How this service centre cleans a bosch motor???

Ark

Mar 8, 2023
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Skip to 9:30 for those who don't want to watch the full vid.

Thoughts?

we are told to be careful with them and this guy is sticking it in a sink like he's washing up after a family meal :eek:

They are a lot more water resistant than some service centres would have us believe? No idea what that liquid was though could be something a bit more viscous than water and less likely to penetrate?

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
Im watching that right now and was wincing at that part for sure.
He goes into some detail though with the service. Impressed by that.

Reactions: Ark

Ark

Mar 8, 2023
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Im watching that right now and was wincing at that part for sure.
He goes into some detail though with the service. Impressed by that.
The video never shows him check the crank seals on the motor either, or it skips past it so quick I didn't notice.

I'm sure he knows what hes doing, just seems odd to me.

EDIT:
He sprays Peatys polish all over the frame and doesn't protect the rotors

it's making me think washing the motor like that was really dumb.
Someone asked in the comments and the guy claims the motor will get wetter if you ride in the rain, which I doubt very much, and the rain doesn't contain any degreasing agent that no doubt washes away grease.

Last edited:

Funkeydunk

Subscriber
May 28, 2019
Uk
Looks like. rozone parts washer, which used a biodegradable degreaser. Not sure I’d wash a motor in that, I may spray it with muck off and dry it well after a good brushing. TBH I wouldn't take it out unless I really needed to. But he was modifying the cable routing and replacing the dropper cable so removing the motor was a good move. He mentioned some services can cost £1000, when you add bearing cassettes and chainrings. But I’d expect lover like treatment for a grand.

Ark

Mar 8, 2023
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Looks like. rozone parts washer, which used a biodegradable degreaser. Not sure I’d wash a motor in that, I may spray it with muck off and dry it well after a good brushing. TBH I wouldn't take it out unless I really needed to. But he was modifying the cable routing and replacing the dropper cable so removing the motor was a good move. He mentioned some services can cost £1000, when you add bearing cassettes and chainrings. But I’d expect lover like treatment for a grand.
I'm sure he said that service in the video was £800 in the comments.

Which seems insane to me, 160 for a full service here, 195 if it includes brake bleeds.
obviously that doesn't include parts and doesn't include a suspension service, they offer it as a seperate service but don't list prices.

seems on that bike they did an air can service on the rear and lower leg service on the front

probably about 120+120 going off tftuned website

so he went through like 400 in parts? seems kinda high.

maybe some places try and charge a premium because its an ebike, but in reality its quicker to drop a motor than it is to change/lube a bottom bracket

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I would assume the parts washer uses a non-water based degreaser judging by the colour of it, unless he's from Springfield...
Season 7 Episode 24 GIF by The Simpsons

After washing everything did he regrease the pedals?

I would grudgingly say that £300 labour when it includes shock and fork service isn't terrible but make me glad I can do it all myself.

Apr 15, 2023
Austria
From my perspective, as a technician who's doing eBike motor repairs on a daily basis for living: That motor wash was very hard to watch...
That "service" should be more expensive, when you calculate the costs for a new motor 😬

E-MAD MALC

Subscriber
Nov 16, 2021
EAST SUSSEX
The video never shows him check the crank seals on the motor either, or it skips past it so quick I didn't notice.

I'm sure he knows what hes doing, just seems odd to me.

EDIT:
He sprays Peatys polish all over the frame and doesn't protect the rotors

it's making me think washing the motor like that was really dumb.
Someone asked in the comments and the guy claims the motor will get wetter if you ride in the rain, which I doubt very much, and the rain doesn't contain any degreasing agent that no doubt washes away grease.
He was pretty refined with the rest of the bike, But he needs to brush up on his detail to servicing motors for sure :unsure:

Ark

Mar 8, 2023
Newcastle Upon Tyne
I would assume the parts washer uses a non-water based degreaser judging by the colour of it, unless he's from Springfield...
he said what it was in the comments, but I can't remember the name something like ryzome washer.
he says its a biodegradable degreaser.
so surely worse than water when we know the motors are only water proofed because of a layer of grease

I'm convinced that motor dies soon, the rider claims they never rode in the wet :ROFLMAO:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles