How many motors have you blown? 2019 levo only

Choc3

Apr 10, 2020
Scotland
New motor installed and running smoothly. Hope this one last longer.

The whole warranty process went smooth taken 8 working days.

Murch

Aug 9, 2019
United States
Had my 4th motor installed last week, the 3rd failed one was making a very loud popping noise when I would put in over 600watts of my own power.

Choc3

Apr 10, 2020
Scotland
Not so good Adam I got a year 2600 miles hopefully the new one at least same . It's quieter till you climb steeply then hard to say after that new one is a 20/4 /20 build so ????
Mine blew 580 miles. My new motor serial number/build is 20-04-20.

Murch could you share your new motor serial number.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Had my 4th motor installed last week, the 3rd failed one was making a very loud popping noise when I would put in over 600watts of my own power.
4 motors that's scary that , i wouldn't be going to a lot of places I go for fear of the long walk out ?. But maybe you've done 10,000 miles.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
The 3 motors lasted on avg 500 miles
Terrible that .You would think Spesh would have put out a statement of some sort. This site rates Levos as ebike of the year for past few years yet no mention of any faults in the pros and cons bit. Or are there really tens of thousands out there with trouble free motors ????

gaba

Dec 31, 2018
California
On my 4th motor. Friend is on his 3rd. 4 other friends on their second. >70% failure rate in first year amongst our local group.

Dpickin1

Oct 2, 2019
Israel
SADLY just joined the club. 2020 kenevo with around 750km started squealing towards the end of a steep long hot uphill. Was in turbo and a low gear so....... Local dealer will take care of it in a few days but still a little disappointed. I love this bike and the motor has been unbelievable until it wasn't.

Bmwgsboy

Aug 26, 2019
USA
I was told the same, there is some announcement coming out very soon along with a motor firmware update
I almost pulled the trigger on a use 2020 expert, it would have saved be $1000 bucks after paying to pack it and shipping, glaxx dc I follow the Berkshire on FB were I saw the news. For another 1k I can get a brand new one and updated Moyer with a 4year warranty( that’s a no brainer). Spesh marketing department are clever, the way I look at it it would be crazy buying a use bike to save a couple grand without any warranty and a motor that has been proven bad.

Bmwgsboy

Aug 26, 2019
USA
I almost pulled the trigger on a used 2020 expert, it would have saved me a $1000 bucks after paying to pack it and shipping, I would have saved 1k glad I follow the Berkshire cycles on FB were I saw the news. For another 1k I can get a brand new one and updated Motor with a 4year warranty( that’s a no brainer). Spesh marketing department are clever, the way I look at it it would be crazy buying a use bike to save a couple grand without any warranty and a motor that has been proven bad.

J200George

Jun 14, 2020
Glasgow United Kingdom
Someone on the Facebook owners pages are suggesting that their lbs informed them that specialized are starting a recall on all affected bikes.... sounds promising if true.

No doubt more informed posters will confirm or deny.

3B0686D1-C0B3-44B6-B3C6-584E8400977B.jpeg

Grugged

Apr 12, 2020
Oslo, Norway
I am five weeks in and have still heard nothing after blowing my motor. Written to Specialized after bike shop had no answer after three weeks. I have had no reply either. Live in Norway - where there is so Specialized importer or distributor, although they do have concept shops. I won’t be buying another Specialized e-bike after this completely lackluster customer service on a know problem

levonz

Jul 30, 2020
New Zealand
I am new here, I'm a first time Levo owner of 4 weeks and I already a blown motor - 160 miles.

Today, my local bike shop informed me that all 2019 and 2020 Levo and Kenevo bike worldwide are to be recalled, software updated and the warranty will be extend to 4 years from date of purchased.

You will be informed through you mission control app when you connect your bike and that you need to contact you local bike shop for an upgrade. I understand it's just software and not a motor upgrade.

I also found this on FB that I have posted around that confirms the LBS is correct. Certainly peace of mind!

116281628_10222931447545111_8609136710321500340_o.jpg

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I am five weeks in and have still heard nothing after blowing my motor. Written to Specialized after bike shop had no answer after three weeks. I have had no reply either. Live in Norway - where there is so Specialized importer or distributor, although they do have concept shops. I won’t be buying another Specialized e-bike after this completely lackluster customer service on a know problem
Phone them maybe.

Grugged

Apr 12, 2020
Oslo, Norway
Phone them maybe.

first time I rang them i spent an hour on hour without even getting through for the specified number for the Nordics. I ended up ringing Specialized Europe’s office and they had to email the relevant person asking them to ring me. Have tried the original number a couple of times but you just get put on hold without talking to a person. So it’s a headache just trying to get in touch. Just shit that as a customer for a product with a known problem (which looks like it has now led to a recall) that I have to spend hours following them up to provide basic customer service. I’m out Specialized!

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
first time I rang them i spent an hour on hour without even getting through for the specified number for the Nordics. I ended up ringing Specialized Europe’s office and they had to email the relevant person asking them to ring me. Have tried the original number a couple of times but you just get put on hold without talking to a person. So it’s a headache just trying to get in touch. Just shit that as a customer for a product with a known problem (which looks like it has now led to a recall) that I have to spend hours following them up to provide basic customer service. I’m out Specialized!
You would think that you could shame them in to sorting it out but obviously not . I would be raging.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I am new here, I'm a first time Levo owner of 4 weeks and I already a blown motor - 160 miles.

Today, my local bike shop informed me that all 2019 and 2020 Levo and Kenevo bike worldwide are to be recalled, software updated and the warranty will be extend to 4 years from date of purchased.

You will be informed through you mission control app when you connect your bike and that you need to contact you local bike shop for an upgrade. I understand it's just software and not a motor upgrade.

I also found this on FB that I have posted around that confirms the LBS is correct. Certainly peace of mind!

View attachment 36950
My app telling me contact dealer re firmware update.

Blebo19

Dec 1, 2019
Italy
This message is supposed to be from Specialized

Official release Specialized Bicycle Components Italia S.r.l.
Milan, 29/07/2020

The best repair for a bicycle is not needing it: New Guarantee extension and Firmware update for all Levo FSR 2019/20 and Kenevo 2020 models.

For every cyclist, the best thing is not to need any intervention on their bike: this is our goal. If one of our bikes abandoned your riders, who counted on us, it doesn't fit so we'll fix things. Period.

Our job is to make bikes that offer cyclists absolutely the best in terms of performance and reliability. Specialized Turbo Levo and Turbo Kenevo have kept this promise with hundreds of thousands of cyclists along millions of km around the world. Innovation in Specialized will never stop. When we find a way to improve a bike, we do it as soon as possible. We constantly make dozens of small improvements to our bikes and apps, and this allows us to offer cyclists the best, often before it's available elsewhere.

Some time ago, we noticed a reduced but unacceptable number of technical failures, which affected some engines that equipped Levo 2019/20 and Kenevo 2020. beforehand.

Since that time, we have been working tirelessly on a series of improvements that eliminate any kind of problem. Among these were interventions to reduce noise, mount more resistant straps, modify free wheel assembly and introduce additional optimizations aimed at improving robustness and overall reliability.

All these improvements to components affected engines mounted on Levo and Kenevo's 2021 models. To ensure the serenity of all cyclists, we have extended from 2 to 4 years the warranty on the engines of Levo FSR 2019/2020 and Kenevo 2020. models. This guarantee starts from the purchase date, and is transferable (with the relative first purchase test) in case a cyclist decides to sell his bike.

Recently, we have also detected a baco in the firmware 2.1 of the engines of the models on indicated, possible due to problems affecting the transmission belt. Following an update to Turbo Studio, released on July 23, we will release a new version of the engine firmware (scheduled from July 28) that improves the reliability of the belt without compromising power or performance, so update will be required of engine firmware as soon as possible.

From July 31th we will activate through our social media channels to inform our riders about this new firmware, its benefits and the connected extension of warranty. Our goal is to avoid excessive crowding in stores, so we plan to send such communications to customers, initially through Mission Control and later by email. Don't hesitate to contact Rider Care for any clarification that may be necessary in the meantime.
Thank you for your constant support and dedication.

Mike Sinyard – Founder and CEO

©️

2020. Specialized Bicycle Components Italia S.r.l

Last edited:

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
This message is supposed to be from Specialized

Official release Specialized Bicycle Components Italia S.r.l.
Milan, 29/07/2020

The best repair for a bicycle is not needing it: New Guarantee extension and Firmware update for all Levo FSR 2019/20 and Kenevo 2020 models.

For every cyclist, the best thing is not to need any intervention on their bike: this is our goal. If one of our bikes abandoned your riders, who counted on us, it doesn't fit so we'll fix things. Period.

Our job is to make bikes that offer cyclists absolutely the best in terms of performance and reliability. Specialized Turbo Levo and Turbo Kenevo have kept this promise with hundreds of thousands of cyclists along millions of km around the world. Innovation in Specialized will never stop. When we find a way to improve a bike, we do it as soon as possible. We constantly make dozens of small improvements to our bikes and apps, and this allows us to offer cyclists the best, often before it's available elsewhere.

Some time ago, we noticed a reduced but unacceptable number of technical failures, which affected some engines that equipped Levo 2019/20 and Kenevo 2020. beforehand.

Since that time, we have been working tirelessly on a series of improvements that eliminate any kind of problem. Among these were interventions to reduce noise, mount more resistant straps, modify free wheel assembly and introduce additional optimizations aimed at improving robustness and overall reliability.

All these improvements to components affected engines mounted on Levo and Kenevo's 2021 models. To ensure the serenity of all cyclists, we have extended from 2 to 4 years the warranty on the engines of Levo FSR 2019/2020 and Kenevo 2020. models. This guarantee starts from the purchase date, and is transferable (with the relative first purchase test) in case a cyclist decides to sell his bike.

Recently, we have also detected a baco in the firmware 2.1 of the engines of the models on indicated, possible due to problems affecting the transmission belt. Following an update to Turbo Studio, released on July 23, we will release a new version of the engine firmware (scheduled from July 28) that improves the reliability of the belt without compromising power or performance, so update will be required of engine firmware as soon as possible.

From July 31th we will activate through our social media channels to inform our riders about this new firmware, its benefits and the connected extension of warranty. Our goal is to avoid excessive crowding in stores, so we plan to send such communications to customers, initially through Mission Control and later by email. Don't hesitate to contact Rider Care for any clarification that may be necessary in the meantime.
Thank you for your constant support and dedication.

Mike Sinyard – Founder and CEO

©️

2020. Specialized Bicycle Components Italia S.r.l
I can get updated firmware in 10 days local cost £25 as not boughtt from that shop.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles