Hope upgrade 36t chainring.

Andy price

Jan 23, 2020
Staffordshire
Hi I'm looking for some help I'm wanting to change a chainring on a 2020 turbo levo comp. I'm wanting a 36t hope upgrade ( in purple ) but unsure witch one is the correct one. A part number or picture would be a great help. Many thanks Andy

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Is a purple chainring an upgrade? :unsure:

You just need any 4 bolt 104pcd ring.
And any decent Narrow Wide ring should be fine.
I just use £8 NWs from ebay
Hope's rings are kinda overpriced for what it they are.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Search "narrow wide 104 chainring" on ebay and look for a UK seller
there are a few under different branding eg. Snail, MOLTUV, STYX etc.
They're basically all the same ring.
make sure to get a round one and not oval.
They do come in colours. never payed any attention as to whether purple is an option.
Black/silver tend to look way less shit better once worn ;)

Last edited:

Andy price

Jan 23, 2020
Staffordshire
Search "narrow wide 104 chainring" on ebay and look for a UK seller
there are a few under different branding eg. Snail, MOLTUV, STYX etc.
They're basicalla ll the same ring.
make sure to get a round one and not oval.
They do come in colours. never payed any attention as to whether purple is an option.
Black/silver tend to look way less shit better once worn ;)
Thanks for getting back to me. ?

Thomas

Aug 29, 2018
Europe
Deckas are also dirt cheep and good. Got two of them from Allie and Ebay, just to see how they are made, surprisingly good.
US $6.33 62% OFF|Deckas Round Narrow Wide Chainring MTB Mountain bike bicycle 104BCD 32T 34T 36T 38T crankset Tooth plate Parts 104 BCD on AliExpress

DECKAS 104bcd Narrow Wide Chainring MTB Bike Round/Oval 32/34/36/38T Sprocket | eBay

Only one gripe, there is no indentation on the back, so the nut is not flush, but you can use little longer Nut/bolts, that are more comment in the stores.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Yeah DECKAS are pretty much the same thing

And yeah, For a Levo you'll be needing chainring bolts and nuts. same as pretty much every standard chainring needs

Last edited:

Andy price

Jan 23, 2020
Staffordshire

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Yes. Corrosion and strength/reliability.
Ive also seen far too many Alu chairing bolts come loose not long after fitting. (on normal bikes). Coincidence? Dunno.
Weight saving is negligible and Steel bolts in black almost always look better than coloured bolts (personal view)

neils

Aug 28, 2018
Wokingham UK
Yes. Corrosion and strength/reliability.
Ive also seen far too many Alu chairing bolts come loose not long after fitting. (on normal bikes). Coincidence? Dunno.
Weight saving is negligible and Steel bolts in black almost always look better than coloured bolts (personal view)

Most likely came loose as they didn't apply a little Loctite 243 Thread Locker (blue medium strength) when fitting new chainring bolts. I may try some steel ones this time round. (y)

Ally ones definitely could corrode.... I made the mistake once of fitting some fancy ally dust caps on my VW T5. Couldn't' t get them off after the winter! Had to get the wheels re-valved! I stick to the standard black plastic ones now! :giggle:

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
Is a purple chainring an upgrade? :unsure:

You just need any 4 bolt 104pcd ring.
And any decent Narrow Wide ring should be fine.
I just use £8 NWs from ebay
Hope's rings are kinda overpriced for what it they are.

Resurrecting this - I've just swapped out my Hope 36T chainring on my 2020 Levo as the teeth were knackered.

The original was fitted by Berkshire Bikes and worked a treat for a year or so.

Checking the Hope on the bike - the code is 104 BCD - 36T - RR. I bought the replacement from Merlin who didn't stipulate it was BCD but luckily the codes matched ring to ring. Its a narrow wide, 4 arm/bolt.

I get the 36T - RR bit = 36T retainer ring.

After checking, quite a few other forums state BCD is different to PCD and not to buy the wrong one. but good old Wikipedia states PCD is just another name for BCD.

Can anyone advise on whether BCD is different from PCD, and how?

neils

Aug 28, 2018
Wokingham UK
They are the same thing.... Bolt Circle Diameter or Pitch Circle Diameter just two slightly different names

Correct me if I'm wrong anyone ???

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles