How did you pick your eMTB?

Labrador29

Jun 24, 2019
Marlborough New Zealand
Still on my 2018 Commencal Meta: Back then it was a fantastic deal at €4300 with a decent spec, I was split between the commencal and the canyon due to value, I was targetting the shimano motor as back then it was the most reliable one and the best choice for a direct sales bike which suited me fine after 2 direct sales mtbs.

Today, I am on the verge of buying a new bike, basically just waiting for my old bike to sell. One of the main considerations is still price, I am not willing to put in 2x the price of my commencal for similar equipment and riding experience. Adding to this the fact that I don't have as much time as before for fixing the bike, I want to get a bike from a local shop. Battery has to be 700wh or above.

My first two choices were again Canyon mostly due to the 900Wh battery and Specialized because of the great reviews. However the spectral would need a complete component overhaul and I am not keen to go direct sales again, that said I expect the next torque-on to be very interesting. I was sure I would go for a levo, but then I talked to some riders at an event and all of them had sold their levos due to constant motor issues. I am fairly sure I will get a future evolution of the levo when they move away from brose.

So in the end, most likely I will get a Giant Reign from my local bike shop for the following reasons:
  • Shop is a few minutes walk down the road
  • Bike will end up costing less than 6k with upgrades
  • 29er, was
  • More travel and slightly longer than my Commencal, similar weight despite much higher range.
  • Same frame as Bad-latitudes above which I find rather good looking in real life
Dollar for dollar, my 2022 Giant Trance X +1 pro 29er, was far better value that the overpriced Specialized.
Specialized are flooding the market with discounted stock at the moment,due to oversupply and the market slowing down, so they may be competitive with Giant now.
Four of my mtb'ing group have had motor issues with their Specialized. This is my 2nd Giant Trance and no motor or other issues in over 15,000 km.
At the end of the day it is personal choice.
I should point out that the NZ market is dominated by Giant and Specialized, so I can't comment on other Makes of e-MTBs.

rzr

Sep 26, 2022
bcn
after reading a lot of reviews, Trek Rail was descibed as really good bike (descending/enduro type), however after riding one for a month, i didn't like Bosch, zero intregration, no adjustability, a lot of sounds, clunky controls, clearly not designed for MTB.
reviews were also saying that Levo is even better, the pinnacle.
And it is. way more aggressive geo, tiny and functional controls, modes customisations from phone, quiet on descends - truly amazing bike.
Full power ebike, not too heavy - 22.5kg, I don't need 170-190mm travel, coz bike would be probably too heavy and not nimble/playful enough (and you can be faster on a bike with less travel).

I can imagine Kenevo SL could be even better, but i want bigger battery for bigger rides.

Last edited:

BeBiker

Aug 26, 2020
Belgium
>700Wh --- Color/Decals --- Nextdoor Availability --- Price
--------------------------------------------------------
This is what ChatGPT generated:

Choosing an eMTB (Electric Mountain Bike) can be an overwhelming task with the abundance of options available in the market. However, having specific preferences can simplify the process and help make the best decision. This article will outline my process of selecting an eMTB based on four preferences: 700Wh battery, color/decals, nextdoor availability, and price.

The first preference was for a 700Wh battery. I was looking for an eMTB with a longer battery life, so I can enjoy extended rides without worrying about running out of juice. A 700Wh battery is more than enough to last for several hours of riding, making it a reliable choice for longer adventures.

Next, I was looking for a color/decal that would appeal to me aesthetically. I was drawn to bikes with vibrant colors and bold decals, as it would add to the overall look of the bike. I wanted something that would make me stand out from the crowd and also reflect my personality.

My third preference was for nextdoor availability. I wanted to be able to test ride the eMTB before making a final purchase, so I looked for local bike shops that carried the model I was interested in. This was important to me, as I wanted to ensure that the bike fit me well and was comfortable to ride.

Finally, I considered the price. I had a budget in mind, and I wanted to make sure that I was getting the best value for my money. I compared prices from several bike shops, both online and in-person, to make sure I was getting a fair deal.

In conclusion, having specific preferences helped me narrow down my options and made the process of selecting an eMTB much easier. I was able to find an eMTB that met all my criteria and was within my budget. I am confident that my final choice will serve me well for years to come.

Last edited:

rpurdie

Jan 12, 2023
UK
Just after lockdown I was fortunate enough to be able to test ride a Santa Cruz Heckler, a Whyte E-180 and a Specialized Kenevo back to back down some serious trails. The E-180 handled well but needed a lot of rider input and some medical stuff meant I wouldn't have enjoyed that so it wasn't for me. I didn't like the power modes on the motor either. The Kenevo was definitely the most powerful motor, the bike build quality felt cheap though. There were fixable things like the dropper but I didn't like the triple forks and making it what I'd have wanted would have pushed the price. The Heckler was way lighter and just felt polished in feel. I did like the controls/display best of any of them and it felt quite like my Nomad which I'd been very happy with. I bought the Heckler I demo'd. Despite the Shimano motor worries and the batteries being rubbish, I don't regret it, had a lot of fun with it.

madsen203

Mar 16, 2022
Bay Area, California
I chose the Tazer MX Pro (2021) because it was such a great value. Dual crown Ohlins suspension, mullet set up, latest shimano EP8 motor, top of line Magura MT7 brakes, carbon frame, and it came with a tool kit. It was $9k + tax and I got it shipped to my door for 7,400 OTD. It’s an incredibly value. Competes with other bikes specced at 10-11k+. It’s not pretty, not well known, but it works. They have excellent customer service and parts availability.

For me it was hard to swallow $8k for a bicycle. All of the dirt bikes I’ve bought combined barely hit that figure and they come with bigger, stronger parts + a real motor. It was even more difficult to convince the wife.

I think I would have like to get the Specialized mullet bike but they were easily 50% more all said and done and unavailable. The Tazer is about 1-3# heavier than the competition but as a newbie I probably wouldn’t notice.

Overall, I’m happy with the purchase. It’s a great downhill sled, gets up some incredibly steep hills, and has taken a beating in the past 400 miles I’ve put onto it. Going to be tearing into it this weekend to retorque all the bolts as I notice vibration works some of them loose after awhile.

To op: if you can try various bikes out, it may help your decision making. Feeling how they are balanced, powered, suspended, will all play a role. My buddies Specialized I hate because it is not balanced the same as the Tazer.

Happy cycling!

madsen203

Mar 16, 2022
Bay Area, California
Just after lockdown I was fortunate enough to be able to test ride a Santa Cruz Heckler, a Whyte E-180 and a Specialized Kenevo back to back down some serious trails. The E-180 handled well but needed a lot of rider input and some medical stuff meant I wouldn't have enjoyed that so it wasn't for me. I didn't like the power modes on the motor either. The Kenevo was definitely the most powerful motor, the bike build quality felt cheap though. There were fixable things like the dropper but I didn't like the triple forks and making it what I'd have wanted would have pushed the price. The Heckler was way lighter and just felt polished in feel. I did like the controls/display best of any of them and it felt quite like my Nomad which I'd been very happy with. I bought the Heckler I demo'd. Despite the Shimano motor worries and the batteries being rubbish, I don't regret it, had a lot of fun with it.
Similar experience with Kenevo. It seemed underwhelming.

My only gripe is a 504wh battery but generally, my short rides I don’t even burn though that. I generally get 3-4K if climbing and 13-17 miles per battery.

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore
I chose my most recent EMTB (I have too many) because it seemed to be the best option bike for my use with the motor that I wanted (Polini MX).

An added bonus (though I didn't realise it at the time) was that it comes with EXT suspension, which is incredible. (The lower spec version of the bike comes with Ohlins).

1500 miles on and I still love it.

It's a 'Fulgur Mula'.

sam.spoons

Sep 8, 2022
M11MM
My wife rode a mates full suss bike for a couple of minutes and decided she wanted an ebike. We ended up buying her a Trek Verve + which she loves and suits her 'off-road phobic' needs perfectly. I wanted something lighter and have always ridden hard tails so the choice was pretty limited but a local bike shop had an Orbea Urrun 30 in stock in the colour I wanted so that was that.

Am I happy I made the right choice? Yes, I love the motor, Shimao Deore has been a favourite drivetrain since my Orange Clockwork in the '80s, the relatively budget Magura brakes are excellent and the bike feels very well put together.

Would I buy something different if I bought again? Possibly but only if I had a fair bit more money to spend.

Is it perfect? No, of course not :LOL: I have the small but stand over hight is barely acceptable for me at 5' 6"/168cm, they recommend the small frame for riders from 5' 1" to 5' 7" but how the hell a 5' 1" rider would cope with the 31.4" standover :oops: Why they didn't opt for 27er wheels on the small frame is a mystery but from what I can gather most eMTBs present similar problems for us short4r5e5. ;) I upgraded the display and seat post but the originals were perfectly serviceable.

Overall though I'm very happy with the bike and so far it has allowed me to revisit a couple of trails I peddled back in the day and, with significantly more off road experience, to keep up with my road biking obsessed son.

Last edited:

Alexbn921

Sep 27, 2021
East Bay CA
I wanted the longest travel badest bike made with at least a 700 battery.
I also wanted a triple clamp fork and super long chain stays. I ride an XXL.
Went with a Kenevo and basically swapped out the entire spec to the best of the best. No other bike is as capable, except for the Pole.
I had a light build and a heavy build. the heavy one is way faster DH and much more comfortable.

ecotrials

Sep 9, 2019
Lafayette, CA, USA
Started investigating emtb brands in 2019. Very impressed with Levo, but hampered by price. Then found out about the BLevo app for Brose bikes. Bought the app for <$10. Finally test rode a medium sized Expert in mid 2020. Setup BLevo app and went for a couple of rides. It totally blew away all my concerns about hills to steep or poor traction. Ordered a large alloy 2021 Comp and had to wait the 4 weeks for it to arrive. Got a call back from the LBS after my enquiring about when the bike would arrive (six weeks after ordering). They offered me a 2 day use of a Levo SL Expert to see how I liked it. It was OK, but I wanted the full power motor & 700 wh battery, so waited. Comp arrived after total of 8 weeks. Decided to wrap the frame to protect it, and waiting for the wrap kit to arrive from England (they STRONGLY advised ordering only after having bike in hand as the wrap kit was not refundable). So I didn't ride the bike until it was wrapped. Inaugural ride was 25miles, 6000ft of ascent, woo-hoo! This bike changed my life, I now have just over 3300 miles with over 673,000 feet of ascent and 500 hours of saddle time. When I bought the Levo, I was convinced this would be the last bike I ever bought, being 70 at the time and feeling like I lost a bit of energy every year. Now I think I might one more, but have to be patient for someone to make it. Ideally it will have a great motor coupled to a centrally located transmission with a Gates belt drive and a good sized battery (unless the can get regen to work, in which case 700wh should be sufficient). I find shifting/derailleur and chain maintenance is what I work on most. This should be severely reduced on the new version.
I have a goal to try and ride all the fire roads of the park near my house which is 3500 acres with 52 miles of fire roads. The shortest route I have figured out is nearly 63 miles, and the park is very hilly. My longest attempt so far has been 55 miles, 9000 feet of climbing, 9 hours in the saddle consuming 93% of the battery.
BTW, the steepest hill I have measured is 46.5% grade and is soft, rutty and rooty as well as steep. I think I have ridden this hill around 35 times and only made it 3 times where I did not have to dismount and push (thanks for walk assist 😀). Who knows if I will ever achieve this goal.
Sorry for the long winded entry.

darvd29

Dec 17, 2022
Poland
I couldn’t afford much so I decided to go for the cheapest e-bike with full suspension and mid-drive motor which happened to be Decathlon Stilus v2 2021. What I paid back then in my local currency equals 3400 EUR today and I believe that is quite a good price for a bike with Bosch gen 4 motor and 625Wh battery. It turned out to be quite nice even though it was specced with the lowest SRAM SX gear.

Since I bought it almost two years ago I saved more money and just upgraded the suspension from garbage RS 35 27.5” fork to Lyrik 2023 Ultimate 29”, rear Select to 2023 Ultimate, the drivetrain to SRAM GX (which along the 29” fork required new XD-based wheelset so I went for DT Swiss HX1700), and Code RSC brake set. The upgrades cost me around 2500 EUR total (along other accessories such as grips, pedals, steerer tube multitool, renthal bars, dropper remote, 223mm disc brakes, matchmakers x clamps), and in result the only original parts left are the frame, motor, battery, dropper, and cranks 😅.

The result is a 6000 EUR e-bike specced exactly as I wanted. Was it worth it? I don’t know yet, but I’ll surely be riding the hell out of it this season!

valecek

Apr 20, 2023
Slovakia
my terms were clear. high load capacity, removable battery, good brakes, bosch engine and what was in stock 2 years ago. it was during the period of lockouts, covid and there was not much in stock. despite several replaced parts, I am still satisfied with the mondraker crafty RR 2021. if there was a configuration option, I would replace the fox damping with a rock shox. size L is a little big for me, but since my son and I drove hundreds of kilometers with the mac ride seat, I took L. the next bike will definitely be a little smaller

RiderOnTheStorm

Not sure if the op still needs input but here was my thought process:
  • Set budget limit
  • Online research and narrow down short list of ebikes matching my base criteria (the foundational stuff):
    • all mountain/enduro geometry. Alu rear triangle.
    • bosch cx motor. gen4 non-smart preferred.
    • Removable battery. 625wh min.
    • rockshox Zeb or equivalent fox/marzocchi suspension
    • sram gx or shimano xt transmission
    • 29" alu wheelset. Dtswiss preferred.
    • magura mt5/mt7 brakes, 200/220mm rotors
  • Determine the correct bike size (very important)
  • Find local shops that have my short listed brands/models available in my size. Visit shops and ask for a test drive.
  • Look for last year's models which are usually heavily discounted between December and January (until stocks are empty)
  • Purchase the bike, and hope for the best!
Hope this helps.

Last edited:

volts

May 15, 2018
DK
I chose my bike based on a lot of "i don't wants".
1) no shimano motor
2) no starship enterprise 1 controller
3) stealthy look (not clunky)
4) not too heavy
5) not noisy
6) no flimsy noodle rear end
7) trail geometry
8) able to be run as mullet

Trek fuel exe ticked the boxes.
Got the cheapest model and swapped everything except some of the cable routing.
I'm keeping the crappy components to put back on as new when I sell.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
4 years ago I had no idea what I was doing. My background was road and gravel. During a lengthy stay at a medical facility I was constantly asked; “What are your goals?”. I wanted to say “WTF do you think 🧐” but instead I said “to ride my bike again”.

Day1. When I returned home I climbed on the gravel bike and made a few passes while my wife videoed me. It really was a moment. Success. The following day I rode again but I was very nervous with vehicle traffic so I decided to hit the trails.
My first OTB happened when my front wheel (30mm) sunk into the soft ground. I continued on and hit some roots. The whole adventure was kinda funny.

After I limped home I decided to research mountain bikes. After all, I live on the side of a mountain with lots of trails. Maybe I needed to change my sport. The closest LBS was Trek.

Day 2; The sales people must of giggled to themselves when they saw me stagger in the showroom with the help of my wife. I don’t drink btw, but imagine a drunken sailor. That’s what I probably looked like …and still do kinda.

I had my eye on the Rail 9.7 but there were none available until Feb. 2020. I ordered one anyways…knowing that I would probably part with and sell my road and gravel bikes. I got the call in November 2019 that the Rail had arrived and would be ready the next day.

Since this type of bike was the first one through their store, they expected me to take the Rail for a test ride in the parking lot. NOT a Friggen chance. I didn’t want a group of sales people watch me fail. I’d do that on my own and save them the regret or laugher.

4 years later (today) I ride the same Rail 9.7. It’s more like a Rail 9.10 now. The frame, motor, shock and battery are the only original parts. Everything else was either broke, replaced or upgraded.

I could only do my research for an eMTB. I guess after many kms over the past 4 years I got lucky.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles