Levo Gen 2 How is walk mode supposed to work? I've never felt any assist ever

bikechiq

Nov 1, 2020
Littleton
I wonder if I am doing something wrong. I've tried light pressing the switch and then walking. I've tried holding the switch while I walk. and I've tried a long press on the switch and then walking.

I've never felt any sort of assistance ever. is there some trick or setting that I have to do to get this to work?

If it is broken, is this an easy thing to get fixed with the local bike shop?

Tim1023

Aug 25, 2020
Hamburg, Germany
I wonder if I am doing something wrong. I've tried light pressing the switch and then walking. I've tried holding the switch while I walk. and I've tried a long press on the switch and then walking.

I've never felt any sort of assistance ever. is there some trick or setting that I have to do to get this to work?

If it is broken, is this an easy thing to get fixed with the local bike shop?
I've also had problems. Apparently you're supposed to hold the button for a few seconds before it kicks in. Then, if you let go, you have to wait a few seconds again. Not tested it yet, though.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I don't ride a Speccy, but in common with most riders, by the time you get to need "walk mode" you are already in the biggest gear at the back. So when you activate walk mode the bike moves very slowly.
Therefore change to a smaller gear before activating walk mode.

salko

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 29, 2019
SLO
Lift the rear wheel up an press & hold the walk button, is the rear wheel spinning or not (even very slowly)?

Last edited:

salko

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 29, 2019
SLO
Now try this same thing with wheel down and slowly push the bike so that wheel will make about 2-3 wheel revolutions (while still holding walk button), does now walk assist kicks in properly?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I just tried this and it did roll very slowly. I guess it is working?

When it feels weight. Does it roll quicker?
Now try this same thing with wheel down and slowly push the bike so that wheel will make about 2-3 wheel revolutions (while still holding walk button), does now walk assist kicks in properly?

Remember, when you're using walk mode, as the motor is turning the chainring, so you can change gear, it will go slightly faster in a higher gear .. in theory .. though it cuts out at about 5 or 6 kph. It's also an easy way to change the gears if your in the wrong gear on the trail to get started, just walk mode it and change to the correct gear as you push the bike.

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
Do you fellows commenting on the Levo walk mode own a Levo ?

I can tell you BOSCH walk mode is useful . Specialized Levo walk mode is useless . A snail moves faster .

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
Do you fellows commenting on the Levo walk mode own a Levo ?

I can tell you BOSCH walk mode is useful . Specialized Levo walk mode is useless . A snail moves faster .
I've owned a 2019 Levo from new. I have not "upgraded" (can we bin that term when referring to software/firmware revisions?) to the latest firmware. If I'm a few cogs away from the largest on the cassette, I have trouble keeping up with the bike if I need walk mode to climb back to the trail after an off down a steep bank (steep, tight hairpins are my nemesis!). Engagement is a bit unpredictable, but when it kicks in, it's more than fast enough. I'm not doubting the latest firmware broke walk mode, which his why I'm avoiding it.

Swissrider

Nov 1, 2018
Switzerland
I have a 2018 Kenevo and Levo. When I first got the Kenevo the walk mode did not work. It was a faulty mode switch. I got the shop to send another one and changed it myself, which was straightforward. I strongly suspect that is the problem with yours. I find it sometimes takes a while for walk mode to start ( apparently, the magnet has to pass the speed sensor, which can be one wheel revolution), and then it starts very slowly and after a few metres it speeds right up to the 6 kph limit which can be hard to keep up with! I disagree with point above about the speed changing according to the gear you are in. The walk mode is limited by law and is governed by wheel revolutions, not by how fast the motor is going. The limit of 25kph works in the same way. However, it is true that you can change gear in walk mode which can be useful. The specialized walk mode is notoriously flacky. Mine sometimes cuts out altogether and I have to turn the motor off an on to get any power, either walking or cycling. I also agree that the Bosch walk mode works better (I have both). Where I ride (in the Alps) walk mode is absolutely essential on some rides and I wonder how aware of this manufactureras are.

rodomotion

Sep 3, 2019
Chile
did you notice that with the last firmware the bike turns on when you roll the wheels backwards? . it was corrected in a previous firmware but the bug is here again.

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
Nope, but I'm going to update soon. Someone was saying it was useless in general. I have a 2020 Levo Sworks and a 2020 SL Carbon Expert

Well that is the reason why ...

Even Specialized have acknowledged their changes have rendered the walk less than helpful .

Update is req for warranty extension ?

Binzer

Aug 6, 2020
Switzerland
I have a 2019 Levo,,, walk mode worked Perfectly until I had the firmwea update. NoW it’s like a disabled tortoise. However as mentioned on a different thread, if you lift the rear end by the saddle and let the walk mode work for about 5 revolutions then it wakes up and it’s off like a rocket.

Bumpy

Jan 1, 2020
Bristol
Walk mode was more like run mode originally, then they tweaked it with latest firmware and and it's more like sleep mode?

It's nothing that you are doing wrong, just need to wait for another firmware revision (is that better than update?) to address it.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles