Levo Gen 3 how do I get these bearings outs?

Dave_B

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
I've stripped the frame ready to be dipped and paint stripped, but I can't figure out how to get these bearings out?

Looks like there two bearings each side and there is a metal tube through the bearings.

does the whole thing press out as one or do I need to remove a single bearing first?

Also can't figure out which way they press out (or does it not matter?)

2023-02-20_14-07-24.jpg

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Here’s an ambitious project. I’ve done this with a few roadies in the past. Probably much easier back then but very satisfying when done.

There’s a few different types of bearing press/removal kits available. Level of kit quality depends on whether you’re a shop or garage bike mechanic.

Some day I plan on doing this but I have a carbon frame so stripping and painting might be a challenge. I’ve had all the bearings changed once by the LBS so I didn’t see the procedure or tools used. Keep this/us posted, and take pictures. 👍🏻

Alexbn921

Sep 27, 2021
East Bay CA
You can't press out those bearings. There is an inner lip that they sit against. You need a blind puller and slide hammer or something like

And then punch them out on their sides. It's a very tight fit and takes a lot of force to bang them out.

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
I have the blind puller Alexbn921 posted and used it on the bearings the OP asked about. It worked well, but you will need to buy or make a small slide hammer. I used a long bolt, a sturdy washer, and a very heavy socket. One of the perqs of working on cars for the past 50 years is that I have tons of this kind of stuff in the garage!

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
Still not sure on the process to get these out.

The inner black tube has a centre lip, so how do you get the first bearing out? That blind puller can’t fit into the bearing because of the inner black tube.

I’ve asked my local Spesh shop to do it for me, but still, I’d like to get my head round how to do it.

970719AA-900B-4F0E-AF45-FFFA7FFDC0D7.jpeg

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Still not sure on the process to get these out.

The inner black tube has a centre lip, so how do you get the first bearing out? That blind puller can’t fit into the bearing because of the inner black tube.

I’ve asked my local Spesh shop to do it for me, but still, I’d like to get my head round how to do it.

View attachment 107254
I don’t know everything about ebikes but like you I’m slowly learning.

We have 3 LBS’s around here and most of the mechanics know me by name. I sometimes share a little knowledge with them (new products etc.) but they share a lot. Those secrets are valuable. I usually walk past the sales people and straight to the mechanic. I was shown a bearing press/puller kit by different mechanics which gave me some ideas. I don’t need the $800 kit …maybe the $150 kit might work. YouTube can be a good resource too.

Loe Rider

Oct 26, 2020
Kernow
Yep, i'd agree with Miker B on how its done Dave. Ask CMC how they did it when you pick the bike up and you can borrow my blind bearing puller and slide hammer set to give it a go yourself next time.

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
I did speak to them. Great shop and very friendly. Press out the inner sleeve which takes one bearing out with it.

rzr

Sep 26, 2022
bcn
Did you use blind puller ?
1698156261876.png

was this one enough?

or the one with a lip?
1698156307419.png

How about main pivot bearings? 6901. the same method? which tool ?

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
Did you use blind puller ?
View attachment 127533
was this one enough?

or the one with a lip?
View attachment 127534

How about main pivot bearings? 6901. the same method? which tool ?
I've just done my main 6901's. Blind puller as first picture then once it's out and the sleeve is removed you can tap the other out with a bit of rod. Or use the blind puller again.

And don't do this.

Last edited:

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Received these kits recently, have new bearings and ready to play @dobbyhasfriends bearing help video on a loop. 😉

IMG_6792.jpeg

These were under $80cdn each. The other items are soft-jaw clamps (rubber and aluminum with magnets) that fit in the bench vice.

When I do a suspension bearing overhaul on my bike again, myself, these kits will pay for themselves. They are not the highest quality but they are suitable for a garage workshop.

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
Received these kits recently, have new bearings and ready to play @dobbyhasfriends bearing help video on a loop. 😉

View attachment 127548
These were under $80cdn each. The other items are soft-jaw clamps (rubber and aluminum with magnets) that fit in the bench vice.

When I do a suspension bearing overhaul on my bike again, myself, these kits will pay for themselves. They are not the highest quality but they are suitable for a garage workshop.
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
thats fucking brilliant mate, good luck with the job, if I can help in any way at all (being totally pro now) just let me know..

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
The blind puller is the tool for that job. Buzz it on, tap out the bearing from the other side, repeat. Job done, five minutes tops.

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
I can’t remember to be honest. But I think I pressed out the black centre piece which in turn pushed out one of the bearings.

petador

Mar 13, 2024
madrid
Thanks Dave, another question. Have you been able to check the main bearings of the bike? I can not access to them either.
IMG_20240313_184517.jpg
IMG_20240314_100520.jpg

Polo1602

Jan 19, 2023
Cologne
Ok, thanks,
And only to check if the bearings are ok?
Yes. The Spacer "M" goes thru the bearing and the frame. You must drop the motor to remove the Spacer "M". Without the Spacer "M" the chainstay is free and you can access the bearings.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles