Levo Gen 3 How good are the wheelsets on the cheaper Levos?

RodneyH

May 28, 2023
Orange County
recently purchased the base Levo carbon and basically replaced everything except the dropper post and headset. Will sell the rest of the parts when I have some time. I have been sort of thinking of keeping the wheelset intact and using as a back up set. I don’t expect them to be as good as my DT Swiss wheels, but anyone have any idea how good they might be? Listed below is all the info they provide. I did take apart the rear hub and it is a 3 pawl system. Looks like it could be based on the old DT Swiss 370 rear hub or some Chinese company may have just copied it. (I wasn’t able to find the front hub end caps that specialized offers to work with Fox forks, so I had a machinist I know take care of that)

Here is what is listed:

Rims

Specialized 29, hookless alloy, 30mm inner width, tubeless ready

Rear Hub
Alloy, sealed cartridge bearings, 12x148mm thru-axle, 32h

Spokes
DT Swiss Industry

Front Hub
Specialized alloy front hub disc, sealed cardridge bearings, 6-bolt, 15x110mm thru-axle, 32h

salko

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 29, 2019
SLO
Not that good really, rims are soft as a butter ... Hubs should be Formula rebranded to Specialized ... These rims are good for backup but that's about it ...

Bndit

Jul 14, 2022
Finland
I have no complaints on spesialized wheels except freehub is not valid for ebikes. I had few dent`s on back because of too low tires pressures but wheel held air and dent`s were is to straight. I use those wheels for winter riding now and have Race Face for summer. And I have original Specialized wheels on my Status, two years bike park, no problems. But I`m light guy 😀

seanallgire

Nov 21, 2022
USA
I don't know about some of the lower models, but the wheels that came on my Expert were decent. Upgraded the ratchet in the Roval-branded DT Swiss hub day 1. I noticed a little more flex than I'd like after getting used to the bike and pushing it harder. 28 light-ish weight spokes for a full-power, heavy e-MTB didn't make a lot of sense to me, so I upgraded to an Industry Nine V305/Hydra combo and the ride improved a lot.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles