How far does your 700wh battery take you?

Andy A

Patreon
Jan 13, 2019
North Yorkshire
Hi guys my wife Linda really fancies a Levo Expert with the 700wh battery she has a Haibike full suspension at present with the Bosch 500wh battery.

Unlike some of you guys she doesn't use eco but she does use the other three settings and we do off road rides in the North York moors that have a fair bit of climbing and if she manages her battery well it can do a 30 mile ride, some of this is on quiet roads as well so I wondered what sort of difference she would see do you think it would do a 40 mile ride in the moors as that's the only way she will change her bike as she just wants that peace of mind that she isn't going to run out of power, so any feedback would be great :)

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Crude estimate of range given your current performance = 700/500 x 30 = 42 miles. However the Levo is probably slightly lighter (even with that battery) than her Bosch Haibike, so it may even be 45-50 miles ridden in the same style.

However, swapping the whole bike out for 200Wh of extra capacity is a very expensive way of getting peace of mind! An extra Bosch battery and a pack to carry it in would be a lot more economical and increase range beyond that of the Levo. This thread shows you can get a lighter weight 300Wh pack pretty affordably now...

Bosch 300WH battery - EMTB Forums

Last edited:

Simon_t

Nov 18, 2018
Herne Bay, UK
Last Sunday’s ride, TL Expert, 53% left at the end, 58Km of mostly off road muddy singletrack, 751m of climbing:

Simon
FFBB565B-F460-4A2D-A203-E9A323BBA464.jpeg

Simon_t

Nov 18, 2018
Herne Bay, UK
What modes were you using during the ride?
Eco % of ride?
Trail % of ride?
Turbo % of ride?

I don’t use Mission Control to record the ride so I don’t record that, but mostly Eco, some Trail, and a couple of bursts of Turbo. At the end of the day, rider weight, age, fitness, willingness to push on the pedals, battery temperature, and the types of trail all have an effect on the range. I know I can do 60Km/1500m climbing around Afan mostly in Trail and still have plenty of battery left. And it climbs fast!

Simon

Andy A

Patreon
Jan 13, 2019
North Yorkshire
I don’t use Mission Control to record the ride so I don’t record that, but mostly Eco, some Trail, and a couple of bursts of Turbo. At the end of the day, rider weight, age, fitness, willingness to push on the pedals, battery temperature, and the types of trail all have an effect on the range. I know I can do 60Km/1500m climbing around Afan mostly in Trail and still have plenty of battery left. And it climbs fast!

Simon

Thanks Simon Linda would probably use trail as her normal mode her Haibike has 4 modes which are eco tour sport and turbo so I wonder which one of her modes is the same as your eco mode, maybe your eco mode might be her tour mode!

Andy A

Patreon
Jan 13, 2019
North Yorkshire
Right I have just checked her manual and here is each mode assistance

Eco is 50% assistance
Tour is 120%
Sport is 210%
Turbo is 300%

So what does each of your modes give you in percentage for assistance?

Last edited:

Simon_t

Nov 18, 2018
Herne Bay, UK
Every mode can be tuned to what you want. So if you are a rider who needs more assistance, you would set your Eco % higher, Trail % higher etc. But the Levo motor has more torque & power available than most, so you might find that Eco is fine. With Eco I can go up the steepest climb that I can still maintain steering on the bike! With a Levo that is a very steep hill!

Simon

Andy A

Patreon
Jan 13, 2019
North Yorkshire
Every mode can be tuned to what you want. So if you are a rider who needs more assistance, you would set your Eco % higher, Trail % higher etc. But the Levo motor has more torque & power available than most, so you might find that Eco is fine. With Eco I can go up the steepest climb that I can still maintain steering on the bike! With a Levo that is a very steep hill!

Simon

Hi Simon can you tell me what the assistance percentage levels are on the Levo out of the box so to speak just so I can compare it to Linda's bike settings that I posted above :)

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Right I have just checked her manual and here is each mode assistance

Eco is 50% assistance
Tour is 120%
Sport is 210%
Turbo is 300%

So what does each of your modes give you in percentage for assistance?
Ultimately though all these percentages don’t really mean much. Power = Volts X Amps whichever way you look at it, and given all brushless motors are of similar efficiency all the systems should give very similar duration at a given power level on the same size battery. Peak power and torque ratings aren’t really relevant.

Darcy

Nov 23, 2018
Watford
Hi guys my wife Linda really fancies a Levo Expert with the 700wh battery she has a Haibike full suspension at present with the Bosch 500wh battery.

Unlike some of you guys she doesn't use eco but she does use the other three settings and we do off road rides in the North York moors that have a fair bit of climbing and if she manages her battery well it can do a 30 mile ride, some of this is on quiet roads as well so I wondered what sort of difference she would see do you think it would do a 40 mile ride in the moors as that's the only way she will change her bike as she just wants that peace of mind that she isn't going to run out of power, so any feedback would be great :)
I get about 100km out if one charge with mostly trail and some climbing and i am a heavy rider 140kg. The most climbing i have done in a ride yet is 800m and that ride was 60km and still had 40% battery

Andy A

Patreon
Jan 13, 2019
North Yorkshire
I get about 100km out if one charge with mostly trail and some climbing and i am a heavy rider 140kg. The most climbing i have done in a ride yet is 800m and that ride was 60km and still had 40% battery

WOW that is pretty impressive Darcy on a 700wh battery, it sounds perfect for her that is a great distance and to still have about 40% left is amazing!

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
WOW that is pretty impressive Darcy on a 700wh battery, it sounds perfect for her that is a great distance and to still have about 40% left is amazing!
Hang on a minute, don't get too excited. Based on the numbers your wife must be using much, much higher assistance levels than @Darcy, and/or the terrain she is riding is significantly tougher (more climbing).

Rationale - Based on the figures at the top of this thread your wife is doing around 30 miles per charge which is equivalent to 48 km. The 700Wh battery in the Levo is 40% bigger, so at the same output levels of assistance from the motor (forget the percentage figures, they are irrelevent) in the same terrain you would expect your wife to get ~68km range, +-5%. That's a lot better (40% in fact ;)), but it's some way away from what @Darcy is getting. There is no way she will go that far unless she turns down the assistance level substantially and/or rides in flatter terrain and/or reduces her all up (bike plus rider plus riding kit) weight.

Be very careful how you discuss the latter part of that statement with her...! :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Travelly

Apr 7, 2018
Bath,UK
I have a TL expert 2019 with the 700wh battery and I rode BPW a couple of weeks ago, climbing back up to the top each time. I rode 49.7km with 1670m of climbing. I weight about 77kg all loaded up with bag etc.

It really depends on the amount of vertical you do.

Mabman

Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
While percentages seem to be the prevalent benchmark for battery performance here, Wh/mi is much more accurate and the equivalent of MPG to help determine range. It is arrived at by dividing total wh's used by the distance. In the OP's wife case:

500/30=16.66 wh/mi Pretty standard using assist levels above eco

So to achieve 40 miles:

40 x 16.66 = 666.666wh's

Don't blame me for all the 6's, it's just the way the math works.

So a 700wh battery would work, but the idea of carrying a spare 300wh battery without having to buy a whole new bike seems like the most economical plan and it can be left home reducing weight on shorter travel days.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles