How do you always have:tube, tools, and pump with your bike?

RipTide

Sep 2, 2019
California
I’m searching for options on always having a spare tube, tire levers, chain tool, spare link, and pump. What do you use on the Levo frame 2020 base FSR if it matters.
I used to use a small saddle pack. But that was before the dropper. And I used to use pump mounted to bottle cage. But the Levo frame does not fit any pump mounts I have found.
So what do you use? I’m using a camel back pack at the moment. Ideas?

Flatslide

E*POWAH Master
Jul 14, 2019
Dunedin NZ
Camelbak pack for me. I've a Giyo high volume pump and carry a multi-tool, lube, puncture repair kit, secateurs, folding pruning saw and whatever else. Water in the cage on the bike. On my Trek I used a front triangle frame pack, which was very good. Unfortunately this doesn't fit the likes of your Levo or my Rocky.

Moose

Feb 19, 2018
Cheltenham Spa
I’m searching for options on always having a spare tube, tire levers, chain tool, spare link, and pump. What do you use on the Levo frame 2020 base FSR if it matters.
I used to use a small saddle pack. But that was before the dropper. And I used to use pump mounted to bottle cage. But the Levo frame does not fit any pump mounts I have found.
This article covers a few options.
The best ways to streamline your gear and still carry the bare essentials - MBR

Supratad

Nov 13, 2019
North Yorkshire, UK

I've got a pump that fits fine and a little saddlebag mounted high up under the saddle that's clear of the dropper. Can't remember the details right now but will post up pics.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Saddle bags are only really sensible for roadbikes IMO and even then in the UK just one's with full mudguards.

On my Emtb i use a Dakine hotlaps gripper frame bag attached to the front triangle (below top tube and to the front of the frame) well out of the way of mud/water firing line.

Dakine Hot Laps Gripper Bag Black £19.00

mine carries:
2xCo2 carts (1 with the Co2 head attached)
2x superlight Maxxis tubes
multitool with all the hex/torx tools the bike needs, spoke key, screwdriver, chaintool and valve remover
2x quick links.
spare mech hanger
tyre boot, patches/vulcanising soloution/sandpaper.
money
zipties
10mm hex bit (for Alu HTII crank caps)

if you really want to carry a pump zefal doodads can be fastened to pretty much any frame tube long enough to attach a pump to.

61N%2BMMzo15L._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Zefal Doodad Pump Clip / Pair

Last edited:

Galion

Sep 20, 2019
Brazil
I take nothing, I don’t even know how to change a tube, although I always ride with friends that carry all kind of stuff. If I ever run into problems, I will invite the beers after the ride, I had been lucky, until now ?

escrs

Jun 26, 2019
UK
Everything you need can be supplied by Specialized and fit on the standard spec Levo/Kenevo

I have the multi tool in the steerer tube which has the built in chain link tool

SWAT™ Conceal Carry MTB Tool | Specialized.com

if you have the multi tool on the bottom of the bottle cage already then you can buy the chain link tool that doubles up as a stem top cap

Specialized 2018 Top Cap Chain Tool

As for carrying a spare tube, tyre levers, Co2 canisters and pump head, spare puncture patches etc.. then you need the Specialized Bandit tool, this bolts to the underside of the Levo/Kenevo's standard saddle (has two screw holes in the saddle body) and dosent foul my rear wheel under full suspension compression with the dropper post fully down

Mountain Bandit | Specialized.com

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
Everything you need can be supplied by Specialized and fit on the standard spec Levo/Kenevo

I have the multi tool in the steerer tube which has the built in chain link tool

SWAT™ Conceal Carry MTB Tool | Specialized.com

if you have the multi tool on the bottom of the bottle cage already then you can buy the chain link tool that doubles up as a stem top cap

Specialized 2018 Top Cap Chain Tool

As for carrying a spare tube, tyre levers, Co2 canisters and pump head, spare puncture patches etc.. then you need the Specialized Bandit tool, this bolts to the underside of the Levo/Kenevo's standard saddle (has two screw holes in the saddle body) and dosent foul my rear wheel under full suspension compression with the dropper post fully down

Mountain Bandit | Specialized.com
And after buying those, you start to lighten the bike by buying expensive parts :p

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Camelbak MULE for me. Brilliant bit of kit! :love:

I've still got the first one I bought about ten years ago and it refuses to wear out! It has been washed multiple times, but mostly just has the mud scrubbed off once it's dry. It doesn't seem to suffer any harm at all when I fall off, but it has saved my back from injury multiple times. The only time it suffered any damage was when I rode underneath a fallen tree. The tree was obviously still in the process of falling and was a crucial few millimetres lower than the last time and I got snagged on the stub of a sawn off branch. Once home, ten mins with a needle and thread sorted that out and it has been sound ever since. :)

Jeff H

May 19, 2019
San Jose, CA, USA
IMG_2026.jpg

Oveja Negra snack pack The large & extra large are designed to mount below the stem but this large works great turned around and strapped to the seat post on my large Levo. I also have the small but couldn't fit my iphone 11. No problem in the large. The max or other big phones might not. Maybe the XL? Other companies make these but none that I saw have the dual straps that fit perfectly above and below the seat post clamp. They only have the lower and the pack will probably flop around.

I'm using the supplied bottle cage mount for the Lezyne pump. Had to use different length screw and spacer combinations but it fits. I used to velcro strap an emergency tube in the triangle above the bottle but with cushcore inserts I think it's overkill for every ride.

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Nope, if you don't need a spare tube, warm clothes, raincoat, food, pump, a few zip ties and a map ;)
As explained. The Dakine frame bag always has 2 spare tubes, Co2 and all the tools I'm ever likely to need to cover pretty much any mechanical.
I suppose I'm lucky tho in that I never ever need a jacket or any spare warm clothes. So just dress for the conditions in the first place
Emtb rides aren't ever long/tiring enough to need food IMO. But I sometimes do carry a small snack in my pocket along with my phone. But if I did need refreshments I'll be carrying cash/card anyway.
Phone has maps (not that I'd ever need one)

Supratad

Nov 13, 2019
North Yorkshire, UK
Embarrassingly, having said the above, I can no longer remember who makes the pump. There is a graphic on it though. The seat bag is the second smallest one by Topeak. It's meant to clamp around the seatpost but you can slide it back and put the front strap up and over the seat rails in front of the seat post clamp.

IMG_7435.JPG
IMG_7438.JPG
IMG_7437.JPG
IMG_7432.JPG

That's got a 29 tube in, Park tool and a little bag of bits such as gear cable, chain link, pump adaptor, lube etc. I took that from my pack on my old Orange P7 and now as I type these very words it's just dawned on me that as the Levo is now my main bike and the P7 is a nostalgic wall hanging, I should have just taken the whole seat bag instead of buying anew.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Mostly I take nothing. Can't be bothered dragging crap around all day when usually a failure just equates to a push back to the carpark.
If I am doing a point to point that is over an hour I will take a shorty pump, no glue patches, a C02 bottle and a small multi tool with chain breaker on it, as well as a missing link. Those all go in my pockets one way or another.
If I am doing a big adventure ride I will use a camelback instead of my normal bottle so will take all of the above, plus a small medical kit, a roll of pvc tape and some zip ties.

RipTide

Sep 2, 2019
California
Embarrassingly, having said the above, I can no longer remember who makes the pump. There is a graphic on it though. The seat bag is the second smallest one by Topeak. It's meant to clamp around the seatpost but you can slide it back and put the front strap up and over the seat rails in front of the seat post clamp.

View attachment 23369 View attachment 23367 View attachment 23368 View attachment 23370

That's got a 29 tube in, Park tool and a little bag of bits such as gear cable, chain link, pump adaptor, lube etc. I took that from my pack on my old Orange P7 and now as I type these very words it's just dawned on me that as the Levo is now my main bike and the P7 is a nostalgic wall hanging, I should have just taken the whole seat bag instead of buying anew.

I like how you have the pump mounted so you can still use the bottle cage. I decide to try the Dakine Hotlaps. Mounted under top tube just above the shock mount. Will have to see if it can handle the shaking. Hotlaps is holding tube, tire levers, and chain break.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
A section of mastic tape under your hotlaps bag and the strap will help secure it to your frame way better.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
looks pretty good - except for the usual wolftooth 100% tax

a 2p sandwich bag will waterproof the contents of any other more sensibly priced bag

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
For now. Yeah. (maybe)
While your manky bag of spares scrapes the shit out of your dropper stanchion.
and buzzes your rear tyre on full compression when dropped.
sort that out FFS

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles