Hub motor on a DH-freeride bike?

Telewacker

Sep 19, 2021
Concord CA
I have a Canfield The One that is incompatible with a mid drive conversion but I was wondering about the feasability of adding a hub motor and battery. Has anyone done this on this or a similar bike?

thaeber

Jan 26, 2021
Bruchsal, Germany
Dont do it. The hub motor is very heavy, and the unsuspended mass of the rear wheel is very high. The rear suspension will not work really well. IMHO.

apac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
I have a Canfield The One that is incompatible with a mid drive conversion but I was wondering about the feasability of adding a hub motor and battery. Has anyone done this on this or a similar bike?
If you do decided to do it, make sure it's a direct drive motor (no moving parts inside) and not a geared motor, which will have nylon gears that can get stripped easily on hard torque or landings. A rear wheel motor will also act as an anchor, so when you try and get air make sure you transfer your body weight over the handle bars and front of the bike to try and balance the bike. Otherwise your front end will take off and your rear will stay put and it could end badly. This of course is magnified by how heavy a motor you have.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles