How long do shimano twelve speed chains last on ebikes

mastakilla

Apr 25, 2020
usa
I have an XT chain on my Bosch bike that I ride exclusively in Turbo mode and have nearly two thousand miles on the chain. For some reason the chain still does not show any measurable wear with the chain tool is less than 0.5. What am I doing wrong haha? I have heard that Drive trains don't last nearly as long on ebikes although my experience Is quite the opposite.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I know this question is about Shimano chains, but it is strongly rumoured that KMC make all Shimano chains, so here goes.

I started off with a Shimano XT chain but damaged half a dozen links when I destroyed the Shimano XT mech at 375 miles (pine tree sapling sucked up). Replaced with the only 12-speed chain the trail centre bike shop had, a KMC X12 gold coloured one, very expensive! The new SLX Mech was good too.
At 1775 bike miles, after another mech smash, I replaced the gold KMC with a new KMC 12-speed chain but a cheaper grey one, not another gold one! It wouldn't run with the cassette, so I took it off and put it back in its box for later. I made up a new chain from the remnants of the first Shimano XT chain and the KMC X12 gold one. At 2096 bike miles it is still running sweetly and shifting smoothly. That KMC X12 gold/Shimano XT chain hybrid has done 1721 miles (2754 km) and still going strong. I have a new XT cassette waiting for when it all wears out.

Last edited:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
@mastakilla What sort of surface were those nearly 2000 miles? If you do a lot of commuting or on flattish clean trails than you will do really good mileages. I expect that if you are quite light then that too would contribute to less stress on the chain. Either way, you obviously have mechanical sympathy and also a good chain clean & lube regime.
I weigh about 98kg with all my kit, do not commute and most of my miles are on sandy trails. I wipe down and lube the chain before every ride. I use FinishLine Wet all year round.

maynard

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
I have an XT chain on my Bosch bike that I ride exclusively in Turbo mode and have nearly two thousand miles on the chain. For some reason the chain still does not show any measurable wear with the chain tool is less than 0.5. What am I doing wrong haha? I have heard that Drive trains don't last nearly as long on ebikes although my experience Is quite the opposite.
Interesting indeed . Tell us ur secrets.

mastakilla

Apr 25, 2020
usa
All mileage is mtb trails on super enduro scott ransom eride always turbo mode. I keep thinking I need to get a new chain but the tool shows no wear and bike shifts great. I just use white lightning clean ride every other ride and ride in the desert, its dry but dusty.

How much mileage do other people see out of these shimano 12 speed chains?

Howie145

May 13, 2020
Australia
On Focus Thron 2 12 speed SLX and SLX chain, bike paths and trails we first had around 400-500km per chain using mucoff dry and wet lubes. Also the 2 smallest gears excessively worn on my partner's bike.

New gears cogs, new chains all round and switched to Molten Speed wax. 1000 plus kms on each chain minimal wear. I also appreciate the clean and dry chains and cassettes. No more dirty oily chains.

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
Shimano XT 12 speed chain here. It’s 6 months old and done 1210km.. I just measured mine at 0.26. I weigh 105kg ride mostly in Tour+ so it should be good for another 1000km

Rubinstein

Apr 7, 2022
kent
Just replaced my xt chain after 3500km. The stock KMC lasted 1500, so ive stuck with XT.
Just dropped over the 0.5. Im 77kg, bike is 25, riding trail AM, mostly eco and tour all weathers.
I use peatys all weather lube

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
Bike is 8 months old , 3300 km, slx cassette with 1 xt and 1 slx in rotation. Chains are both around 0.3% wear

vomel

Apr 14, 2023
France
Rise M10, SLX chain, 78kg+19kg, mostly Eco, chain went to 0.5 after 500km, just replaced with XTR chain, hope this one will last longer

bazxa

Jan 18, 2022
Heathcote NSW Australia
Thron 2 . about 1700klm have worn out 2 M7100 but the xt is still serviceable. Gritty conditions , 100kg rider + 24kg bike does not help chain life, EMTB most of the time. I use 3 chains in rotation to reduce chainring & cassette wear, it seems to work. Used to get about 7 times that distance out of a chain on the road bike, same hot wax lube.

weezyphoenix

Nov 14, 2022
Melbourne, Australia
On a Focus Sam2 6.9, 27kg, im 72kg and ride mostly emtb on blue/black MTB trails with a few double blacks. Original chain (slx I think) is reading .50 at 1020km. I stopped using Muc Off and have gone back to Rock n Roll Gold. Tossing up between KMC X12 or e12. Not sure if it will be worth the extra money for ebike specific

TimC7

Ovine Assaulter
Apr 22, 2023
UK
1000km seems normal from reading this and other forums, but some seem to do much better, some worse, so makes me wonder just how accurate are the mass produced and cheap chain wear measuring tools . .

MikeB123

Dec 5, 2021
Lavina123
I just replaced my XT chain with a KMC chain. I did get around 1500 miles out of the XT chain on some very technical rides with a lot of blue and black diamond trails that have lots of variety and elevation changes. Also I used a good Ebike specific lube and cleaned my chain and cassette on a regular basis.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles