or a very well-made copy). Only 4 pins are used for B+, B-, CAN-H and CAN-L.

2024-02-01-21-34-24-388.jpg
2024-02-01-21-33-46-426.jpg

The manufacturer of the battery is nitecore (SYSMAX Power Technology), a very reputable and esthablished battery and flashlight manufacturer. The overall quality is decent, however, I hadn't had a look inside yet 😉

2024-02-01-21-33-40-887.jpg

Last edited:

Tomblarom

Feb 3, 2021
Germany
SANN is showcasing a 720wh Carbon Fiber "battery" which I imagine is referring to the case. Unclear yet as to what cell they are using? I passed on what was available to my battery contact at DT battery and it wasn't familiar with him and he is going to check into it.

The cells are from NITECORE and labeled as BIB2150. Best guess from Mooch over here, was that they are rewrapped. I contacted them, to get a datasheet and some info about their max discharge.

2024-02-01-22-46-26-078.jpg

D'Apostrophe

Nov 8, 2023
California
Do you paid customs @D'Apostrophe? And how heavy is the frame itself, without the battery?
No customs. I've never had to pay on anything aside from the sellers shipping fee from China direct. (Alibaba, greenbike kit etc.)

The weight for the front triangle without motor is 3.4 kg (7.6 lbs).
I can't weigh the swing arm at the moment because it's undergoing a custom paint job.
One annoying thing is that the motor has to be removed to take out the battery. Also, if your bottle cage screws are too long they will impact the battery case.
Be aware that there's no, or very little grease on the swing arm pivots.

Last edited:

Tomblarom

Feb 3, 2021
Germany
I discovered something very sketchy and untypical for Bafang. Hybridizer forces to activate the ebike, by downloading their chinese app. If you swap the battery, change the display or the motor, it will be deactivated again. This is super annoying when having multiple batteries or wanting to switch to M560!

What's even the purpose of this app? Gathering userdata for free? I see no advantage in using this app.

1707208641880.png

Last edited:

D'Apostrophe

Nov 8, 2023
California
I was hoping the app would have similar capabilities to the one Specialized has like tuning the power characteristics. So far it definitely falls into the useless category of apps.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles