HT Components ANS10 Pedal Pins

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
This day would surely come. I tried to prepare, but I couldn't find any legit pedal pin kits. Ebay has some cobbled-together kits that offer some of the pins, but are missing the others. Other kits don't come with washers. None are stainless.

A couple days ago I rode a particularly epic trail that is both crazy-long and outrageously rocky. My unbridled zeal resulted in one broken and one bent pin. The pressure was on. Damaged bike parts are like sand in my shorts, so it had to be fixed right away.

In measuring everything out, I discovered that HT chose to use custom fasteners with both SAE and metric characteristics. I'm not kidding. Maybe it was a feeble attempt to become the sole source for replacement parts, but I couldn't find factory replacement parts anyway. Luckily, we can get domestically made stainless steel screws for cheaper than the bags of soft steel imports. The industrial supplier that has the U.S. market covered is McMaster-Carr. I'll include part number, and the price that I paid today.

The factory Allen cap screws on the pedals are 5-40. The length is 0.395". That's 0.020" longer than the 3/8" that are readily available, and that's not much. If it bothers you, you can buy new washers, which are thinner, and everything will be just perfect. Today I used 7/16" screws, and then ground them down with a Dremel after they were installed. Screws are cheap enough that I got a box of each length.

The set screw pins are 8-36, and are stepped down to a smaller diameter. Stepped set screws are very expensive, so I'm just going with a straight #8. The original length of these screws on the pedals is 0.316". I went with 3/8", and will leave them at that length because these screws sit a little low anyway. If I change my mind, grinding them down with a Dremel will take mere minutes.

I also got a bag of washers because they're cheap, and I'd rather pay now and have them gather dust, than have the bike out of service for lack of parts. Here are the part numbers:

18-8 Stainless Allen screw, 5-40 thread, 3/8" long, 50 pieces, $2.94. Part number 92196A126
18-8 Stainless Allen screw, 5-40 thread, 7/16" long, 50 pieces, $4.20. Part number 92196A127
18-8 Stainless washer for M3 screw, 3.2mm ID, 6mm OD, 100 pieces, $2.71. Part number 98689A112
18-8 Stainless cup point set screw, 8-36 thread, 3/8" long, 50 pieces, $9.09. Part number 92311A298

The EMF

🔱 Aquaman 🔱
Subscriber
Nov 4, 2020
South East Northumberland
Now there’s a coincidence……I’ve just been down the same pin replacement road which led me to Sussed Out Suspension, they have genuine HT component pin replacement packs of 40 for £3.99 plus £5 postage 😵‍💫

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
That's a smokin' deal.
For me, I now have enough screws to last the life of the pedals. I just posted the data for anyone else who might find themselves in the same boat. Oddly, HT Components doesn't even show a pin kit on their web page. Perhaps I was a little too hasty before buying these pedals.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles